    So... Im looking for a new DVD writer.... recommendations ? And please, no
    "I told you so" posts from Woger and followers ;)
    Budget is $100 so no top of the line jobs thanks :p

    XPD, Jan 1, 2006

  2. "XPD" <....nz> wrote in message
    news:...
    > After sitting in this very group singing this DVD writers praises, Im now
    > taking it all back..... my Liteon DVDRW SOHW 1673S is pissing me off.....
    > maybe its due to overuse but who knows.... have tried about 3 different
    > branded DVDs in it lately and all have had issues. Writes discs fine but
    > wont read and so on....
    >
    > So... Im looking for a new DVD writer.... recommendations ? And please, no
    > "I told you so" posts from Woger and followers ;)
    > Budget is $100 so no top of the line jobs thanks :p

    which formats should it support? DVD comes in +rw and -rw models.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Jan 1, 2006

  3. XPD

    Steve Guest

    On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 09:20:19 +1300, XPD wrote:

    > After sitting in this very group singing this DVD writers praises, Im now
    > taking it all back..... my Liteon DVDRW SOHW 1673S is pissing me off.....
    > maybe its due to overuse but who knows.... have tried about 3 different
    > branded DVDs in it lately and all have had issues. Writes discs fine but
    > wont read and so on....
    >
    > So... Im looking for a new DVD writer.... recommendations ? And please, no
    > "I told you so" posts from Woger and followers ;)
    > Budget is $100 so no top of the line jobs thanks :p

    Is your firmware up to date? Otherwise, my BTC DRW1116IM is working fine,
    although I don't use it heavily.

    steve

    Steve, Jan 1, 2006
  4. XPD

    XPD Guest

    "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message

    > "XPD" <....nz> wrote in message
    >> After sitting in this very group singing this DVD writers praises, Im now
    >> taking it all back..... my Liteon DVDRW SOHW 1673S is pissing me
    >> off..... maybe its due to overuse but who knows.... have tried about 3
    >> different branded DVDs in it lately and all have had issues. Writes discs
    >> fine but wont read and so on....
    >>
    >> So... Im looking for a new DVD writer.... recommendations ? And please,
    >> no "I told you so" posts from Woger and followers ;)
    >> Budget is $100 so no top of the line jobs thanks :p
    >>

    > which formats should it support? DVD comes in +rw and -rw models.

    Oh yeah....Dual format/layer pls :)
    (most are these days anyway arent they)

    XPD, Jan 1, 2006
  5. "XPD" <....nz> wrote in message

    > "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "XPD" <....nz> wrote in message
    >>> After sitting in this very group singing this DVD writers praises, Im
    >>> now taking it all back..... my Liteon DVDRW SOHW 1673S is pissing me
    >>> off..... maybe its due to overuse but who knows.... have tried about 3
    >>> different branded DVDs in it lately and all have had issues. Writes
    >>> discs fine but wont read and so on....
    >>>
    >>> So... Im looking for a new DVD writer.... recommendations ? And please,
    >>> no "I told you so" posts from Woger and followers ;)
    >>> Budget is $100 so no top of the line jobs thanks :p
    >>>

    >> which formats should it support? DVD comes in +rw and -rw models.
    >>

    > Oh yeah....Dual format/layer pls :)
    > (most are these days anyway arent they)

    OK, I did not know that , the last one I bought was in 2003 :)

    news.xtra.co.nz, Jan 1, 2006
  6. XPD

    smf Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 09:20:19 +1300, XPD wrote:
    >
    >> After sitting in this very group singing this DVD writers praises, Im now
    >> taking it all back..... my Liteon DVDRW SOHW 1673S is pissing me off.....
    >> maybe its due to overuse but who knows.... have tried about 3 different
    >> branded DVDs in it lately and all have had issues. Writes discs fine but
    >> wont read and so on....
    >>
    >> So... Im looking for a new DVD writer.... recommendations ? And please, no
    >> "I told you so" posts from Woger and followers ;)
    >> Budget is $100 so no top of the line jobs thanks :p

    > Is your firmware up to date? Otherwise, my BTC DRW1116IM is working fine,
    > although I don't use it heavily.
    >
    > steve

    I picked up an NEC through firstin .... its been excellent. Its actually
    in an external case so I can use it on many machines. Not had a problem
    with it yet - all for $80 plus shipping. It burns dual layer and does
    all I need it to do. Probably burnt maybe 100 discs with it I guess
    since new and not a dud yet.
    Prior to this one I had a Liteon that burnt the occasional bad disc (it
    was picky with the media) - a very early BTC that went really well but
    was terribly slow....

    Sue

    smf, Jan 1, 2006
  7. XPD

    gimp Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > So... Im looking for a new DVD writer.... recommendations ? And please, no
    > "I told you so" posts from Woger and followers ;)
    > Budget is $100 so no top of the line jobs thanks :p

    if you want affordable but reliable, the BENQ DW1640 has been getting
    good reviews at anandtech,
    http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2470&p=13

    i'm not sure on its feature set compared to other drives.. but i'm
    waiting for the courier to arrive with mine :)

    gimp, Jan 1, 2006
  8. XPD

    ~misfit~ Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > After sitting in this very group singing this DVD writers praises, Im
    > now taking it all back..... my Liteon DVDRW SOHW 1673S is pissing me
    > off..... maybe its due to overuse but who knows.... have tried about
    > 3 different branded DVDs in it lately and all have had issues. Writes
    > discs fine but wont read and so on....
    >
    > So... Im looking for a new DVD writer.... recommendations ? And
    > please, no "I told you so" posts from Woger and followers ;)
    > Budget is $100 so no top of the line jobs thanks :p

    Oh shit!! I bought one of those suckers, partly on your endorsement of it.
    It's been good to date. <crosses everything that can be crossed without too
    much pain>
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 1, 2006
  9. XPD

    Oi Guest

    On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 09:20:19 +1300, "XPD" <....nz>
    wrote:

    >After sitting in this very group singing this DVD writers praises, Im now
    >taking it all back..... my Liteon DVDRW SOHW 1673S is pissing me off.....
    >maybe its due to overuse but who knows.... have tried about 3 different
    >branded DVDs in it lately and all have had issues. Writes discs fine but
    >wont read and so on....
    >
    >So... Im looking for a new DVD writer.... recommendations ? And please, no
    >"I told you so" posts from Woger and followers ;)
    >Budget is $100 so no top of the line jobs thanks :p

    Try turning it into a 1693S here before spending any dosh:
    http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares/dvdrw/1693S.KC4B.patched-cf.rar

    Oi, Jan 1, 2006
  10. XPD

    Oi Guest

    On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 12:46:48 +1300, Oi <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 09:20:19 +1300, "XPD" <....nz>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>After sitting in this very group singing this DVD writers praises, Im now
    >>taking it all back..... my Liteon DVDRW SOHW 1673S is pissing me off.....
    >>maybe its due to overuse but who knows.... have tried about 3 different
    >>branded DVDs in it lately and all have had issues. Writes discs fine but
    >>wont read and so on....
    >>
    >>So... Im looking for a new DVD writer.... recommendations ? And please, no
    >>"I told you so" posts from Woger and followers ;)
    >>Budget is $100 so no top of the line jobs thanks :p

    Try turning it into a 1693S here before spending any dosh:
    http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares/dvdrw/1693S.KC4B.patched-cf.rar,
    but be sure what you're doing. Read http://codeguys.rpc1.org/oc.html.

    Good Luck

    Oi, Jan 1, 2006
  11. XPD

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    ....nz says...
    > After sitting in this very group singing this DVD writers praises, Im now
    > taking it all back..... my Liteon DVDRW SOHW 1673S is pissing me off.....
    > maybe its due to overuse but who knows.... have tried about 3 different
    > branded DVDs in it lately and all have had issues. Writes discs fine but
    > wont read and so on....
    >
    > So... Im looking for a new DVD writer.... recommendations ? And please, no
    > "I told you so" posts from Woger and followers ;)
    > Budget is $100 so no top of the line jobs thanks :p

    Stretch your budget to $150 and you can get a very good one in this
    price range.

    Pay cheap, get junk.

    Rob J, Jan 2, 2006
  12. XPD

    Rob J Guest

    In article <dp9kp3$gp7$>, says...
    > XPD wrote:
    > > So... Im looking for a new DVD writer.... recommendations ? And please, no
    > > "I told you so" posts from Woger and followers ;)
    > > Budget is $100 so no top of the line jobs thanks :p

    > if you want affordable but reliable, the BENQ DW1640 has been getting
    > good reviews at anandtech,
    > http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2470&p=13
    >
    > i'm not sure on its feature set compared to other drives.. but i'm
    > waiting for the courier to arrive with mine :)

    The newest Sony DRU810A is a rebadged Benq 1640, it must be OK then :)

    Rob J, Jan 2, 2006
  13. XPD

    PC Guest

    "XPD" <....nz> wrote in message
    > After sitting in this very group singing this DVD writers praises, Im now
    > taking it all back..... my Liteon DVDRW SOHW 1673S is pissing me off.....
    > maybe its due to overuse but who knows.... have tried about 3 different
    > branded DVDs in it lately and all have had issues. Writes discs fine but
    > wont read and so on....
    >
    > So... Im looking for a new DVD writer.... recommendations ? And please, no
    > "I told you so" posts from Woger and followers ;)
    > Budget is $100 so no top of the line jobs thanks :p

    OK I'll bite

    LG GSA-4163B CD/CDR/CDRW, DVD+ R/RW/DL, DVD-R/RW, DVD RAM
    Can be slow mounting media but have 3 on the go at the moment, 2 doing
    nightly db backups to DVD-RAM

    or the newer

    LG GSA-4167B CD/CDR/CDRW, DVD+/- R/RW/DL, DVD RAM
    Can be slow mounting media but have 2 in clients PC's
    The '7' is also quite a bit shorter and may suit someone with a 'tight'
    case.

    Both retail <$100 at PBTech.

    P.

    PC, Jan 2, 2006
  14. XPD

    A Guest

    On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 11:22:13 +1300, smf <time.enough***@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Steve wrote:
    >> On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 09:20:19 +1300, XPD wrote:
    >>
    >>> After sitting in this very group singing this DVD writers praises, Im now
    >>> taking it all back..... my Liteon DVDRW SOHW 1673S is pissing me off.....
    >>> maybe its due to overuse but who knows.... have tried about 3 different
    >>> branded DVDs in it lately and all have had issues. Writes discs fine but
    >>> wont read and so on....
    >>>
    >>> So... Im looking for a new DVD writer.... recommendations ? And please, no
    >>> "I told you so" posts from Woger and followers ;)
    >>> Budget is $100 so no top of the line jobs thanks :p

    >> Is your firmware up to date? Otherwise, my BTC DRW1116IM is working fine,
    >> although I don't use it heavily.
    >>
    >> steve
    >>

    >I picked up an NEC through firstin .... its been excellent. Its actually
    >in an external case so I can use it on many machines. Not had a problem
    >with it yet - all for $80 plus shipping. It burns dual layer and does
    >all I need it to do. Probably burnt maybe 100 discs with it I guess
    >since new and not a dud yet.
    >Prior to this one I had a Liteon that burnt the occasional bad disc (it
    >was picky with the media) - a very early BTC that went really well but
    >was terribly slow....
    >
    >Sue

    On the subject of the NEC, I picked up 2 from firstin as well (3520
    and 3540). I kept the 3520 for myself and it has a number of firmware
    hacks to region unlock it and set the booktype.

    My xbox won't play DVD-R and has trouble with DVD+R but once I set the
    booktype to DVD-ROM it works fine.

    A, Jan 2, 2006
  15. XPD

    GraB Guest

    On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 10:01:40 +1300, "XPD" <....nz>
    wrote:

    >"news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "XPD" <....nz> wrote in message
    >>> After sitting in this very group singing this DVD writers praises, Im now
    >>> taking it all back..... my Liteon DVDRW SOHW 1673S is pissing me
    >>> off..... maybe its due to overuse but who knows.... have tried about 3
    >>> different branded DVDs in it lately and all have had issues. Writes discs
    >>> fine but wont read and so on....
    >>>
    >>> So... Im looking for a new DVD writer.... recommendations ? And please,
    >>> no "I told you so" posts from Woger and followers ;)
    >>> Budget is $100 so no top of the line jobs thanks :p
    >>>

    >> which formats should it support? DVD comes in +rw and -rw models.
    >>

    >Oh yeah....Dual format/layer pls :)
    >(most are these days anyway arent they)

    Try and find one that isn't.

    GraB, Jan 2, 2006
  16. XPD

    J Brockley Guest

    "XPD" <....nz> wrote in message
    > After sitting in this very group singing this DVD writers praises, Im now
    > taking it all back..... my Liteon DVDRW SOHW 1673S is pissing me off.....
    > maybe its due to overuse but who knows.... have tried about 3 different
    > branded DVDs in it lately and all have had issues. Writes discs fine but
    > wont read and so on....
    >
    > So... Im looking for a new DVD writer.... recommendations ? And please, no
    > "I told you so" posts from Woger and followers ;)
    > Budget is $100 so no top of the line jobs thanks :p

    LG 4167 work for me, $75 at xpcomputers.

    J Brockley, Jan 2, 2006
  17. XPD

    Mutley Guest

    "XPD" <....nz> wrote:

    >After sitting in this very group singing this DVD writers praises, Im now
    >taking it all back..... my Liteon DVDRW SOHW 1673S is pissing me off.....
    >maybe its due to overuse but who knows.... have tried about 3 different
    >branded DVDs in it lately and all have had issues. Writes discs fine but
    >wont read and so on....
    >
    >So... Im looking for a new DVD writer.... recommendations ? And please, no
    >"I told you so" posts from Woger and followers ;)
    >Budget is $100 so no top of the line jobs thanks :p

    You could try the Pioneer 110D $73.70
    http://supercheappc.biz/site/produc...d=313&osCsid=4acf6cc6d93cb1f8926644b032054e3d

    However I believe that the 110D does not write to DVDRAM only
    read..and I don't see any regular 110s on Pricespy..

    Article on it..
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/243

    Mutley, Jan 2, 2006
  18. XPD

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Oi wrote:
    > On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 12:46:48 +1300, Oi <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 09:20:19 +1300, "XPD" <....nz>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> After sitting in this very group singing this DVD writers praises,
    >>> Im now taking it all back..... my Liteon DVDRW SOHW 1673S is
    >>> pissing me off..... maybe its due to overuse but who knows.... have
    >>> tried about 3 different branded DVDs in it lately and all have had
    >>> issues. Writes discs fine but wont read and so on....
    >>>
    >>> So... Im looking for a new DVD writer.... recommendations ? And
    >>> please, no "I told you so" posts from Woger and followers ;)
    >>> Budget is $100 so no top of the line jobs thanks :p
    >>>

    > Try turning it into a 1693S here before spending any dosh:
    > http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares/dvdrw/1693S.KC4B.patched-cf.rar,
    > but be sure what you're doing. Read http://codeguys.rpc1.org/oc.html.

    Ok, I've (perhaps prematurely) flashed my drive with that firmware and it
    now appears to be a 1693S. I'm going to do a full back-up of drive C:
    momentarilly. Cross your fingers for me.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 2, 2006
  19. XPD

    Oi Guest

    On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 20:54:53 +1300, "~misfit~" <>
    wrote:

    >Oi wrote:
    >> On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 12:46:48 +1300, Oi <> wrote:

    >> Try turning it into a 1693S here before spending any dosh:
    >> http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares/dvdrw/1693S.KC4B.patched-cf.rar,
    >> but be sure what you're doing. Read http://codeguys.rpc1.org/oc.html.

    >Ok, I've (perhaps prematurely) flashed my drive with that firmware and it
    >now appears to be a 1693S. I'm going to do a full back-up of drive C:
    >momentarilly. Cross your fingers for me.

    Fingers crossed.

    Oi, Jan 2, 2006
  20. XPD

    XP Guest

    On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 09:20:19 +1300, "XPD" <....nz> wrote:

    >After sitting in this very group singing this DVD writers praises, Im now
    >taking it all back..... my Liteon DVDRW SOHW 1673S is pissing me off.....
    >maybe its due to overuse but who knows.... have tried about 3 different
    >branded DVDs in it lately and all have had issues. Writes discs fine but
    >wont read and so on....
    >
    >So... Im looking for a new DVD writer.... recommendations ? And please, no
    >"I told you so" posts from Woger and followers ;)
    >Budget is $100 so no top of the line jobs thanks :p

    Just read this Article, NEC came out best

    http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/30/the_latest_dvd_writers_true_speeds/

    XP, Jan 2, 2006