    Please don't confuse me with a few hundred other choices. I'm having
    trouble enuf with the above two. :eek:)

    , Nov 30, 2010

  2. Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 14:24:39 -0600, tomie wrote:

    > I have a program which converts flv downloads to .vob files for playing
    > on a dvd player through my tv set.
    >
    > 1. Am I understanding the above correctly? Will such files as *.vob
    > play on my dvd player?
    >
    > 2. Must I burn these converted files as ISO in order to play?
    >
    > Please don't confuse me with a few hundred other choices. I'm having
    > trouble enuf with the above two. :eek:)

    VOB is the container for the video + audio. They can be placed directly
    on the disc in a folder called VIDEO_TS and then played. So you would
    make a folder on your hard drive called video_ts, place the VOB files
    inside and burn as data to the DVD. Should work on most DVD players. Some
    might be picky and need an IFO file but not usually.

    Meat Plow, Nov 30, 2010

  3. thanatoid Guest

    Meat Plow <> wrote in

    <snip>

    > VOB is the container for the video + audio. They can be
    > placed directly on the disc in a folder called VIDEO_TS and
    > then played. So you would make a folder on your hard drive
    > called video_ts, place the VOB files inside and burn as
    > data to the DVD. Should work on most DVD players. Some
    > might be picky and need an IFO file but not usually.

    In case you're wondering about what MeatPlow said:

    "Other DVD files include IFO and BUP files. IFO (Info) files
    contain all the information a DVD player needs to know about a
    DVD so that the user can navigate and play all DVD content
    properly (e.g., where a chapter starts, where a certain audio or
    subtitle stream is located, information about menu functions and
    navigation, etc.). BUP (Backup) files are an exact copy and
    backup of IFO files in case of corruption. VOB files without IFO
    or BUP files do not allow DVD menu navigation. Images, video and
    audio used in DVD menus are stored in VOB files."

    (Wikipedia)

    AFAIK, you can play the actual CONTENT just with VOB files. They
    ARE numbered, so should play one after another. The menus,
    "extras", etc. I find a CURSE, personally.

    --
    "Anytime I hear the word "culture", I reach for my iPad."
    - 21st Century Humanoid

    thanatoid, Nov 30, 2010
  4. Guest

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 14:24:39 -0600, wrote:

    >I have a program which converts flv downloads to .vob files for
    >playing on a dvd player through my tv set.
    >
    >1. Am I understanding the above correctly? Will such files as *.vob
    >play on my dvd player?
    >
    >2. Must I burn these converted files as ISO in order to play?
    >
    >Please don't confuse me with a few hundred other choices. I'm having
    >trouble enuf with the above two. :eek:)

    It didn't work.

    How in the #@$%% do I get an flv file to play in my dvd player?

    I still have the .vob file I created from the flv file, but where do I
    go from here?

    , Nov 30, 2010
  5. thanatoid <> via

    > Meat Plow <> wrote in
    >
    > <snip>

    <snip>

    In case you're wondering WTF thanatoid just said...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VOB

    Also, if you want to study something important :

    <http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_1H9fbwR7liM/TOU25yF9LeI/AAAAAAAABgE/aN5-
    UCuS7l0/s1600/sarah_palin_5.jpg>

    <http://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/attachments/timeout-room/35308d1221270831-
    nws-palin-photoshop-sarah_palin-20mccain-20poster-1-.jpg>

    HTH.

    --

    Hello, I'm Bucky Breeder, (*(^; and you're not.

    http://www.socialmediasobrietytest.com/

    http://thedogpaddler.com/RandomUploads/Ball/ball.htm

    Repent! The end is near... Or... good luck
    with that whole pesky "apocolypse" thangy.

    Bucky Breeder, Nov 30, 2010
  6. POGO PUNY Guest

    In article <Xns9E40A10F6F68BBuckyGram@207.246.207.167>,
    Bucky Breeder <Breeder_Bucky.Breeder@That's.my.name_Don't.wear.it.out>

    http://interceder.net/list/dirty-diapers

    POGO PUNY, Nov 30, 2010
  7. Aardvark Guest

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 17:34:34 -0500, POGO PUNY wrote:

    > In article <Xns9E40A10F6F68BBuckyGram@207.246.207.167>,
    > Bucky Breeder <Breeder_Bucky.Breeder@That's.my.name_Don't.wear.it.out>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Also, if you want to study something important :

    > <SNIP>

    <STALK>

    Aardvark, Dec 1, 2010
  8. thanatoid Guest

    wrote in

    <snip>

    > It didn't work.
    >
    > How in the #@$%% do I get an flv file to play in my dvd
    > player?

    You can NOT.

    To play flv (OR avi, mpg, matroska, wmv) directly from my
    computer I bought a cheap Y cable splitter (I have an LCD TV
    with a standard RGB computer cable input) but it causes image
    ghosting on BOTH devices, so I returned it. A really good one
    which would not ghost would /probably/ cost about $30-80, and I
    can't find one where I live. So I just switch the cables,
    carefully and gently. It's a PITA but it could be worse.

    > I still have the .vob file I created from the flv file, but
    > where do I go from here?

    You could try recording the vob file onto a DVD - that WILL play
    in your DVD player - but the simplest thing is to play it
    directly from the computer, using the VLC (www.videolan.org)
    player and plugging your video output cable into the TV instead
    of the computer monitor. (Or get a cable switchbox, as above.)

    Another alternative is to convert the VOB files to some common
    computer video format using the fantastic XMedia-recode
    converter.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XMedia_Recode

    But unless you have one of those cheap do-everything-badly DVD
    players which /claim/ to play a few VERY SPECIFIC video formats
    (and since those formats change ALL THE TIME, I do not trust
    this in general), you can NOT play anything but VOB files in a
    regular DVD player.

    I have not used XMediaRecode yet myself, but I have seen avi
    conversions made from DVD rips with this program and they are
    AMAZINGLY good - at default settings! You STILL will have to
    play them from a computer.

    If you have the money, you could consider getting a very basic
    1.5 or so GHz machine with a large enough hard drive and a basic
    amnount of memory (1GB RAM should be fine, and WinXP is all you
    need) and use it ONLY for video playback on your TV set.

    thanatoid, Dec 1, 2010
  9. RickMerrill Guest

    wrote:
    > I have a program which converts flv downloads to .vob files for
    > playing on a dvd player through my tv set.

    Here is what I do: (1) convert the .flv files to .vob files.
    (2) use Womble MVW DVD 5.0 to convert the .VOB files
    to a DVD image. (3) use Nero to burn that image to a Tyo Unden (TY)
    DVD-R. (4) play the DVD.

    > 1. Am I understanding the above correctly? Will such files as *.vob
    > play on my dvd player?

    NOT if you just burn them as "DATA".

    > 2. Must I burn these converted files as ISO in order to play?

    An ISO is an exact Image of a DVD with all needed files.

    > Please don't confuse me with a few hundred other choices. I'm having
    > trouble enuf with the above two. :eek:)

    Join the club!

    RickMerrill, Dec 3, 2010