    In His Name,
    Martha
    “Faith is exceedingly charitable, and believeth no evil of God.”

    zmartha, Aug 20, 2004

  2. zmartha

    Pug Fugley Guest

    I'd replace the DVD drive. They are less than $30 now so it shouldn't be a
    big deal.

    "zmartha" <> wrote in message
    > I need some ideas. My DVD player hasn't shown up on MY Computer for 3-4
    > months. So I decided to wiggle the wires, and now it shows up, but it

    will
    > only play CDs, and will not do anything when I put any DVD in. (It used

    > play just fine.)
    > Neither Real nor Windows Media 9 will play it. WMP says I don't have
    > some file in order to play it, but when I click update or download, it

    says

    Pug Fugley, Aug 20, 2004

  3. zmartha

    zmartha Guest

    I would rather try to fix it. I just had to replace the video card. If I
    have to buy too many things, then I may as well spend $800 and get a new PC.
    :)

    zmartha, Aug 20, 2004
  4. On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 10:36:45 -0500, "zmartha" <>
    wrote:

    >I need some ideas. My DVD player hasn't shown up on MY Computer for 3-4
    >months. So I decided to wiggle the wires, and now it shows up, but it will
    >only play CDs, and will not do anything when I put any DVD in. (It used to
    >play just fine.)
    > Neither Real nor Windows Media 9 will play it. WMP says I don't have
    >some file in order to play it, but when I click update or download, it says
    >I have everything I need. Real just doesn't do anything.
    > Is this a DVD drive problem or a video card problem or neither? Or a
    >wire problem?

    You cannot playback the content of a DVD video, right? But, if you put
    in a DVD, does it show up in Explorer? Can you see that there are
    files on the disc, like a video_TS or audio_TS folder? If so, and WMP
    mentions a DVD decoder, you could need one of those. WMP does not play
    DVD-video on its own, you need a decoder. They are provided by DVD
    player software like PowerDVD or the like. If you do not have a
    dedicated DVD player program, install one and if you do have one,
    reinstall that one.

    However, the whole wire jiggling issue makes it sound more like a
    hardware issue so you may need a new drive like somebody already
    mentioned. But, it won't hurt to try the software option first.

    Good luck,
    Mischa

    Mischa van Dinter, Aug 20, 2004
  5. zmartha

    Cari Guest

    Reinstall your DVD decoding software, usually PowerDVD or WinDVD .
    www.coribright.com

    Cari, Aug 20, 2004
  6. zmartha

    zmartha Guest

    Thanks for the suggestions. I hope it isn't the HardDrive. I just bought
    and installed a video card and am testing it so now I will try the Powerdvd
    software. Can't hurt. I don't think I ever had a dedicated DVD software,
    but the DVD player used to play, so I will try it. The drivers were
    supplied by Winxp I believe.

    zmartha, Aug 20, 2004
  7. >Thanks for the suggestions. I hope it isn't the HardDrive. I just bought
    >and installed a video card and am testing it so now I will try the Powerdvd
    >software.

    It sounds more like the problem is isolated just to the DVD-ROM drive, so
    nothing else should be suspect.

    BTW, if the problem is with a marginal optical pickup, there isn't much that
    you can do to repair that problem except to replace the entire drive with a new
    one. Replacement pickups will cost more than what the drive would be worth.

    Replacement DVD-ROM drives can be had rather cheaply, so the comparison between
    a $30 part and a $800 computer system is rather unfair.

    To safeguard your new DVD-ROM drive:

    1. Try to keep the computer clean of all dust. Occasional dustings inside the
    computer or rigging the PC's internal ventilation a certain way are great ways
    to curb excess dust accumulation. Dust kills optical drives.

    2. If you smoke while using a computer, refrain! Smoke away from the machine
    if you have to. Smoke kills optical drives. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Aug 21, 2004
  8. zmartha

    zmartha Guest

    Mischa:
    When I look at the files on the disc, I do see TS folders. I am looking for
    a free DVD dedicated software on the freeware newsgroup. I guess WMD codec
    installing is the only free answer, but I don't know how to install them.

    zmartha, Aug 21, 2004
  9. zmartha

    Biz Guest

    "zmartha" <> wrote in message
    > Mischa:
    > When I look at the files on the disc, I do see TS folders. I am looking

    for
    > a free DVD dedicated software on the freeware newsgroup. I guess WMD

    codec
    > installing is the only free answer, but I don't know how to install them.

    If you want to play dvd movies on your pc, buy some damn player software,
    like WinDVD or PowerDVD..

    Biz, Aug 22, 2004
  10. On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 15:15:29 -0500, "zmartha" <>
    wrote:

    >Mischa:
    >When I look at the files on the disc, I do see TS folders. I am looking for
    >a free DVD dedicated software on the freeware newsgroup. I guess WMD codec
    >installing is the only free answer, but I don't know how to install them.

    AFAIK, WMD codecs will not allow you to play back DVDs, you need a DVD
    player. I have never used a free one, I've been using PowerDVD myself
    as it came bundled with my VGA card, but I have tried google and found
    this one: http://www.cliprex.com/. The DVD player on that site claims
    to include the free decoders you need, although I have not tried it
    myself.

    But, how is it possible you were able to play back DVDs before and you
    can not do that now? The fact that you need a decoder is nothing new,
    you should have had one if you played DVDs.

    Mischa

    Mischa van Dinter, Aug 22, 2004
  11. zmartha

    zmartha Guest

    I have no idea why I used to be able to play DVDs and now I can't. I didn't
    uninstall something connected to it. I think I upgraded to WMD 9 some time
    this last year and it was some time in this last year that the DVD began to
    not show on My Computer until I jiggled the wires. Now it shows up and
    plays CDs, but I don't have the original Gateway CD that my PC came with
    because I gave all that away. :( I am trying to get a hold of the kid I
    gave my old PC to (without the DVD player) to see if he can email me the
    software that came with this Nec DVD player.
    I saw cliprex for free, but don't know if I can use it as I have only
    active-x 8 and it mentions active-x 9. Whew!

    zmartha, Aug 22, 2004
  12. On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 08:37:13 -0500, "zmartha" <>
    wrote:

    >I have no idea why I used to be able to play DVDs and now I can't. I didn't
    >uninstall something connected to it. I think I upgraded to WMD 9 some time
    >this last year and it was some time in this last year that the DVD began to
    >not show on My Computer until I jiggled the wires. Now it shows up and
    >plays CDs, but I don't have the original Gateway CD that my PC came with
    >because I gave all that away. :( I am trying to get a hold of the kid I
    >gave my old PC to (without the DVD player) to see if he can email me the
    >software that came with this Nec DVD player.
    > I saw cliprex for free, but don't know if I can use it as I have only
    >active-x 8 and it mentions active-x 9. Whew!

    I think that should be direct-x 9, not active-x, and that is free too,
    just get it from microsoft.com. It's a good idea to always use the
    most recent version of direct-x if you plan on playing games etc.
    anyway. If you're set on getting a free player and not buy one, i
    would get direct-x 9 and try cliprex.

    Mischa

    Mischa van Dinter, Aug 22, 2004
  13. zmartha

    zmartha Guest

    > On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 08:37:13 -0500, "zmartha" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I have no idea why I used to be able to play DVDs and now I can't. I

    didn't
    > >uninstall something connected to it. I think I upgraded to WMD 9 some

    time
    > >this last year and it was some time in this last year that the DVD began

    > >not show on My Computer until I jiggled the wires. Now it shows up and
    > >plays CDs, but I don't have the original Gateway CD that my PC came with
    > >because I gave all that away. :( I am trying to get a hold of the kid I
    > >gave my old PC to (without the DVD player) to see if he can email me the
    > >software that came with this Nec DVD player.
    > > I saw cliprex for free, but don't know if I can use it as I have only
    > >active-x 8 and it mentions active-x 9. Whew!

    > I think that should be direct-x 9, not active-x, and that is free too,
    > just get it from microsoft.com. It's a good idea to always use the
    > most recent version of direct-x if you plan on playing games etc.
    > anyway. If you're set on getting a free player and not buy one, i
    > would get direct-x 9 and try cliprex.
    >
    > Mischa

    You are correct, Mischa, direct-x not active-x. Sheeesh! What a dummy I
    am! :) Thanks, I may download direct-x 9, but I don't use games. Hope it
    doesn't mess up like some of the other MS updating type files do. Gulp.

    zmartha, Aug 22, 2004
  14. On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 17:01:16 -0500, "zmartha" <>
    wrote:

    >You are correct, Mischa, direct-x not active-x. Sheeesh! What a dummy I
    >am! :) Thanks, I may download direct-x 9, but I don't use games. Hope it
    >doesn't mess up like some of the other MS updating type files do. Gulp.

    Well, I've been using directx 9 and had no problems, so i would try
    it. Good luck getting it up and running!

    Mischa

    Mischa van Dinter, Aug 23, 2004