    Anyone want to point me in the right direction model-wise? I guess 8 speed
    would be good :)

    Worm
    Worm, Jul 12, 2004

  2. Worm

    JedMeister Guest

    Consider a Sony Dual layer writer. It's also multi format (+-R/RW) and
    supports 8x. But, they are a little more expensive at around 300bucks or so
    but you did not mention a budget.

    Although Dual Layer media is expensive (approx 25 NZD per disc), over time
    it will decrease. In the meanwhile, you can use the other formats.

    "Worm" <> wrote in message
    > Not wanting to start a big DVD format bitching thread...but I'm in the
    > market for a DVD writer. Well I was going to buy just a DVD drive...but

    the

    JedMeister, Jul 12, 2004

  3. Worm

    A Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 22:47:13 +1200, "Worm"
    <> wrote:

    >Not wanting to start a big DVD format bitching thread...but I'm in the
    >market for a DVD writer. Well I was going to buy just a DVD drive...but the
    >writers seem cheap enough to give a go!
    >
    >Anyone want to point me in the right direction model-wise? I guess 8 speed
    >would be good :)
    >

    >Worm

    You could consider a Liteon 812s. 8x write speed but also through a
    firmware hack/upgrade you can convert it to a 832s which ha dual layer
    writing capability (not that that's any use yet at the moment as DL
    media is both rare, expensive, and not that compatible with standard
    DVD players)
    A, Jul 12, 2004
  4. Worm

    Dogg Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 07:05:05 +1200, "JedMeister"
    <> wrote:

    >Consider a Sony Dual layer writer. It's also multi format (+-R/RW) and
    >supports 8x. But, they are a little more expensive at around 300bucks or so
    >but you did not mention a budget.
    >
    >Although Dual Layer media is expensive (approx 25 NZD per disc), over time
    >it will decrease. In the meanwhile, you can use the other formats.

    <snip>

    I haven't been able to find dual layer discs anywhere. Can you
    recommend someone?
    Dogg, Jul 12, 2004
  5. Worm

    JedMeister Guest

    They are available overseas...
    e.g...

    http://www.techdepot.com/product.asp?productid=1997581&affid=10000485

    Usual NZ story, they will become available soon, initially marked up 100% to
    200% on overseas prices until economies of scale reduce the price to
    affordable levels.

    JedMeister, Jul 12, 2004
  6. Worm

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 08:28:54 +1200, Dogg <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 07:05:05 +1200, "JedMeister"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Consider a Sony Dual layer writer. It's also multi format (+-R/RW) and
    >>supports 8x. But, they are a little more expensive at around 300bucks or so
    >>but you did not mention a budget.
    >>
    >>Although Dual Layer media is expensive (approx 25 NZD per disc), over time
    >>it will decrease. In the meanwhile, you can use the other formats.

    ><snip>
    >
    >I haven't been able to find dual layer discs anywhere. Can you
    >recommend someone?

    Tastech has the Verbatim 8.4Gb duel layer for $12.50
    Craig Shore, Jul 13, 2004
  7. In article <>,
    says...
    > <snip>
    >
    > I haven't been able to find dual layer discs anywhere. Can you
    > recommend someone?

    Just got Ascent's newsletter today - they have them on offer.

    -P.
    Peter Huebner, Jul 14, 2004
  8. Worm

    colinco Guest

    In article <>,
    ess says...
    > > I haven't been able to find dual layer discs anywhere. Can you
    > > recommend someone?
    > >

    > Just got Ascent's newsletter today - they have them on offer.

    At about half the speed and 4 times the price they can offer away
    colinco, Jul 14, 2004