    won't open. If I look at the DVD drive it's empty.
    Anyone have any idea why?

    Thank-you

    DVD, Nov 4, 2007

  2. DVD

    Guest

    On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 02:09:58 GMT, "DVD" <> wrote:

    >I just bought a new DVD but when I try to play it on my computer it just
    >won't open. If I look at the DVD drive it's empty.
    >Anyone have any idea why?
    >
    >Thank-you

    Dude

    DVDs are supposed to be played on your TELEVISION......
    NOT YOUR COMPUTER.

    , Nov 4, 2007

  3. I've had that happen occasionally in the past. In some cases the DVD will
    eventually be recognized and read OK if you try it multiple times, maybe
    requiring 50-100 tries. Also be sure to try restarting your computer, as
    well as cleaning the DVD with mild liquid dishwashing detergent. Hold it
    under the faucet to get it wet, then squirt on some soap and rub it around
    with your fingers, then wash it off in the running water. Do not wipe it
    dry, which will scratch the DVD. You can hold the DVD firmly and throw off
    most of the water with centrifical force, then press it dry between paper
    towels on a flat surface.

    DVDs usually open fine on a computer with a working DVD drive with
    appropriate drivers and software installed. It's pretty rare, but some DVDs
    are incompatible with certain DVD drives. The only way to find out is try a
    different DVD drive.

    That's partly why it's a good idea to have two working DVD drives of
    different brands/manufacturers installed. If one won't work, try the other
    one.

    It could also be a bad DVD, but it's probably OK if it plays on the
    standalone DVD player on your TV set.

    papaknowsbest4u, Nov 4, 2007
  4. DVD

    Dr. DVD Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 02:09:58 GMT, "DVD" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I just bought a new DVD but when I try to play it on my computer it just
    >>won't open. If I look at the DVD drive it's empty.
    >>Anyone have any idea why?
    >>
    >>Thank-you
    >>

    > Dude
    >
    > DVDs are supposed to be played on your TELEVISION......
    > NOT YOUR COMPUTER.

    That's plain dumb kid. People play DVD's on their portable players which are
    not much different from a laptop DVD player.

    Dr. DVD, Nov 5, 2007