    is more preferrable? DVD+RW or DVD-RW?

    thanks

    will.

    will, Jul 11, 2003

  2. On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 21:25:29 +1200, will <> wrote:

    >hi,
    >
    >i've been thinking about getting a CDWR+DVD for a while, which is about
    >$150 at the moment. but the price of DVD Writer is pretty attractive too
    >at around $450. anyway, straight to the point, which DVD writing format
    >is more preferrable? DVD+RW or DVD-RW?
    >
    >thanks
    >
    >will.

    DVD + is the Only one to go for..

    Master Tech ©, Jul 11, 2003

  3. will

    TEX Guest

    will wrote:

    > hi,
    >
    > i've been thinking about getting a CDWR+DVD for a while, which is about
    > $150 at the moment. but the price of DVD Writer is pretty attractive too
    > at around $450. anyway, straight to the point, which DVD writing format
    > is more preferrable? DVD+RW or DVD-RW?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > will.

    The + format is readable in more formats (standalones,Xbox,PSX etc etc)
    than the - format. Although the + format is more expensive in terms of
    media. Really depends what you want to accomplish/do. There is only a
    few players that will read the - format (pioneer, yamaha...), so if you
    have one of those cheap "tin shed" players forget it. The best way to go
    is the Sony unit that does both formats, but they are double the price.
    From what I have read, the general trend is that the - format will be
    more widly supported in the future, and is the way the market is heading.

    It's quiet a tough choice on what format, but what I generally say to
    ppl is "What ever you buy it will be outdated in 3 months anyway, and
    about 1/2 the price...so who really cares". I know ppl who have bought -
    and + formats, no-one has complained on what they can and cannot do.
    Just depends what you want to do.

    TEX

    TEX, Jul 11, 2003
  4. will

    Jay Guest

    will wrote:

    > hi,
    >
    > i've been thinking about getting a CDWR+DVD for a while, which is about
    > $150 at the moment. but the price of DVD Writer is pretty attractive too
    > at around $450. anyway, straight to the point, which DVD writing format
    > is more preferrable? DVD+RW or DVD-RW?

    It will go the way of DVD-RW. Why? Nothing to do with the relative merits
    of either format. Just that DVD-RW matches CD-RW.

    Just nobody, and I mean nobody, feels comfortable with a '+'. It just
    doesn't match anything we are familiar with.

    So stick with the '-' as in DVD-R and DVD-RW and your investment
    will probably last a year longer.

    (PS: watch out for blue laser stuff - it will obsolete DVD shortly).

    Jay, Jul 11, 2003
  5. will

    GraB Guest

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 22:05:23 +1000, Jay <> wrote:

    >will wrote:
    >
    >> hi,
    >>
    >> i've been thinking about getting a CDWR+DVD for a while, which is about
    >> $150 at the moment. but the price of DVD Writer is pretty attractive too
    >> at around $450. anyway, straight to the point, which DVD writing format
    >> is more preferrable? DVD+RW or DVD-RW?

    >It will go the way of DVD-RW. Why? Nothing to do with the relative merits
    >of either format. Just that DVD-RW matches CD-RW.
    >
    >Just nobody, and I mean nobody, feels comfortable with a '+'. It just
    >doesn't match anything we are familiar with.
    >
    >So stick with the '-' as in DVD-R and DVD-RW and your investment
    >will probably last a year longer.
    >
    >(PS: watch out for blue laser stuff - it will obsolete DVD shortly).

    We have to ask Master Tech about that, don't we? But it will be ages
    before the price is affordable.

    GraB, Jul 11, 2003
  6. Both. HP, Microsoft, and Dell (from memory) are backing DVD+R/RW, so it is
    likely to become the dominant format. Currently DVD-R media is cheaper than
    DVD+R, so if you buy a drive that can write both, you will save in the long
    run, assuming you actually plan to use it enough to justify the extra cost.

    Sony DRU-500AX or DRU-510A (Newer, slightly faster on RW only). There is a
    Pioneer model as well, but I haven't seen it online in NZ yet.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Jul 11, 2003
  7. will

    Burt Guest

    "The Other Guy" <> wrote in message news:3f0f1684$1@slave...
    > Both. HP, Microsoft, and Dell (from memory) are backing DVD+R/RW, so it is
    > likely to become the dominant format. Currently DVD-R media is cheaper

    than
    > DVD+R, so if you buy a drive that can write both, you will save in the

    long
    > run, assuming you actually plan to use it enough to justify the extra

    cost.

    > Sony DRU-500AX or DRU-510A (Newer, slightly faster on RW only). There is a
    > Pioneer model as well, but I haven't seen it online in NZ yet.
    >
    > The Other Guy
    >
    > "will" <> wrote in message
    > > hi,
    > >
    > > i've been thinking about getting a CDWR+DVD for a while, which is about
    > > $150 at the moment. but the price of DVD Writer is pretty attractive too
    > > at around $450. anyway, straight to the point, which DVD writing format
    > > is more preferrable? DVD+RW or DVD-RW?
    > >
    > > thanks
    > >
    > > will.

    I have a TDK440N which dual writes R+/RW+ and R-/RW- at 4x speed. It is a
    rebadged NEC1300a for which you can get region free firmware, and also
    firmware that will allow you to burn cheaper media.

    http://forum.rpc1.org/viewforum.php?f=2

    One thing to watch out for, just as much R- or R+ formats, is the media DVD
    writers will burn. I found out they are lot more picky than CDR when it
    comes to cheaper media, and the coasters are more expensive :-(.

    Burt

    Burt, Jul 11, 2003
  8. will

    Invisible Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 07:50:55 +1200, "The Other Guy" <> wrote:

    >Both. HP, Microsoft, and Dell (from memory) are backing DVD+R/RW, so it is
    >likely to become the dominant format. Currently DVD-R media is cheaper than
    >DVD+R, so if you buy a drive that can write both, you will save in the long
    >run, assuming you actually plan to use it enough to justify the extra cost.
    >
    >Sony DRU-500AX or DRU-510A (Newer, slightly faster on RW only). There is a
    >Pioneer model as well, but I haven't seen it online in NZ yet.

    AO6? Morningstar (dealer login) have it listed, but out of stock.

    Invisible, Jul 12, 2003
  9. will

    Jay Guest

    GraB wrote:

    > On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 22:05:23 +1000, Jay <> wrote:
    >
    >>will wrote:
    >>
    >>> hi,
    >>>
    >>> i've been thinking about getting a CDWR+DVD for a while, which is about
    >>> $150 at the moment. but the price of DVD Writer is pretty attractive too
    >>> at around $450. anyway, straight to the point, which DVD writing format
    >>> is more preferrable? DVD+RW or DVD-RW?

    >>It will go the way of DVD-RW. Why? Nothing to do with the relative merits
    >>of either format. Just that DVD-RW matches CD-RW.
    >>
    >>Just nobody, and I mean nobody, feels comfortable with a '+'. It just
    >>doesn't match anything we are familiar with.
    >>
    >>So stick with the '-' as in DVD-R and DVD-RW and your investment
    >>will probably last a year longer.
    >>
    >>(PS: watch out for blue laser stuff - it will obsolete DVD shortly).

    > Check out http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/113

    But Beta was superior to VHS.

    Jay, Jul 12, 2003
  10. will

    John Guest

    Master Tech © <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 21:25:29 +1200, will <> wrote:
    >
    >>hi,
    >>
    >>i've been thinking about getting a CDWR+DVD for a while, which is about
    >>$150 at the moment. but the price of DVD Writer is pretty attractive too
    >>at around $450. anyway, straight to the point, which DVD writing format
    >>is more preferrable? DVD+RW or DVD-RW?
    >>
    >>thanks
    >>
    >>will.

    >DVD + is the Only one to go for..

    Buy a duel one like the Pioneer AO6 or Pioneer DVR 106 + and --
    formats. I suspect the NZ pricing will over the top though..

    John, Jul 12, 2003
  11. > But to costly and impossible to service..

    Considering that Beta was then adopted by tv broadcasters around the world,
    and is still in use, the 'being impossible to service' statement would
    appear to be... wrong.

    Master Tech ©, Jul 12, 2003
  12. > Beta is no longer used by any TV station that I know of.
    > They all went digital ages ago.

    Tv3, TVNZ, Sky, Prime - to name a few in NZ

    They still use Beta SP/SX/Digi in some way or another. The thread and tape
    mechanism hasn't changed that much, merely the inputs, tape materials and
    additional output methods.

    Master Tech ©, Jul 12, 2003
  13. On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 14:50:51 +1000, Jay <> wrote:

    >Master Tech © wrote:
    >
    >>> But to costly and impossible to service..

    >> Considering that Beta was then adopted by tv broadcasters around the
    >> world, and is still in use, the 'being impossible to service' statement
    >> would appear to be... wrong.

    I was referring to a local type TV repair shop, you needed a lot of special
    equipment, even the head unite need to use a Dial gauge to set up a
    replacement.

    >Beta is no longer used by any TV station that I know of.
    >They all went digital ages ago.

    That to me sounds utter Crap, what sort of memory is used that can store a
    decent high res picture.

    Master Tech ©, Jul 12, 2003
  14. >> Beta is no longer used by any TV station that I know of.
    >> They all went digital ages ago.

    > That to me sounds utter Crap, what sort of memory is used that can
    > store a decent high res picture.

    Well now you are talking utter crap.

    Obviously you don't work in the industry. Server based video is used daily
    by TVNZ on their news made by Quantel, with Omnibus automation.

    www.quantel.com/domisphere/resource.nsf/Files/
    tvnz_casestudy/$FILE/tvnz_casestudy.pdf

    will educate you.

    Stop talking out a hole in your arse.

    Master Tech ©, Jul 12, 2003
  15. will

    Gary Morton Guest

    I've got a DRU-500a,no coasters so far,no media problems either.
    Easy to change firmware backwards and forwards too.
    Only thing is it's not that flash as a READER,suggest you buy a cheap drive
    for this,I use my old Pioneer 105,still reads faster than the Sony!
    (buy my media on Trademe,Ritek G03 -R are about $4.25)
    try here for info on the continuing "war" on formats
    http://www.dvdrhelp.com/
    Mainly use mine to backup my DVD collection so kids can't wreck them.
    PS
    think Microsoft ALREADY supported -R,so supporting +R is actually no big
    deal!
    Gary

    Gary Morton, Jul 13, 2003