    Whats the best software (And free-est :) ) which will help me recover
    data from this DVD? Or am I screwed ?

    , Aug 2, 2005

  2. Bratboy Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Got a DVD with a fair few read errors on reported by Nero CD speed.
    > Unfortunately, I don;t have the original I ripped it from any more.
    >
    > Whats the best software (And free-est :) ) which will help me recover
    > data from this DVD? Or am I screwed ?

    I suppose you could try to use DVDShrink or maybe decrypter, make a copy to
    your HD and see if it plays okay. If it does then just reburn from the HD
    copy

    Bratboy, Aug 2, 2005

  3. JayCee Guest

    Bratboy wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Got a DVD with a fair few read errors on reported by Nero CD speed.
    >>Unfortunately, I don;t have the original I ripped it from any more.
    >>
    >>Whats the best software (And free-est :) ) which will help me recover
    >>data from this DVD? Or am I screwed ?
    >>

    > I suppose you could try to use DVDShrink or maybe decrypter, make a copy to
    > your HD and see if it plays okay. If it does then just reburn from the HD
    > copy

    Why don't you have the original DVD? Could it be that you never owned
    the original? Maybe it was a rental? Don't make illegal copies.

    JayCee, Aug 2, 2005
  4. Biz Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Got a DVD with a fair few read errors on reported by Nero CD speed.
    > Unfortunately, I don;t have the original I ripped it from any more.
    >
    > Whats the best software (And free-est :) ) which will help me recover
    > data from this DVD? Or am I screwed ?

    If you dont have the original, you are supposed to get rid of all backups as
    well. If you dont own it, you dont have any business copying it...

    Biz, Aug 2, 2005
  5. Neil Maxwell Guest

    On 2 Aug 2005 02:39:43 -0700, ""
    <> wrote:

    >Got a DVD with a fair few read errors on reported by Nero CD speed.
    >Unfortunately, I don;t have the original I ripped it from any more.
    >
    >Whats the best software (And free-est :) ) which will help me recover
    >data from this DVD? Or am I screwed ?

    Often a different reader or burner will read failing or marginal
    disks. You don't say if these were bad from the beginning (not very
    recoverable) or were good and are starting to fail (recoverable if you
    get to them soon enough).

    I've had good luck recovering once good but now failing CDRs with the
    LiteOn LTD163 DVD reader. It reads disks that are now unreadable on
    several Plextor CD readers and writers, a Teac writer, and several NEC
    DVD writers. None of my DVDRs are failing yet, but I'm assuming they
    will eventually.

    To avoid bad initial burns and head off early failures, I recommend
    always verifying the data after the burn on anything you care about
    and burning at 1/2 the burner's rated speed. Good quality media helps
    too, but you need to test it on your system.

    Neil Maxwell, Aug 2, 2005
  6. High Guest

    > If you dont have the original, you are supposed to get rid of all backups as
    > well. If you dont own it, you dont have any business copying it...

    Self-rightous, hipocritical @ssholes like you make me wanna puke. Why
    are you defending the low life, drug infested, money grubbing
    recording/movie industry anyway?

    High, Aug 3, 2005
  7. Alpha Guest

    "High" <789@123.456> wrote in message

    >> If you dont have the original, you are supposed to get rid of all backups
    >> as
    >> well. If you dont own it, you dont have any business copying it...
    >>

    > Self-rightous, hipocritical @ssholes like you make me wanna puke. Why are
    > you defending the low life, drug infested, money grubbing recording/movie
    > industry anyway?

    How many MILLIONS of people are employed by the industry directly or
    indirectly?

    Alpha, Aug 3, 2005
  8. GraB Guest

    On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 15:54:17 GMT, "Biz" <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> Got a DVD with a fair few read errors on reported by Nero CD speed.
    >> Unfortunately, I don;t have the original I ripped it from any more.
    >>
    >> Whats the best software (And free-est :) ) which will help me recover
    >> data from this DVD? Or am I screwed ?
    >>

    >If you dont have the original, you are supposed to get rid of all backups as
    >well. If you dont own it, you dont have any business copying it...

    Who appointed you policeman? He didn't tell the full details.
    Perhaps the original was irrepairably damaged (perhaps a kids DVD) and
    the copy was a backup? He didn't specifically say it was a commercial
    copy-protected DVD in the first place. Who appointed you policeman?
    What agency do you represent? Do you hunt down people making MP3s
    too?

    DVDs do go off. That is well known. In the laws of some countries,
    it is permissable to make a back-up, in my experience not a bad idea.

    GraB, Aug 3, 2005
  9. Billy Joe Guest

    > Got a DVD with a fair few read errors on reported by Nero CD
    > speed. Unfortunately, I don;t have the original I ripped it
    > from any more.
    >
    > Whats the best software (And free-est :) ) which will help
    > me recover data from this DVD? Or am I screwed ?

    Did you happen to VERIFY the unfortunate disc, when written?

    BJ

    Billy Joe, Aug 7, 2005
  10. Billy Joe Guest

    > "High" <789@123.456> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> If you dont have the original, you are supposed to get rid
    >>> of all backups as
    >>> well. If you dont own it, you dont have any business
    >>> copying it...

    >> Self-rightous, hipocritical @ssholes like you make me wanna
    >> puke. Why are you defending the low life, drug infested,
    >> money grubbing recording/movie industry anyway?

    > How many MILLIONS of people are employed by the industry
    > directly or indirectly?

    I give up! How many?

    And, may I ask, how many were some years ago?

    BJ

    Billy Joe, Aug 7, 2005
  11. Justin Guest

    wrote on [2 Aug 2005 02:39:43 -0700]:
    > Got a DVD with a fair few read errors on reported by Nero CD speed.
    > Unfortunately, I don;t have the original I ripped it from any more.

    Just buy a new disc or throw your copy away.

    Justin, Aug 7, 2005
  12. Rick Merrill Guest

    Biz wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Got a DVD with a fair few read errors on reported by Nero CD speed.
    >>Unfortunately, I don;t have the original I ripped it from any more.
    >>
    >>Whats the best software (And free-est :) ) which will help me recover
    >>data from this DVD? Or am I screwed ?
    >>

    > If you dont have the original, you are supposed to get rid of all backups as
    > well. If you dont own it, you dont have any business copying it...

    That would only be valid if the OP * never had * the original or sold it.

    Rick Merrill, Aug 7, 2005
  13. No no not me Guest

    What the **** are you doing on this group, then?

    No no not me, Aug 9, 2005
  14. Justin Guest

    No no not me wrote on [Tue, 09 Aug 2005 11:36:12 -0700]:
    > On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 15:27:09 GMT, JayCee <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Bratboy wrote:
    >>> <> wrote in message

    >>> I suppose you could try to use DVDShrink or maybe decrypter, make a copy to
    >>> your HD and see if it plays okay. If it does then just reburn from the HD
    >>> copy
    >>>

    >>Why don't you have the original DVD? Could it be that you never owned
    >>the original? Maybe it was a rental? Don't make illegal copies.

    > What the **** are you doing on this group, then?

    This group isn't about stealing.

    Justin, Aug 9, 2005
  15. Biz Guest

    Biz, Aug 10, 2005
  16. Biz Guest

    "No no not me" <> wrote in message
    > What the **** are you doing on this group, then?

    This group isnt supposed to have anything to do with copying of dvd's
    either, but of course you, wouldnt know that would you?

    Biz, Aug 10, 2005
  17. Kev Guest

    "Justin" <> wrote in message
    > wrote on [2 Aug 2005 02:39:43 -0700]:
    >> Got a DVD with a fair few read errors on reported by Nero CD speed.
    >> Unfortunately, I don;t have the original I ripped it from any more.

    > Just buy a new disc or throw your copy away.

    I have used 321 STUDIOS DVD RESCUE to restore all manor of information from
    DVD's . I think there is a few trial copies floating around .Give it a go .
    Can't hurt .
    Kev

    Kev, Aug 14, 2005
  18. xxxx Guest

    On 2 Aug 2005 02:39:43 -0700, ""
    <> wrote:

    >Got a DVD with a fair few read errors on reported by Nero CD speed.
    >Unfortunately, I don;t have the original I ripped it from any more.
    >
    >Whats the best software (And free-est :) ) which will help me recover
    >data from this DVD? Or am I screwed ?

    Damn....what a bunch of self-righteous shitheads.

    Thanks for the post and for the 2 legit responses. I've had some
    recent problems too. Will try 321 Rescue Disc.

    ~jeff

    xxxx, Aug 15, 2005
  19. Guest

    xxxx wrote:
    > On 2 Aug 2005 02:39:43 -0700, ""
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Got a DVD with a fair few read errors on reported by Nero CD speed.
    > >Unfortunately, I don;t have the original I ripped it from any more.
    > >
    > >Whats the best software (And free-est :) ) which will help me recover
    > >data from this DVD? Or am I screwed ?

    > Damn....what a bunch of self-righteous shitheads.
    >
    > Thanks for the post and for the 2 legit responses. I've had some
    > recent problems too. Will try 321 Rescue Disc.
    >
    > ~jeff

    Anyone know of where I can get a demo version of 321 Rescue disk ?

    , Aug 16, 2005
  20. selaboc Guest

    Biz wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > > Got a DVD with a fair few read errors on reported by Nero CD speed.
    > > Unfortunately, I don;t have the original I ripped it from any more.
    > >
    > > Whats the best software (And free-est :) ) which will help me recover
    > > data from this DVD? Or am I screwed ?
    > >

    > If you dont have the original, you are supposed to get rid of all backups as
    > well. If you dont own it, you dont have any business copying it...

    You are making a big assumption there. The legitimate purpose of a
    backup disk is to be able to continue to access the material should the
    origional be damaged. when the original becomes damaged you "dont have
    the original" anymore, which is the situation for which a legitmate
    backup would made in the first place. That's not to say that that is
    the situation with the OP (not enough specifics were given to be able
    to say), but that the assumptions behind your self-righteous outburst
    are unwarrented without further information on the OPs situation.

    selaboc, Aug 16, 2005