    time to get a new one.
    Any recommedations ?
    Dont really care about speed, just something reliable and "cheap" ;)

    XPD, May 12, 2005

  2. XPD

    JC Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Well, my Liteon DVD+R drive just gave up burning stuff...... so guess its
    > time to get a new one.
    > Any recommedations ?
    > Dont really care about speed, just something reliable and "cheap" ;)

    I was about to post the same subject as you, bizarre.
    I was looking at BTC writers today, comments on those anyone?

    JC, May 12, 2005

  3. XPD

    CSE Guest

    On Thu, 12 May 2005 22:07:40 +1200, "XPD" <> wrote:

    >Well, my Liteon DVD+R drive just gave up burning stuff...... so guess its
    >time to get a new one.
    >Any recommedations ?
    >Dont really care about speed, just something reliable and "cheap" ;)

    Seems to be that the most used drive is a NEC..

    I posted a link about this some time back

    The Cheapest I have come across was a Ricoh DVD+R

    CSE, May 12, 2005
  4. XPD

    CSE Guest

    On Thu, 12 May 2005 22:15:30 +1200, JC <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Well, my Liteon DVD+R drive just gave up burning stuff...... so guess its
    >> time to get a new one.
    >> Any recommedations ?
    >> Dont really care about speed, just something reliable and "cheap" ;)
    >>

    >I was about to post the same subject as you, bizarre.
    >I was looking at BTC writers today, comments on those anyone?

    But what is the support like with firmware upgrades ???

    CSE, May 12, 2005
  5. XPD

    Andrew Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > Well, my Liteon DVD+R drive just gave up burning stuff...... so guess its
    > time to get a new one.
    > Any recommedations ?
    > Dont really care about speed, just something reliable and "cheap" ;)

    i just bought a benq after the previous threads, it was cheap ($130
    delivered with a 50 spindle of blank dvd's)

    im quite impressed its doing very well :)

    Andrew, May 12, 2005
  6. XPD

    Rob J Guest

    In article <> in nz.comp on
    Thu, 12 May 2005 22:07:40 +1200, XPD <> says...
    > Well, my Liteon DVD+R drive just gave up burning stuff...... so guess its
    > time to get a new one.
    > Any recommedations ?
    > Dont really care about speed, just something reliable and "cheap" ;)

    We picked up a Sony DRU-720A for $130+GST the other day. Good value.

    Rob J, May 12, 2005
  7. XPD

    Andrew Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > Well, my Liteon DVD+R drive just gave up burning stuff...... so guess its
    > time to get a new one.
    > Any recommedations ?
    > Dont really care about speed, just something reliable and "cheap" ;)

    That came from qmb btw, it was the 16x model and came with 8x blanks

    Andrew, May 12, 2005
  8. XPD

    XPD Guest

    Hisss... dont mention that store around me..... :)

    But yeah, Ive heard good things about BenQ stuff......

    XPD, May 12, 2005
  9. XPD

    cowboyz Guest

    On Thu, 12 May 2005 23:24:10 +1200, CSE <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 12 May 2005 22:15:30 +1200, JC
    > <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...
    >>> Well, my Liteon DVD+R drive just gave up burning stuff...... so guess
    >>> its
    >>> time to get a new one.
    >>> Any recommedations ?
    >>> Dont really care about speed, just something reliable and "cheap" ;)
    >>>

    >> I was about to post the same subject as you, bizarre.
    >> I was looking at BTC writers today, comments on those anyone?

    > But what is the support like with firmware upgrades ???

    who cares.

    I've seen a couple of those BTC writers. They worked. They are cheap.
    If they bugger out in 2 years then throw it away and buy something better
    (read blu-Ray, HD-DVD)

    I have a LG DVD-RAM myself and it is good. Never had any problems with
    it. Before that I had a Ricoh which was good. Never had problems with
    that either (I gave it away to a mate and brought the LG)

    cowboyz, May 12, 2005
  10. XPD

    cowboyz Guest

    On Thu, 12 May 2005 23:56:01 +1200, Andrew <>
    wrote:

    > XPD wrote:
    >> Well, my Liteon DVD+R drive just gave up burning stuff...... so guess
    >> its
    >> time to get a new one.
    >> Any recommedations ?
    >> Dont really care about speed, just something reliable and "cheap" ;)
    >>

    > i just bought a benq after the previous threads, it was cheap ($130
    > delivered with a 50 spindle of blank dvd's)
    >
    > im quite impressed its doing very well :)

    gezz. that is cheap. where from?

    cowboyz, May 12, 2005
  11. XPD

    cowboyz Guest

    On Thu, 12 May 2005 23:56:36 +1200, Andrew <>
    wrote:

    > XPD wrote:
    >> Well, my Liteon DVD+R drive just gave up burning stuff...... so guess
    >> its
    >> time to get a new one.
    >> Any recommedations ?
    >> Dont really care about speed, just something reliable and "cheap" ;)
    >>

    > That came from qmb btw, it was the 16x model and came with 8x blanks

    cheers. that was a quick reply (I should read through the thread before
    asking questions!

    cowboyz, May 12, 2005
  12. XPD

    cowboyz Guest

    On Thu, 12 May 2005 23:23:17 +1200, CSE <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 12 May 2005 22:07:40 +1200, "XPD" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Well, my Liteon DVD+R drive just gave up burning stuff...... so guess
    >> its
    >> time to get a new one.
    >> Any recommedations ?
    >> Dont really care about speed, just something reliable and "cheap" ;)
    >>

    > Seems to be that the most used drive is a NEC..
    >
    > I posted a link about this some time back
    >

    > The Cheapest I have come across was a Ricoh DVD+R

    The Ricoh is a good drive but why would you be recommended a single format
    writer in this day and age?

    cowboyz, May 12, 2005
  13. XPD

    Nova Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > Well, my Liteon DVD+R drive just gave up burning stuff...... so guess its
    > time to get a new one.
    > Any recommedations ?
    > Dont really care about speed, just something reliable and "cheap" ;)

    I would go for an LG, they came out looking very good in the cdrinfo
    reviews for quality of writing (writing with less errors than other drives)

    I have a pioneer which does the job, but if I was going to buy again,
    i'd get a LG just cause due to the fact that it writes less errors, also
    the LG support dvd-ram also which i dont believe any of the other drives
    too, of course you probably wont ever use that, but hey the lg drives
    are cheap so might as well get it, and lots of video cameras support
    dvd-ram too.

    But I wouldn't just buy what people say in here cause "i've had no
    problems" you should go to a review site, like cdrinnfo, cdrfreaks and
    read their comparisons, as they show you exactly the error rate of
    drives etc which can be important especially when you want to play back
    on stand alone players etc.

    Nova, May 12, 2005
  14. XPD

    CSE Guest

    On Fri, 13 May 2005 08:20:36 +1200, cowboyz <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 12 May 2005 23:23:17 +1200, CSE <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 12 May 2005 22:07:40 +1200, "XPD" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Well, my Liteon DVD+R drive just gave up burning stuff...... so guess
    >>> its
    >>> time to get a new one.
    >>> Any recommedations ?
    >>> Dont really care about speed, just something reliable and "cheap" ;)
    >>>

    >> Seems to be that the most used drive is a NEC..
    >>
    >> I posted a link about this some time back
    >>

    >> The Cheapest I have come across was a Ricoh DVD+R
    >>

    >The Ricoh is a good drive but why would you be recommended a single format
    >writer in this day and age?

    Why not, I see no reason at all for dual layer and the Ricoh can do Bit
    setting, Bookmarks etc, so any DVD+R can work as a DVD-R..

    So its not really a single format drive..

    Any way DVD+R is the current standard..

    CSE, May 13, 2005
  15. XPD

    MarkH Guest

    CSE <> wrote in

    > On Fri, 13 May 2005 08:20:36 +1200, cowboyz <> wrote:
    >
    >>The Ricoh is a good drive but why would you be recommended a single
    >>format writer in this day and age?

    > Why not, I see no reason at all for dual layer and the Ricoh can do
    > Bit setting, Bookmarks etc, so any DVD+R can work as a DVD-R..
    >
    > So its not really a single format drive..
    >
    > Any way DVD+R is the current standard..

    Not really a single format drive? It's not a multi format drive!

    If the best price on blank DVD disks is on good reliability DVD-R disks
    then you need a dual format DVD writer to use them, the Ricoh won’t work
    with DVD-R.

    My Pioneer will work with DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, CD-R and CD-RW, the
    LG mentioned in this thread will do those plus the DVD-RAM format as well.
    The Ricoh is probably a good drive, but it lacks the flexibility that other
    drives offer.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"

    MarkH, May 13, 2005
  16. XPD

    PC Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote in message
    > Hisss... dont mention that store around me..... :)
    >
    > But yeah, Ive heard good things about BenQ stuff......

    Benq = Acer if that helps.

    Paul.

    PC, May 13, 2005
  17. XPD

    PC Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote in message
    > Well, my Liteon DVD+R drive just gave up burning stuff...... so guess its
    > time to get a new one.
    > Any recommedations ?
    > Dont really care about speed, just something reliable and "cheap" ;)

    No contest

    LG GSA-4163B
    Nero Info Tool says it will do everthing except CD+G & Mt Ranier,
    PB Tech $133.88 retail box

    Paul.

    PC, May 13, 2005
  18. XPD

    Steven Ellis Guest

    PC wrote:
    > "XPD" <> wrote in message
    > > Well, my Liteon DVD+R drive just gave up burning stuff...... so

    guess its
    > > time to get a new one.
    > > Any recommedations ?
    > > Dont really care about speed, just something reliable and "cheap"

    ;)

    > No contest
    >
    > LG GSA-4163B
    > Nero Info Tool says it will do everthing except CD+G & Mt Ranier,
    > PB Tech $133.88 retail box

    Hmm.. The reference on Videohelp.com doesn't mention DVD-RDL support

    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters.php?DVDname=4163B

    Can anyone here confirm if this does work as i'm interested in this
    model and i've seen it for close to $100 ex GST on pricespy.

    Steve

    Steven Ellis, May 13, 2005
  19. On 13/05/2005 2:46 p.m., Steven Ellis wrote:
    > PC wrote:
    >
    >>LG GSA-4163B
    >>Nero Info Tool says it will do everthing except CD+G & Mt Ranier,
    >>PB Tech $133.88 retail box

    > Hmm.. The reference on Videohelp.com doesn't mention DVD-RDL support
    >
    > http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters.php?DVDname=4163B
    >
    > Can anyone here confirm if this does work as i'm interested in this
    > model and i've seen it for close to $100 ex GST on pricespy.

    According to Nero InfoTool my GSA-4163B does _not_ support DVD-R DL,
    only DVD+R DL.

    Cheers,

    Martin

    Martin Kaufmann, May 13, 2005
  20. XPD

    CSE Guest

    On Fri, 13 May 2005 01:01:03 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:

    >CSE <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Fri, 13 May 2005 08:20:36 +1200, cowboyz <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>The Ricoh is a good drive but why would you be recommended a single
    >>>format writer in this day and age?

    >> Why not, I see no reason at all for dual layer and the Ricoh can do
    >> Bit setting, Bookmarks etc, so any DVD+R can work as a DVD-R..
    >>
    >> So its not really a single format drive..
    >>
    >> Any way DVD+R is the current standard..

    >Not really a single format drive? It's not a multi format drive!
    >
    >If the best price on blank DVD disks is on good reliability DVD-R disks
    >then you need a dual format DVD writer to use them, the Ricoh won’t work
    >with DVD-R.
    >
    >My Pioneer will work with DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, CD-R and CD-RW, the
    >LG mentioned in this thread will do those plus the DVD-RAM format as well.
    >The Ricoh is probably a good drive, but it lacks the flexibility that other
    >drives offer.

    You dont need DVD-R as it can Bitset bookmark a DVD+R & a DVD+RW, to be a -R
    DVD, plus its only cost $80.

    Read about Bitsetting..

    The LG does not do cases double sided DVD-RAM..

    CSE, May 13, 2005