DVD vs Software

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by TWiSTeD ViBE, Nov 19, 2004.

  1. TWiSTeD ViBE

    TWiSTeD ViBE Guest

    Hi,

    Recently my DVD player broke (Phillips DVD Q40) - I have always been pretty
    happy with picture quality etc.

    I have a high spec PC with a decent Graphics card - for the time being I'm
    using my PC to output my DVD to my TV.

    The computer does the DVD decoding in software using WinDVD - I must say I'm
    very impressed with the software itself (especially compared to the various
    other DVD playing software I tried) and the various options it has for both
    sound and video.

    I'd like to know if other people are doing similar and how this measures up
    with regard to picture and sound quality compared to set top boxes (I
    realise top-of-the-line players will obviously be the better, I'm more
    enquiring as to where this kind of setup fits in the scale).

    PC details for those interested:-
    3Ghz P4
    ATi Radeon 9800Pro
    SoundBlaster Audigy ZS