    to just leave the videos in mpg,the only difference is mpg files won`t play
    in all DVD players, anyone know a better way to make a DVD and keep the
    original video quality?
    pertnoy, Feb 17, 2005

  2. On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 13:07:27 -0500, "pertnoy" <>
    wrote:

    >I have a bunch of mpg videos that look pretty good when played back in
    >component DVD player, but if I convert them to DVD, vob and ifo files
    >etc........ and make a DVD with Nero, the video quality drops (but the audio
    >is still good) with a fair amount of square spots etc....I think it`s better
    >to just leave the videos in mpg,the only difference is mpg files won`t play
    >in all DVD players, anyone know a better way to make a DVD and keep the
    >original video quality?

    Use DVDlab to reauthor. The problem is that Nero is reencoding the
    mpgs just because there's something it doesn't like, DVDlab will
    attemtp to use the mpgs as is. And that will also make compiling the
    project much faster.

    ... Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Feb 17, 2005

  3. pertnoy

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Steve(JazzHunter) () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > Use DVDlab to reauthor. The problem is that Nero is reencoding the
    > mpgs just because there's something it doesn't like, DVDlab will
    > attemtp to use the mpgs as is.

    The latest Nero programs (NeroVision Express 3) will scan the input and
    only re-code parts that are bad, not the whole thing. So, when I use
    HDTVToMPEG2 to cut the commercials from an HDTV recording, it left "breaks"
    that stayed there when I down-converted it to DVD resolution with the
    Fusion converter. Those bits got re-encoded to "smooth them out", but
    otherwise it didn't touch the video. It took about 15 minutes to "encode"
    and burn 45 minutes of show on a 4x burner.

    --
    Jeff Rife |
    Jeff Rife, Feb 22, 2005
  4. pertnoy

    Ken Ruppel Guest

    pertnoy wrote:
    > I have a bunch of mpg videos that look pretty good when played back in
    > component DVD player, but if I convert them to DVD, vob and ifo files
    > etc........ and make a DVD with Nero, the video quality drops (but the audio
    > is still good) with a fair amount of square spots etc....I think it`s better
    > to just leave the videos in mpg,the only difference is mpg files won`t play
    > in all DVD players, anyone know a better way to make a DVD and keep the
    > original video quality?

    How do you convert an MPG file to a DVD-playable file? (And I hope
    you're going to tell me that the software is either free, or Roxio Easy
    7.5).

    Ken
    Ken Ruppel, May 8, 2005
  5. On Sun, 08 May 2005 03:00:37 -0400, Ken Ruppel
    <> wrote:

    >pertnoy wrote:
    >> I have a bunch of mpg videos that look pretty good when played back in
    >> component DVD player, but if I convert them to DVD, vob and ifo files
    >> etc........ and make a DVD with Nero, the video quality drops (but the audio
    >> is still good) with a fair amount of square spots etc....I think it`s better
    >> to just leave the videos in mpg,the only difference is mpg files won`t play
    >> in all DVD players, anyone know a better way to make a DVD and keep the
    >> original video quality?
    >>

    >How do you convert an MPG file to a DVD-playable file? (And I hope
    >you're going to tell me that the software is either free, or Roxio Easy
    >7.5).
    >
    >Ken

    Because Nero is taking perfectly good DVD-ready Mpegs and re-rendering
    them with its own horrible encoder. Nero is NOT an authoring program.
    DVDlab or Tmpgenc DVDauthor will handle the mpegs without screwing
    them up. A properly-produced DVD takes about 15 minutes to compile on
    a P4. Nero will take two hours or more.

    ... Steve ..
    Steve(JazzHunter), May 8, 2005
  6. pertnoy

    Ken Ruppel Guest

    pertnoy wrote:
    > I have a bunch of mpg videos that look pretty good when played back in
    > component DVD player, but if I convert them to DVD, vob and ifo files
    > etc........ and make a DVD with Nero, the video quality drops (but the audio
    > is still good) with a fair amount of square spots etc....I think it`s better
    > to just leave the videos in mpg,the only difference is mpg files won`t play
    > in all DVD players, anyone know a better way to make a DVD and keep the
    > original video quality?

    I figured out how to "Create DVD" in Roxio Easy Creator 7.5. The
    quality is as good as the original. It added around 1MB to the size of
    each mpg file. I'm impressed.

    Ken
    Ken Ruppel, May 8, 2005
  7. pertnoy

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Steve(JazzHunter) () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > Because Nero is taking perfectly good DVD-ready Mpegs and re-rendering
    > them with its own horrible encoder. Nero is NOT an authoring program.

    No, but NeroVision Express (which is part of the Nero suite) *is* an
    authoring program, and the latest version doesn't re-encode if the video
    is already in DVD format...it just copies the MPEG to a VOB file.

    > A properly-produced DVD takes about 15 minutes to compile on
    > a P4. Nero will take two hours or more.

    That's also wrong. It rarely takes me more than 30 minutes for a 1-hour
    DVD when I *have* to re-encode (because the source is in DV format) to
    MPEG-2. That's using a P4 2.4GHz and multiple-pass compression.

    --
    Jeff Rife |
    Jeff Rife, May 8, 2005
  8. On Sun, 8 May 2005 14:06:36 -0400, Jeff Rife <> wrote:

    >Steve(JazzHunter) () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >> Because Nero is taking perfectly good DVD-ready Mpegs and re-rendering
    >> them with its own horrible encoder. Nero is NOT an authoring program.

    >No, but NeroVision Express (which is part of the Nero suite) *is* an
    >authoring program, and the latest version doesn't re-encode if the video
    >is already in DVD format...it just copies the MPEG to a VOB file.
    >
    >> A properly-produced DVD takes about 15 minutes to compile on
    >> a P4. Nero will take two hours or more.

    >That's also wrong. It rarely takes me more than 30 minutes for a 1-hour
    >DVD when I *have* to re-encode (because the source is in DV format) to
    >MPEG-2. That's using a P4 2.4GHz and multiple-pass compression.

    Depends upon the quality of the encoder. CCE takes 3.2X real time on
    my P4 3.6. So three passes is about 90 minutes for a 90 minute movie.
    Sure there are faster encoders....

    Are you getting correct colorspace conversion when going from DVcam to
    Mpeg? Quite typically a 0 to 100 IRE DVcam will be changed to 10 to
    86IRE when encoded to Mpeg unless the encoder is set to 0-255, rather
    than 15 - 235, and accepts a non-RGB input.

    For DVD authoring DVDlab is the way to go, nothing's hidden. If
    there's a problem it tells you rather than try to fix it in the
    background. Any software with "Express" in the name is a quick and
    easy consumer-level program.

    .. Steve ..
    Steve(JazzHunter), May 9, 2005