    I'm not looking for the very best quality recording -- the main thing is ease of use since this will be for an elderly fellow.

    Thanks!

    Ernie

    Ernie Jones, Feb 1, 2008

  2. Ernie Jones

    altcollect Guest

    On Jan 31, 10:03 pm, "Ernie Jones" <> wrote:
    > I'd appreciate hearing from someone who has bought a unit recently that will record from either of DVD or VHS to other. I saw several at Circuit City the other day under $300, and quite a few under $200. Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, and others.
    >
    > I'm not looking for the very best quality recording -- the main thing is ease of use since this will be for an elderly fellow.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Ernie

    The Magnavox unit at Wal-Mart is probably the cheapest.
    About $65.00. Not the best, but Wal-Mart has a liberal
    return policy.

    --
    DVD CD Trader - Trading Lots
    Buy Sell Trade DVDs CDs

    altcollect, Feb 6, 2008

  3. What's a good DVD/VHS Combo Unit?

    I'd appreciate hearing from someone who has bought a unit recently that will record from either of DVD or VHS to other.

    Walmart has one RCA model with digital tuner for $148, but a search of the review sites shows 20% favorable postings - not good. I saw several at Circuit City the other day under $300, and quite a few under $200. Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, and others.

    Gomer Gooberman, Mar 7, 2008
  4. Ernie Jones

    Tarkus Guest

    Re: What's a good DVD/VHS Combo Unit?

    Gomer Gooberman wrote:
    > Walmart has one RCA model with digital tuner for $148, but a search
    > of the review sites shows 20% favorable postings - not good.

    That's actually pretty good for an RCA product.

    Tarkus, Mar 7, 2008
  5. Ernie Jones

    Judy N Guest

    "Gomer Gooberman" <> wrote in message
    I'd appreciate hearing from someone who has bought a unit recently that will
    record from either of DVD or VHS to other.

    Walmart has one RCA model with digital tuner for $148, but a search of the
    review sites shows 20% favorable postings - not good. I saw several at
    Circuit City the other day under $300, and quite a few under $200.
    Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, and others.

    I'm not looking for the very best quality recording -- the main thing is
    ease of use since this will be for an elderly fellow.

    Thanks!

    Torture the old codger.

    Judy N, Mar 7, 2008
  6. Ernie Jones

    b Guest

    Re: What's a good DVD/VHS Combo Unit?

    On Mar 7, 1:45 am, "Gomer Gooberman" <>
    wrote:
    > I'd appreciate hearing from someone who has bought a unit recently that will record from either of DVD or VHS to other.
    >
    > Walmart has one RCA model with digital tuner for $148, but a search of the review sites shows 20% favorable postings - not good. I saw several at Circuit City the other day under $300, and quite a few under $200. Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, and others.
    >
    > I'm not looking for the very best quality recording -- the main thing is ease of use since this will be for an elderly fellow.
    >
    > Thanks!

    I would seriously consider a separate dvd-hard drive unit and a good
    quality used vcr. Apart from being simpler to use in many ways, such
    a setup will be more reliable and will save you money in the longer
    term. Those combo unts drop like flies and are nearly all flimsy
    plastic mechanisms made at the lowest possible cost by the likes of
    Funai. And when (not if), it dies, don't imagine you'll be able to get
    it fixed down your local friendly neighbourhood repair shop, as for
    many (if not all) such products, service documentation and parts are
    non existent.

    -B.

    b, Mar 7, 2008
  7. Re: What's a good DVD/VHS Combo Unit?

    On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 00:45:57 GMT, "Gomer Gooberman"
    <> wrote:

    >I'd appreciate hearing from someone who has bought a unit recently that will record from either of DVD or VHS to other.
    >
    >Walmart has one RCA model with digital tuner for $148, but a search of the review sites shows 20% favorable postings - not good. I saw several at Circuit City the other day under $300, and quite a few under $200. Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, and others.
    >
    >I'm not looking for the very best quality recording -- the main thing is ease of use since this will be for an elderly fellow.
    >
    >Thanks!

    ]

    Most RCA Electronics are made by Thompson Industries, the King of Crap
    and their warranties go right along with the term.

    E. Barry Bruyea, Mar 9, 2008
  8. Ernie Jones

    OnRequest Guest

    Re: What's a good DVD/VHS Combo Unit?

    I am having good luck with a VCR-DVD combo set bought at Wal-Mart: MAGNAVOX
    MWR20V6 -- $148.93 + tax, last July 2007. I see them now available at
    online stores for a lot less money. At the time, it was the lowest price
    item I saw in any of the local electronic stores.

    I am using it to dub old VHS tapes to DVD and it has worked for me. I put
    the dubbed DVD into my computer and copy the .vob files to my hard drive for
    editing and making family videos. I did find one glitch, and that was that
    although the dubbed DVD will play in the Magnavox it was made on, it will
    not itself play in my other standalone DVD player which is a Panasonic;
    since I did not need it to play in a DVD player, I have just gone on with it
    and really did not resolve the issue. I am using DVD+R discs and have
    heard that Panasonics may have a problem with DVD+R. I am doing my dubs in
    the highest quality mode only, they call it HQ; this limits the dubbed DVD
    to about one hour of recording. Hope this is useful information.

    OnRequest, Mar 22, 2008
  9. Ernie Jones

    UncleDave Guest

    "OnRequest" <Onrequest@mychoice> wrote in message
    >I am having good luck with a VCR-DVD combo set bought at Wal-Mart: MAGNAVOX
    >MWR20V6 -- $148.93 + tax, last July 2007. I see them now available at
    >online stores for a lot less money. At the time, it was the lowest price
    >item I saw in any of the local electronic stores.
    >
    > I am using it to dub old VHS tapes to DVD and it has worked for me. I put
    > the dubbed DVD into my computer and copy the .vob files to my hard drive
    > for editing and making family videos. I did find one glitch, and that
    > was that although the dubbed DVD will play in the Magnavox it was made on,
    > it will not itself play in my other standalone DVD player which is a
    > Panasonic; since I did not need it to play in a DVD player, I have just
    > gone on with it and really did not resolve the issue. I am using DVD+R
    > discs and have heard that Panasonics may have a problem with DVD+R. I am
    > doing my dubs in the highest quality mode only, they call it HQ; this
    > limits the dubbed DVD to about one hour of recording. Hope this is useful
    > information.
    >
    > "Gomer Gooberman" <> wrote in message
    > I'd appreciate hearing from someone who has bought a unit recently that
    > will record from either of DVD or VHS to other.
    >
    > Walmart has one RCA model with digital tuner for $148, but a search of the
    > review sites shows 20% favorable postings - not good. I saw several at
    > Circuit City the other day under $300, and quite a few under $200.
    > Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, and others.
    >
    > I'm not looking for the very best quality recording -- the main thing is
    > ease of use since this will be for an elderly fellow.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Are you finalizing the disks once copied from VHS to DVD? That's the firs
    tplace to start looking

    UncleDave, Mar 22, 2008
  10. Ernie Jones

    On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 12:16:17 -0500, "OnRequest" <Onrequest@mychoice>
    wrote:

    >I am having good luck with a VCR-DVD combo set bought at Wal-Mart: MAGNAVOX
    >MWR20V6 -- $148.93 + tax, last July 2007. I see them now available at
    >online stores for a lot less money. At the time, it was the lowest price
    >item I saw in any of the local electronic stores.
    >
    > I am using it to dub old VHS tapes to DVD and it has worked for me. I put
    >the dubbed DVD into my computer and copy the .vob files to my hard drive for
    >editing and making family videos. I did find one glitch, and that was that
    >although the dubbed DVD will play in the Magnavox it was made on, it will
    >not itself play in my other standalone DVD player which is a Panasonic;
    >since I did not need it to play in a DVD player, I have just gone on with it
    >and really did not resolve the issue. I am using DVD+R discs and have
    >heard that Panasonics may have a problem with DVD+R. I am doing my dubs in
    >the highest quality mode only, they call it HQ; this limits the dubbed DVD
    >to about one hour of recording. Hope this is useful information.
    >
    >"Gomer Gooberman" <> wrote in message
    >I'd appreciate hearing from someone who has bought a unit recently that will
    >record from either of DVD or VHS to other.
    >
    >Walmart has one RCA model with digital tuner for $148, but a search of the
    >review sites shows 20% favorable postings - not good. I saw several at
    >Circuit City the other day under $300, and quite a few under $200.
    >Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, and others.
    >
    >I'm not looking for the very best quality recording -- the main thing is
    >ease of use since this will be for an elderly fellow.
    >
    >Thanks!

    So this problem carries on with DVDs too....
    Around 1997 I had a guy from work make backups of my whole computer on
    Cds. He put my hard drives in his computer and burned them. His
    computer / CD drive confirmed they were readable. When I later tried
    them, my CD drive could not read them. Since I moved to another
    state, and quit the job I had, I can no longer find this guy, and even
    if I didm he would be hundreds of miles away, and likely not have the
    same computer or cd drive. If I at least know what kind of burner he
    used I could try to find one thats the same model. Because of this,
    which seems to be a very common problem, I have never used CDs or DVDs
    for a backup. I just bought several hard drives and copy all the data
    to these harddrives. It's a little more hassle unplugging my cd
    drives so I can plug in these extra harddrives, but I know I have a
    reliable backup as long as I protect these harddrives. For quickie
    backups of individual stuff, I use flash memory sticks in between my
    full backups.

    Home burned CDs and DVDs have always had this problem. They have to
    be played on the original drive they were burned on, or they're
    useless. I thought that DVDs may have overcome this problem but I see
    now they did not. I dont even own a CD or DVD burner. Why bother,
    it's false security for backups, and I have no reason to burn music
    cds or movies. My VCR works just fine for movies and I can transfer
    music on a flash stick.

    It's funny because I was just recently thinking about buying a DVD
    burner for backups, because I thought they were more reliable. I
    won't now.

    I'm still wondering if one of these data retrival companies could
    retrieve the data on those CDs. But being 10 years old, maybe I dont
    really need the stuff anymore. At the time I was running Windows 3.1
    and the only reason for the backup was because I installed Win95.
    Thank God I had all my photos on another computer

    , Mar 24, 2008
  11. Ernie Jones

    Ken Maltby Guest

    <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > state, and quit the job I had, I can no longer find this guy, and even
    > if I didm he would be hundreds of miles away, and likely not have the
    > same computer or cd drive. If I at least know what kind of burner he
    > used I could try to find one thats the same model. Because of this,
    > which seems to be a very common problem, I have never used CDs or DVDs
    > for a backup. I just bought several hard drives and copy all the data
    > to these harddrives. It's a little more hassle unplugging my cd
    > drives so I can plug in these extra harddrives, but I know I have a
    > reliable backup as long as I protect these harddrives. For quickie
    > backups of individual stuff, I use flash memory sticks in between my
    > full backups.
    >
    > Home burned CDs and DVDs have always had this problem. They have to
    > be played on the original drive they were burned on, or they're

    Are you nuts? You might have had some odd combination of
    devices in the very beginning of home CD burning or the early
    DVD format war efforts, that caused you some such issues.
    For the rest of us data CDs couldn't be much more reliable,
    PC to PC.

    > I thought that DVDs may have overcome this problem but I see
    > now they did not. I dont even own a CD or DVD burner. Why bother,
    > it's false security for backups, and I have no reason to burn music
    > cds or movies. My VCR works just fine for movies and I can transfer
    > music on a flash stick.
    >
    > It's funny because I was just recently thinking about buying a DVD
    > burner for backups, because I thought they were more reliable. I
    > won't now.
    >
    > I'm still wondering if one of these data retrival companies could
    > retrieve the data on those CDs. But being 10 years old, maybe I dont
    > really need the stuff anymore. At the time I was running Windows 3.1
    > and the only reason for the backup was because I installed Win95.
    > Thank God I had all my photos on another computer

    What, no 8-Track tapes?

    I am an advocate for archiving data to Digital tape, but your
    problems with Data CDs or DVDs not playing on any other
    drives is a new one to me. I actually use CDs and DVDs to
    transfer data and diagnostic programs whenever I help out
    friends and neighbors, with their computer setups.

    That there are sometimes compatibility issues between some
    devices, even now a days, is not to say that you can't generally
    expect that data burned on your PC will be readable on most
    anyone else's PC.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Mar 24, 2008
  12. Ernie Jones

    OnRequest Guest

    "UncleDave" <dhyndman(at)sasktel.net> wrote in message

    > "OnRequest" <Onrequest@mychoice> wrote in message
    >>I am having good luck with a VCR-DVD combo set bought at Wal-Mart:
    >>MAGNAVOX MWR20V6 -- $148.93 + tax, last July 2007. I see them now
    >>available at online stores for a lot less money. At the time, it was the
    >>lowest price item I saw in any of the local electronic stores.
    >>
    >> I am using it to dub old VHS tapes to DVD and it has worked for me. I
    >> put the dubbed DVD into my computer and copy the .vob files to my hard
    >> drive for editing and making family videos. I did find one glitch, and
    >> that was that although the dubbed DVD will play in the Magnavox it was
    >> made on, it will not itself play in my other standalone DVD player which
    >> is a Panasonic; since I did not need it to play in a DVD player, I have
    >> just gone on with it and really did not resolve the issue. I am using
    >> DVD+R discs and have heard that Panasonics may have a problem with DVD+R.
    >> I am doing my dubs in the highest quality mode only, they call it HQ;
    >> this limits the dubbed DVD to about one hour of recording. Hope this is
    >> useful information.
    >>
    >> "Gomer Gooberman" <> wrote in message
    >> I'd appreciate hearing from someone who has bought a unit recently that
    >> will record from either of DVD or VHS to other.
    >>
    >> Walmart has one RCA model with digital tuner for $148, but a search of
    >> the review sites shows 20% favorable postings - not good. I saw several
    >> at Circuit City the other day under $300, and quite a few under $200.
    >> Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, and others.
    >>
    >> I'm not looking for the very best quality recording -- the main thing is
    >> ease of use since this will be for an elderly fellow.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>

    > Are you finalizing the disks once copied from VHS to DVD? That's the firs
    > tplace to start looking

    Yes, the dubbed DVD+R discs made on the Magnavox combo player are finalized;
    and they have to be finalized to be able to read them in my computer DVDRW
    drive. When playing the disc in the other (Panasonic) DVD player it is
    stuck at 'Reading' with yellow dots counting forward, and does not get past
    that stage. I have also confirmed that the Panasonic player plays normal
    DVD's just fine.

    OnRequest, Mar 24, 2008
  13. Ernie Jones

    Di Guest

    Re: What's a good DVD/VHS Combo Unit?

    Unless UDF format is being used?
    I haven't used InCD or other similar programs for years, but back then UDF
    could only be read on the pc they were created on.
    That may have changed now of course although I have heard it is still the
    case.

    Di, Mar 24, 2008
  14. Ernie Jones

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, wrote:
    >On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 12:16:17 -0500, "OnRequest" <Onrequest@mychoice>
    >wrote:

    >Home burned CDs and DVDs have always had this problem. They have to
    >be played on the original drive they were burned on, or they're
    >useless. I thought that DVDs may have overcome this problem but I see
    >now they did not. I dont even own a CD or DVD burner. Why bother,
    >it's false security for backups, and I have no reason to burn music
    >cds or movies. My VCR works just fine for movies and I can transfer
    >music on a flash stick.

    That a pretty blanket statement. You most likely had an old CD drive that
    either couldnt read CDRW's or other similar issues. Also, if he used some sort
    of backup program that used the UDF format and you didnt have a UDF reader
    installed in your pc, that could have resulted in you not being able to read
    them.

    GMAN, Mar 24, 2008
  15. Ernie Jones

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "Di" <> wrote in message
    > Unless UDF format is being used?
    > I haven't used InCD or other similar programs for years, but back then UDF
    > could only be read on the pc they were created on.
    > That may have changed now of course although I have heard it is still the
    > case.

    You mean the "Universal Disk Format" could only be played
    on the PC that created it? That would be news to a great many.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Disk_Format

    "InCD" is another matter, your systems had to be setup to
    work with the same packet writing scheme. Most of us
    stayed away from that approach because it often caused
    conflicts with the standard OS file handling.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InCD

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Mar 24, 2008
  16. Ernie Jones

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, "Di" <> wrote:
    >Unless UDF format is being used?
    >I haven't used InCD or other similar programs for years, but back then UDF
    >could only be read on the pc they were created on.
    >That may have changed now of course although I have heard it is still the
    >case.

    Windows XP has a built in UDF reader driver. All one had to do is install
    prior to XP, a driver easily downloadable from the internet that allowed
    reading of UDF formatted disks

    GMAN, Mar 24, 2008
  17. Ernie Jones

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, "OnRequest" <Onrequest@mychoice> wrote:

    >"UncleDave" <dhyndman(at)sasktel.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "OnRequest" <Onrequest@mychoice> wrote in message
    >>>I am having good luck with a VCR-DVD combo set bought at Wal-Mart:
    >>>MAGNAVOX MWR20V6 -- $148.93 + tax, last July 2007. I see them now
    >>>available at online stores for a lot less money. At the time, it was the
    >>>lowest price item I saw in any of the local electronic stores.
    >>>
    >>> I am using it to dub old VHS tapes to DVD and it has worked for me. I
    >>> put the dubbed DVD into my computer and copy the .vob files to my hard
    >>> drive for editing and making family videos. I did find one glitch, and
    >>> that was that although the dubbed DVD will play in the Magnavox it was
    >>> made on, it will not itself play in my other standalone DVD player which
    >>> is a Panasonic; since I did not need it to play in a DVD player, I have
    >>> just gone on with it and really did not resolve the issue. I am using
    >>> DVD+R discs and have heard that Panasonics may have a problem with DVD+R.
    >>> I am doing my dubs in the highest quality mode only, they call it HQ;
    >>> this limits the dubbed DVD to about one hour of recording. Hope this is
    >>> useful information.
    >>>
    >>> "Gomer Gooberman" <> wrote in message
    >>> I'd appreciate hearing from someone who has bought a unit recently that
    >>> will record from either of DVD or VHS to other.
    >>>
    >>> Walmart has one RCA model with digital tuner for $148, but a search of
    >>> the review sites shows 20% favorable postings - not good. I saw several
    >>> at Circuit City the other day under $300, and quite a few under $200.
    >>> Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, and others.
    >>>
    >>> I'm not looking for the very best quality recording -- the main thing is
    >>> ease of use since this will be for an elderly fellow.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>

    >> Are you finalizing the disks once copied from VHS to DVD? That's the firs
    >> tplace to start looking

    >Yes, the dubbed DVD+R discs made on the Magnavox combo player are finalized;
    >and they have to be finalized to be able to read them in my computer DVDRW
    >drive. When playing the disc in the other (Panasonic) DVD player it is
    >stuck at 'Reading' with yellow dots counting forward, and does not get past
    >that stage. I have also confirmed that the Panasonic player plays normal
    >DVD's just fine.

    DVD+R format was an afterthought. There was only ever going to be the DVD+RW
    format from the + camp until they seen the immensly popular DVD-R format
    taking off in popularity and use. So many early players that could handle
    reading DVD-R or -RW's , couldn't read the +R format disks for playback.

    The problem was sorta worked around when DVD+R burners started showing up that
    could have their book identification changed at recording to be that of
    a DVD-ROM format instead of the native +R book. Once the book was viewed by
    the player as a DVD-ROM, many had no problems playing them on the older
    players.

    GMAN, Mar 24, 2008
  18. Ernie Jones

    UCLAN Guest

    GMAN wrote:

    > That a pretty blanket statement. You most likely had an old CD drive that
    > either couldnt read CDRW's or other similar issues. Also, if he used some sort
    > of backup program that used the UDF format and you didnt have a UDF reader
    > installed in your pc, that could have resulted in you not being able to read
    > them.

    This thread no longer has *anything* to do with VCRs. Why is it being
    crossposted to alt.video.vcr ??

    --
    Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens.

    UCLAN, Mar 24, 2008
  19. Ernie Jones

    Di Guest

    Re: What's a good DVD/VHS Combo Unit?

    I was referring to InCD in particular. Started using it years ago and soon
    discovered how limited it uses were.
    Cannot remember if I was running it unfder Win 95 or 98 but it seemed to
    cause a load of problems with the OS too as you have mentioned.

    Di, Mar 24, 2008