    seems to be better than the VCD Slide Shows.

    Thanks,

    Dick Campbell
    Dick Campbell, Oct 3, 2003

  2. Dick Campbell

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 20:33:24 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Dick Campbell"
    <> wrote:

    >Using Ulead's DVD Picture Show to produce VCD Slide Shows I have found that
    >the picture quality is not as good as I would like.
    >
    >Is it worth investing in a DVD burner to take advantage of the DVD output
    >from this software? Is the picture quality any better?
    >
    >I can't help noticing that the picture quality on commercial DVD movies
    >seems to be better than the VCD Slide Shows.

    Create a copy to your hard disk and check the quality of the mpeg files
    yourself.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam
    Ed Ruf, Oct 3, 2003

  3. Dick Campbell

    Eric Gisin Guest

    VCD is 350x240, SVCD is 480x480, and DVD (mpeg-2) is 720x480. You can burn all
    formats to CDR.

    Eric Gisin, Oct 4, 2003
  4. The original files are OK. The main concern is the pictures are slightly
    compressed horizontally, apart from that they are not too bad, allowing for
    the low resolution of TV.

    I was wondering whether outputting onto an DVD instead of CD/VCD might be a
    way to avoid this distortion.

    Also I would be interested in any recommendations for DVD software. The
    ULead product produces DVD PictureShows but I wondered whether a more
    general DVD software package might provide more control.

    Dick Campbell

    Dick Campbell, Oct 4, 2003
  5. Thanks,

    That explains why the VCD picture quality is disappointing.

    It hadn't occured to me to burn DVD resolution onto a CDR. Can all DVD
    players deal with this?

    Dick Campbell, Oct 4, 2003
  6. Dick Campbell

    Eric Gisin Guest

    | Thanks,
    |
    | That explains why the VCD picture quality is disappointing.
    |
    | It hadn't occured to me to burn DVD resolution onto a CDR. Can all DVD
    | players deal with this?

    Nope. SVCD support is common now. No idea about 720x480. A computer will play
    all of them.

    Eric Gisin, Oct 4, 2003
  7. Dick Campbell

    Eric Gisin Guest

    Check out photo vcd lite: http://www.nu2.nu/photovcd/

    Eric Gisin, Oct 4, 2003
  8. Dick Campbell wrote:

    > Thanks,
    >
    > That explains why the VCD picture quality is disappointing.
    >
    > It hadn't occured to me to burn DVD resolution onto a CDR. Can all DVD
    > players deal with this?
    >

    > "Eric Gisin" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>VCD is 350x240, SVCD is 480x480, and DVD (mpeg-2) is 720x480. You can burn

    > all
    >
    >>formats to CDR.
    >>
    >>"Dick Campbell" <> wrote in message
    >>| Using Ulead's DVD Picture Show to produce VCD Slide Shows I have found

    > that
    >
    >>| the picture quality is not as good as I would like.
    >>|
    >>| Is it worth investing in a DVD burner to take advantage of the DVD

    > output
    >
    >>| from this software? Is the picture quality any better?
    >>|
    >>| I can't help noticing that the picture quality on commercial DVD movies
    >>| seems to be better than the VCD Slide Shows.
    >>|
    >>| Thanks,
    >>|
    >>| Dick Campbell

    VCD also supports up to 704x480 (NTSC) and 704x576 (PAL) still images.
    VCDEASY is one program I use that creates beautiful still image VCD's
    Not all DVD players support all formats. DVD players that play straight
    jpeg are becoming popular now.

    http://www.geocities.com/medinotes/vcd/mpeg_still_images.html
    Kirks Camera Supply, Oct 4, 2003
  9. Dick Campbell <> wrote:
    >I can't help noticing that the picture quality on commercial DVD movies
    >seems to be better than the VCD Slide Shows.

    I haven't done a formal test, but as someone else noted, vcd can do 700x500
    class resolution. What resolution are you feeding into the process? Ones
    that have already been reduced and get reconverted, or high rez originals?

    And then you have dvd players that show jpegs directly - this is rarely a
    good option because it takes so long to render each image.

    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com
    Jason O'Rourke, Oct 4, 2003
  10. Eric Gisin <> wrote:
    >VCD is 350x240, SVCD is 480x480, and DVD (mpeg-2) is 720x480. You can burn all
    >formats to CDR.

    Very few dvd players can handle a CDR written as DVD format.

    With the cost of DVD burners now going under 100 for single format, the
    media cost is the big decider, as well as how much you have to pack onto
    the disc.
    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com
    Jason O'Rourke, Oct 4, 2003
  11. Dick Campbell

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 23:40:33 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Dick Campbell"
    <> wrote:

    >The original files are OK. The main concern is the pictures are slightly
    >compressed horizontally, apart from that they are not too bad, allowing for
    >the low resolution of TV.
    >
    >I was wondering whether outputting onto an DVD instead of CD/VCD might be a
    >way to avoid this distortion.

    I find the DVD output of DVDPS2 to be better than VCD/SVCD.

    >Also I would be interested in any recommendations for DVD software. The
    >ULead product produces DVD PictureShows but I wondered whether a more
    >general DVD software package might provide more control.

    So far for me, I find DVDPS2 superior to the Sonic MyDVD bundled with my
    Sony DRU-500A.
    Ed Ruf, Oct 4, 2003
  12. I have tried outputting to DVD format in CDR and my no-name DVD Player sort
    of accepts the format.

    It doesn't autoplay the CD but goes into "Smart-Navi" mode which allows
    navigation the folders of a Windows disk to play music and JPEG files. The
    DVD folders show up with a DVD icon, which looks promising, and you can
    actually "play" the folder.

    There are two problems though. Firstly the slides pause more like 0.6 of
    seconds not the 60 seconds I specified in DVD Picture Show and secondly the
    menu pages don't work.

    I can, by the way simply play the JPEGs because the DVD Player has the "JPEG
    Playable" feature. It works quite well in that you simply set up folders and
    sub-folders (for each topic) on the CD using Windows Explorer and copy the
    JPEGs into them. Nothing could be simpler and you can get about 2,500 images
    on a CD. I reduce them to 1024 x 768 because, while the original 3 MP files
    work, they are slower and inclined to time out while loading.

    The only problem is that these images are also slightly compressed
    horizontally.

    I can now at least see whether teh DVD image compressed horizontally or
    not, I am still tyring to assess that, from which you will guess that the
    compression is only slight sltough quite annoying on some images.

    I have downloaded the trail vesrion of DVD Picture 2 and I like some of the
    new features if nothing else, being able to put text over the images for
    example. I can't seem to get it to actually burn a CD even though I am sure
    that it should do so.

    Dick Campbell, Oct 4, 2003
  13. "Dick Campbell" <> wrote in message
    > Using Ulead's DVD Picture Show to produce VCD Slide Shows I have found

    that
    > the picture quality is not as good as I would like.
    >
    > Is it worth investing in a DVD burner to take advantage of the DVD output
    > from this software? Is the picture quality any better?
    >
    > I can't help noticing that the picture quality on commercial DVD movies
    > seems to be better than the VCD Slide Shows.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dick Campbell

    Picture quality is the same for either CD or DVD, at least it is with the
    first version. It's my understanding the newer release allows for
    transitions so maybe the pictures aren't full D1 anymore. In other words,
    the first version gave the first field, and it's quite noticeable on a large
    screen. The horizontal lines are rock solid, similar to a video game.
    I read in your other replies the horizontal is compressed. I suggest
    adjusting the "safe area" if you haven't already.
    Mark_
    mark_digitalĀ©, Oct 4, 2003
  14. "Dick Campbell" <> wrote in message
    > I have tried outputting to DVD format in CDR and my no-name DVD Player

    sort
    > of accepts the format.

    Not all DVD players will play VCDs. You can check out brands and models to
    see which will and won't at www.vcdhelp.com. You have to take into account
    the format on the CD that your software burns.
    Marvin Margoshes, Oct 5, 2003
  15. Marvin Margoshes <> wrote:
    >"Dick Campbell" <> wrote in message
    >> I have tried outputting to DVD format in CDR and my no-name DVD Player

    >sort
    >> of accepts the format.
    >>

    >Not all DVD players will play VCDs. You can check out brands and models to
    >see which will and won't at www.vcdhelp.com. You have to take into account
    >the format on the CD that your software burns.

    He used DVD format, not VCD. You can make a short DVD on CDR, but
    unfortunately very few players seem to be able to handle it.

    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com
    Jason O'Rourke, Oct 6, 2003