DVD won't play in PC DVD drive but will in standalone DVD player. Is this new copy protection?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by JoeyCramer@phalon.com, May 4, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I have a samsung DVD player that has played everything I've thrown at
    it.

    I use Windows XP that is fully patched SP2 and a ghost image of XP
    SP1.

    I use the Klite codec pack with media player classic. I have also
    installed Power DVD.

    But still the drive doesn't see anything when I put the disc in. It
    says:
    No Disc in Drive M:

    I put that same disc in my junky apex DVD players and it plays fine.
    The disc is a new copy of a Disney movie "Flight Of The Navigator"
    (which looks like a rip from a VHS tape.)

    Anyone know if Disney is loading some new digital restrictions
    software on their DVD's?
    , May 4, 2005

  2. Jay Stewart Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I have a samsung DVD player that has played everything I've thrown at
    > it.
    >
    > I use Windows XP that is fully patched SP2 and a ghost image of XP
    > SP1.
    >
    > I use the Klite codec pack with media player classic. I have also
    > installed Power DVD.
    >
    > But still the drive doesn't see anything when I put the disc in. It
    > says:
    > No Disc in Drive M:
    >
    > I put that same disc in my junky apex DVD players and it plays fine.
    > The disc is a new copy of a Disney movie "Flight Of The Navigator"
    > (which looks like a rip from a VHS tape.)

    It must be a bootleg because the official release is achingly crisp. The
    story is not so good...
    Jay Stewart, May 5, 2005

  3. Tom Guest

    wrote in news:angi71lhgrm9f02tinb20fn3tnse5v5bce@
    4ax.com:

    > I have a samsung DVD player that has played everything I've thrown at
    > it.
    >
    > I use Windows XP that is fully patched SP2 and a ghost image of XP
    > SP1.
    >
    > I use the Klite codec pack with media player classic. I have also
    > installed Power DVD.
    >
    > But still the drive doesn't see anything when I put the disc in. It
    > says:
    > No Disc in Drive M:
    >
    > I put that same disc in my junky apex DVD players and it plays fine.
    > The disc is a new copy of a Disney movie "Flight Of The Navigator"
    > (which looks like a rip from a VHS tape.)
    >
    > Anyone know if Disney is loading some new digital restrictions
    > software on their DVD's?

    The only time I've seen this behavior is when I've burned a DVD, but ejected
    the newly burnt DVD before letting Nero auto eject it.
    Tom, May 5, 2005