    broke it?

    Was that the reason?

    Its not a problem as the drive is not failing any discs...
    Andrew, Feb 3, 2006

  2. Andrew

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    news:59zEf.125901$...
    >I remember recently reading about this but i cant find the thread
    >
    > My drive is doing the same - windows thinks its a cd rom drive
    >
    > However i have not updated nero recently nor have i put on any windows
    > updates.. I think i remember reading that it was a windows update that
    > broke it?
    >
    > Was that the reason?
    >
    > Its not a problem as the drive is not failing any discs...

    Yea both me & misfit had the same problem.
    i tried a registry key hack, and worked on mine and not on his.

    maybe ping misfit and wait for a reply

    KB
    Krazy Bob, Feb 3, 2006

  3. Andrew

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Andrew wrote:
    > I remember recently reading about this but i cant find the thread
    >
    > My drive is doing the same - windows thinks its a cd rom drive
    >
    > However i have not updated nero recently nor have i put on any windows
    > updates.. I think i remember reading that it was a windows update that
    > broke it?
    >
    > Was that the reason?
    >
    > Its not a problem as the drive is not failing any discs...

    I was asked to look at a similar problem (but on a laptop) last weekend
    - a CDRW drive no longer being seen by Nero, etc, the drive having
    become a DVDROM drive.

    Should have seen the look on the owner's face when I explained that his
    drive had been swapped last time the laptop had been sent in for repair :)

    The repair shop owned up, and - good on them - found a CDRW drive and
    let him keep the DVDROM drive, too.
    -=rjh=-, Feb 3, 2006
  4. Andrew

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Andrew wrote:
    > I remember recently reading about this but i cant find the thread

    I can't remember what it was called.

    > My drive is doing the same - windows thinks its a cd rom drive

    Ain't Windows grand?

    > However i have not updated nero recently nor have i put on any windows
    > updates.. I think i remember reading that it was a windows update that
    > broke it?

    I think so. That was the only thing that had changed from one day to the
    next

    > Was that the reason?

    Your guess is as good as mine. I spent a lot of time with Google at the time
    but didn't find any answers.

    > Its not a problem as the drive is not failing any discs...

    Yeah, I came to the (incorrect) conclusion at the time that it was probably
    the drive. I returned it for a full refund that I put towards getting a more
    expensive drive. (Lucky I'm a bit anal about keeping original packaging and
    all items included for the period of the warranty).

    I ended up paying $33 more, plus gas money, and still had the problem
    (albeit with a better drive). I'd ruled out Windows as being the problem
    initially as I couldn't comlete writing a DVD after booting a Knoppix live
    CD. I've since been told that the cause of that was probably because Knoppix
    didn't allocate any HDD space as swap (that I know of, apparently if it does
    it asks permission and which partition to use. It didn't do either) as I
    have a gig of RAM. However, the lack of swap stuffed up the DVD writing.
    That's the theory anyway. So that put me crook and lead me to believe that
    it was a hardware problem.

    I'm pretty sure it's a Windows thing. However, unitstalling the last few
    updates didn't fix it for me. I still don't have it completely sorted. If
    the drive is enpty Windows calls it a DVD-RW drive. As soon as I put a disc
    in it, any disc, Windows calls it a CD drive.

    Reading from the disk isn't a problem. The problem arises when you try to
    write to the disk with any programme that relies on Windows to tell it that
    the drive is a DVD-RW. The only work-around I've found that partially fixes
    the problem (with Nero 6.6 at least) is to select 'DVD' at the top of Nero
    StartSmart (if you use that). I used to leave it set on CD/DVD and just
    select a disc-specific task. That doesn't work for me anymore. Nero
    constantly thinks that the disc is a CD under those conditions. Also, Nero
    barfs now and then when writing certain discs that it used to write to just
    fine. I have installed CDBurnerXP Pro3, a freeware CD / DVD writing proggy.
    However, that doesn't like (multi-session) DVD-RW's. It works out ok as
    Nero's fine with those but doesn't like DVD+RW's so I use CDBurnerXP for
    that. Obviously all the above is what's happening on my machine, yours may
    differ. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Nero without the Nero updates
    first but that didn't help. Maybe buying Nero 7 instead of using the OEM
    Nero 6.6 suite that comes with most drives would help. Then again...

    Good luck.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Feb 3, 2006
  5. Andrew

    cracker Guest

    Andrew wrote:

    > I remember recently reading about this but i cant find the thread
    >
    > My drive is doing the same - windows thinks its a cd rom drive
    >
    > However i have not updated nero recently nor have i put on any windows
    > updates.. I think i remember reading that it was a windows update that
    > broke it?
    >
    > Was that the reason?
    >
    > Its not a problem as the drive is not failing any discs...

    I had similar problems, and found the Autoplay Repair Wizard from
    Microsoft fixes the problem when it occurs. In my situation I was
    temporarily using software that enabled viewing of non Region 4 DVD's
    and somehow it affected a setting in the registry which the Repair
    Wizard rectifies, then Autoplay works, and the Disk is correctly
    identified as CD-R/CD-RW, DVD etc. Very simple tool, only 77KB and can
    be used from a CD, not needing to be on the PC.

    Search "microsoft autoplay repair wizard" in Google.

    Hope this helps!

    Cracker.
    cracker, Feb 4, 2006
  6. Andrew

    ~misfit~ Guest

    cracker wrote:
    > Andrew wrote:
    >
    >> I remember recently reading about this but i cant find the thread
    >>
    >> My drive is doing the same - windows thinks its a cd rom drive
    >>
    >> However i have not updated nero recently nor have i put on any
    >> windows updates.. I think i remember reading that it was a windows
    >> update that broke it?
    >>
    >> Was that the reason?
    >>
    >> Its not a problem as the drive is not failing any discs...

    > I had similar problems, and found the Autoplay Repair Wizard from
    > Microsoft fixes the problem when it occurs. In my situation I was
    > temporarily using software that enabled viewing of non Region 4 DVD's
    > and somehow it affected a setting in the registry which the Repair
    > Wizard rectifies, then Autoplay works, and the Disk is correctly
    > identified as CD-R/CD-RW, DVD etc. Very simple tool, only 77KB and can
    > be used from a CD, not needing to be on the PC.
    >
    > Search "microsoft autoplay repair wizard" in Google.
    >
    > Hope this helps!

    Thanks for that. However, no luck for me. Here's the log:

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    AutoFix [V5.2.3790.67]
    Time [2006-02-04 16:52:16]
    Microsoft Windows Version [5.1 (Service Pack 2) <2600>]

    Test [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.] - Instance [N/A]:
    Result [AutoStart Setting]: OK
    Result [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.]: OK

    Test [Policies] - Instance [D:\, Drive Type: 5]:
    Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Absent}
    Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: OK {Absent}
    Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: OK {Present}
    Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Absent}
    Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: OK {Absent}
    Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: OK {Absent}
    Result [Driver level policies]: OK {
    HKLM\...\Services\cdrom!Autorun (Present) <Allows>
    HKLM\...\Services\cdrom\Parameters!Autorun (Absent) <Allows>
    HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\...!AlwaysEnable (Absent) <Not set>
    HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\...!AlwaysDisable (Absent) <Not set> }

    Test [Drive Notification] - Instance [D:\, Drive Type: 5]:
    Result [Legacy Notification]: OK
    Result [AutoPlay V2 Notification]: Problems {
    Service (Fired)
    Shell (Deaf) }
    >> Repair << [Autoplay V2 Event]

    Step: Deleting ShellHWDetection LaunchPermission
    (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{B1B9CBB2-B198-47E2-8260-9FD629A2B2EC}!LaunchPermission)
    Result: The wizard ran into problems while trying to delete this
    registry value
    (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{B1B9CBB2-B198-47E2-8260-9FD629A2B2EC}!LaunchPermission).

    >> Required action: The wizard found problems but cannot fix them -> None

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    Not good huh?
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Feb 4, 2006
  7. Andrew

    Daniel Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    <snip>

    Okay, huge longshot...

    but, you don't have Starforce copy protection installed at all do you?

    (just an idea)
    Daniel, Feb 7, 2006
  8. Andrew

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Daniel wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > <snip>
    >
    > Okay, huge longshot...
    >
    > but, you don't have Starforce copy protection installed at all do you?
    >
    > (just an idea)

    Thanks for the suggestion. No, I don't have it. Someone else asked the same
    thing.

    Cheers Daniel,
    --
    ~misfit~