    www.rayspace.com/gallery.html
    "I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere,
    than in any city on earth" - Steve McQueen

    Lunaray, Jan 16, 2005

  2. Lunaray

    Joe Blow Guest

    Lunaray wrote:

    > I want to replace my old DVD player with one that supports all of the latest
    > DVD formats and I think I want a combo DVD/VHS-unit, I've looked around on
    > the web and right now I'm leaning toward the Sony SLV-D300P! Any thoughts,
    > recommendations?
    >
    > Thanks!

    My recommendation is probably one you don't want to hear, but I'd say
    you should avoid combo dvd/vhs units at all costs. When confronted
    with a similar desire to yours about two years ago, I did some research
    and heard nothing but complaints about these things breaking down. I
    opted to get a slim DVD player (Panasonic RV32) and a reasonably slim
    VCR (Hitachi VTFX665A). This turned out to be a good decision for me.
    I'd suggest doing some research and finding the best and slimmest
    DVD players and VCRs out there and just stack 'em on top of one another.
    For the DVD player I recommend Philips DVP642. As for VCRs, I have
    absolutely no idea anymore. I got an RCA VR546 a year ago and it has
    been reliable, but I don't put it to the test much. I bought it mainly
    because it got halfway decent reviews (which says a lot for the pathetic
    state of VCR manufacturing these days) and because overstock.com offered
    it for 40 bucks. My pseudo "combo unit" cost me $95 and I have not
    regretted the decision.

    JB

    Joe Blow, Jan 16, 2005

  3. Lunaray

    Lunaray Guest

    Thanks JB, your comments are very helpful and they have made me reconsider!
    I already have two VHS players and though they're a few years old, they
    really haven't seen a lot of heavy use, so buying another VHS stand-alone
    wouldn't make any sense. I was just hoping to streamline my system, but if
    it means a piece of equipment that is unreliable, or of poor quality, I
    guess I should stick with individual components! Thanks again!

    Lunaray, Jan 16, 2005
  4. WE have 2 both have been great, have no complaints at all. Have had them for
    well over two years.

    Chris and Rod Farran, Jan 16, 2005
  5. Lunaray

    TCS Guest

    On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 21:46:14 -0800, Lunaray <> wrote:
    >I want to replace my old DVD player with one that supports all of the latest
    >DVD formats and I think I want a combo DVD/VHS-unit, I've looked around on
    >the web and right now I'm leaning toward the Sony SLV-D300P! Any thoughts,
    >recommendations?

    Stay away from sony. You'll be luck if it lives a month past the waranty
    period, especially with their cheaper consumer goods.

    TCS, Jan 16, 2005
  6. Lunaray

    Tarkus Guest

    On 1/15/2005 11:06:42 PM, Lunaray wrote:

    > Thanks JB, your comments are very helpful and they have made me
    > reconsider! I already have two VHS players and though they're a few
    > years old, they really haven't seen a lot of heavy use, so buying
    > another VHS stand-alone wouldn't make any sense. I was just hoping to
    > streamline my system, but if it means a piece of equipment that is
    > unreliable, or of poor quality, I guess I should stick with individual
    > components! Thanks again!

    Remember, his research is two years old. It's quite likely that they've
    been made more reliable since then. I would suggest you do your own
    research before jumping to any conclusions.
    --
    "Time is not important, only life is important"

    Now playing: "Genesis - The Knife"

    Tarkus, Jan 16, 2005
  7. Lunaray

    TCS Guest

    On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 09:43:45 -0800, Tarkus <> wrote:
    >On 1/15/2005 11:06:42 PM, Lunaray wrote:

    >> Thanks JB, your comments are very helpful and they have made me
    >> reconsider! I already have two VHS players and though they're a few
    >> years old, they really haven't seen a lot of heavy use, so buying
    >> another VHS stand-alone wouldn't make any sense. I was just hoping to
    >> streamline my system, but if it means a piece of equipment that is
    >> unreliable, or of poor quality, I guess I should stick with individual
    >> components! Thanks again!

    >Remember, his research is two years old. It's quite likely that they've
    >been made more reliable since then. I would suggest you do your own
    >research before jumping to any conclusions.

    The reliabilty is the same as two individual components taped together.
    Whichever part (dvd, vhs) dies first is going to determine the reliability
    of the entire combo player (duh.)

    I'd worry more about the DVD side. Cheap players rarely last two years while
    VCRs nowadays routinely last 10 years.

    A cheapass walmart unit won't last a year.

    TCS, Jan 16, 2005
  8. Lunaray

    Lunaray Guest

    All just opinions I guess, I've had lots of Sony products over the years;
    receivers, cassette decks, DVD player, TV's, Walkman, R2R recorder, lots of
    stuff, and not one item has ever failed me, 'guess it's like cars, every
    manufacturer puts out a few lemons!

    Lunaray, Jan 16, 2005
  9. Lunaray

    TCS Guest

    On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 11:28:45 -0800, Lunaray <> wrote:
    >All just opinions I guess, I've had lots of Sony products over the years;
    >receivers, cassette decks, DVD player, TV's, Walkman, R2R recorder, lots of
    >stuff, and not one item has ever failed me, 'guess it's like cars, every
    >manufacturer puts out a few lemons!

    Maybe you've avoided their cheapest offerings. I do a bit of repair work
    on the side and sony's don't impress me. Often they are built to be assembled
    once with connectors that break if used twice. Nobody can outcheap sony;
    they'll do things to save a penny even if it means reducing the lifespan
    from decades to months.

    If sony were a car, I guess it'd be a Hyundai. Sufficient engineering, but
    a design philosophy around using the cheapest parts possible.

    TCS, Jan 16, 2005
  10. Lunaray

    Tarkus Guest

    On 1/16/2005 10:38:40 AM, TCS wrote:

    > The reliabilty is the same as two individual components taped together.
    > Whichever part (dvd, vhs) dies first is going to determine the
    > reliability of the entire combo player (duh.)

    Not necessarily, because they certainly share some components. So it's
    not like they have two of everything to possibly fail.

    I would agree that you should probably stay away from the cheap Wal-Mart
    units if you want it to last, though.

    Personally, I've had great luck with both VHS and DVD players, but I've
    tended to stay away from the generic units.
    --
    "The term is 'courting,' thank you. The restraining order
    says 'no-no,' but her eyes say 'yes-yes.'"

    Now playing: "Genesis - The Knife"

    Tarkus, Jan 16, 2005
  11. Lunaray

    Tarkus Guest

    On 1/16/2005 11:28:45 AM, Lunaray wrote:

    > All just opinions I guess, I've had lots of Sony products over the
    > years; receivers, cassette decks, DVD player, TV's, Walkman, R2R
    > recorder, lots of stuff, and not one item has ever failed me, 'guess
    > it's like cars, every manufacturer puts out a few lemons!

    I've had the same success with Sony.
    --
    "I reckon what you is wanting to know is how come me had killed
    somebody so I reckon I'll start at the front and tell ye."

    Now playing: "Genesis - The Knife"

    Tarkus, Jan 16, 2005
  12. Lunaray

    Joe Blow Guest

    TCS wrote:
    > On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 09:43:45 -0800, Tarkus <> wrote:

    > The reliabilty is the same as two individual components taped together.
    > Whichever part (dvd, vhs) dies first is going to determine the reliability
    > of the entire combo player (duh.)
    >
    > I'd worry more about the DVD side. Cheap players rarely last two years while
    > VCRs nowadays routinely last 10 years.
    >
    > A cheapass walmart unit won't last a year.

    Huh? Assuming you're also talking about cheap VCRs, you claim that
    they're routinely manufactured these days with enough quality to
    last 10 years??? That certainly has not been my experience, and
    it flies in the face of reason. VHS has a dying market. Why on
    earth would the big manufacturers bother putting the time and effort
    to make VCRs with higher quality than their DVD players? I don't
    know a single one of the big-time VCR producers (Sony, Panasonic,
    JVC, Zenith, etc) who has even been *rumored* to be fabricating
    superior VCRs, compared either to the units of days of old or compared
    to their DVD players.

    As for your claim about combo units, I couldn't disagree with you
    more. The more moving parts there are in any one machine, particularly
    "slim" machines that economize space, the more likely the possibility
    for a breakdown. That's my duh return volley.

    JB

    Joe Blow, Jan 17, 2005
  13. Lunaray

    Tarkus Guest

    On 1/16/2005 5:48:26 PM, Joe Blow wrote:

    > TCS wrote:
    >> On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 09:43:45 -0800, Tarkus <> wrote:

    >> The reliabilty is the same as two individual components taped
    >> together. Whichever part (dvd, vhs) dies first is going to determine
    >> the reliability of the entire combo player (duh.)
    >>
    >> I'd worry more about the DVD side. Cheap players rarely last two
    >> years while VCRs nowadays routinely last 10 years.
    >>
    >> A cheapass walmart unit won't last a year.

    I didn't write that. Please learn to quote.
    --
    "When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth."

    Now playing: "Gentle Giant - Funny Ways"

    Tarkus, Jan 17, 2005
  14. Lunaray

    TCS Guest

    On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 01:48:26 GMT, Joe Blow <> wrote:
    >TCS wrote:
    >> On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 09:43:45 -0800, Tarkus <> wrote:

    >> The reliabilty is the same as two individual components taped together.
    >> Whichever part (dvd, vhs) dies first is going to determine the reliability
    >> of the entire combo player (duh.)
    >>
    >> I'd worry more about the DVD side. Cheap players rarely last two years while
    >> VCRs nowadays routinely last 10 years.
    >>
    >> A cheapass walmart unit won't last a year.

    >Huh? Assuming you're also talking about cheap VCRs, you claim that
    >they're routinely manufactured these days with enough quality to
    >last 10 years??? That certainly has not been my experience, and
    >it flies in the face of reason. VHS has a dying market. Why on

    I have three players pushing ten years. Twenty years ago, you'd be lucky
    if a player made it 3 years without requiring service, typically a worn
    out idler wheel.

    DVD players, especially cheap ones, aren't nearly as reliable as VCRs.

    TCS, Jan 17, 2005
  15. Lunaray

    Joe Blow Guest

    TCS wrote:
    >>Huh? Assuming you're also talking about cheap VCRs, you claim that
    >>they're routinely manufactured these days with enough quality to
    >>last 10 years??? That certainly has not been my experience, and
    >>it flies in the face of reason. VHS has a dying market. Why on

    > I have three players pushing ten years. Twenty years ago, you'd be lucky
    > if a player made it 3 years without requiring service, typically a worn
    > out idler wheel.
    >
    > DVD players, especially cheap ones, aren't nearly as reliable as VCRs.

    We'll just have to disagree. My feeling is that if we took a poll among
    people like me, who have bought VCRs both 10+ years ago and within the
    past 2 or 3 years, that the majority would say that the VCRs they bought
    before DVDs came along were far more reliable. That's both my
    experience and what I gather from VCR reviews on vendor sites and
    newsgroups.

    I should add that my Hitachi VTFX665A, purchased almost 3 years ago, is
    still functional, but it makes suspicious noises and I don't have high
    hopes that it'll last much longer. A Panasonic VCR that I bought in the
    mid-80s lasted me 10 years. In addition, I got burned on 2001-made
    Sony and JVC VCRs before I stumbled onto the more reliable Hitachi model.

    JB

    Joe Blow, Jan 17, 2005
  16. Lunaray

    Joe Blow Guest

    Tarkus wrote:

    > On 1/16/2005 5:48:26 PM, Joe Blow wrote:
    >

    >>TCS wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 09:43:45 -0800, Tarkus <> wrote:

    >>>The reliabilty is the same as two individual components taped
    >>>together. Whichever part (dvd, vhs) dies first is going to determine
    >>>the reliability of the entire combo player (duh.)
    >>>
    >>>I'd worry more about the DVD side. Cheap players rarely last two
    >>>years while VCRs nowadays routinely last 10 years.
    >>>
    >>>A cheapass walmart unit won't last a year.

    > I didn't write that. Please learn to quote.

    Yes, there is a great danger that twenty years from now,
    when Googlers of the future are poring over this fascinating
    thread, that your name will be mud as a result. Good thing
    you spotted this and cleared the record.

    JB

    Joe Blow, Jan 17, 2005
  17. Lunaray

    Black Locust Guest

    In article
    <>,
    TCS <> wrote:

    > I'd worry more about the DVD side. Cheap players rarely last two years while
    > VCRs nowadays routinely last 10 years.

    *laughs* No they don't. Manufacturers are intentonially making VCRs as
    cheaply as possible these days to drive DVD player sales. You'll be
    lucky to get 1 year out of a new VCR before a belt breaks or the motor
    dies. Open up alt.video.vcr and witness all the complaints about new
    VCRs failing on people just a few months out of the box.

    Black Locust, Jan 18, 2005
  18. Lunaray

    Black Locust Guest

    In article
    <>,
    TCS <> wrote:

    > I have three players pushing ten years. Twenty years ago, you'd be lucky
    > if a player made it 3 years without requiring service, typically a worn
    > out idler wheel.

    VCRs manufactured 10 years ago are of MUCH higher quality than the ones
    being made NOW. Infact I'd say the high-end VCRs from Sony, Panasonic,
    Toshiba, JVC etc. in 1995 were probably the finest units in the history
    of VCR manufacturing. The VHS format was at it's peak at that time and
    electronics manufactures had pretty much perfected VCR technology. They
    were using the finest parts available at that time and built the things
    to last.

    I'm sure Reinhart will back me up here as well.

    > DVD players, especially cheap ones, aren't nearly as reliable as VCRs.

    My mother bought 2 DVD/VHS combo units. The VHS portion was the first to
    go out on both units. She has since then given up on combo players.
    Although this was a couple years ago, so it's possible the combo units
    could be built better now. DVD players are definitely made of higher
    quality than VHS players these days. As long as it isn't a POS $30 DVD
    player. That's a FACT.

    Black Locust, Jan 18, 2005
  19. Lunaray

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <U_FGd.49895$>,
    Joe Blow <> wrote:

    > We'll just have to disagree. My feeling is that if we took a poll among
    > people like me, who have bought VCRs both 10+ years ago and within the
    > past 2 or 3 years, that the majority would say that the VCRs they bought
    > before DVDs came along were far more reliable. That's both my
    > experience and what I gather from VCR reviews on vendor sites and
    > newsgroups.

    Indeed. Check out this thread from alt.video.vcr to see just how god
    awful VCR's are these days.

    http://tinyurl.com/3j4uy

    Black Locust, Jan 18, 2005
  20. Lunaray

    MarMac Guest

    > If sony were a car, I guess it'd be a Hyundai. Sufficient engineering,
    > but
    > a design philosophy around using the cheapest parts possible.

    I guess you haven't heard that Hyundai now has a 10 year/100,000 mile
    warranty? They must have some confidence in their quality to have the best
    warranty in the business.

    I have 3 Sony VHS machines, one of which was manufactured in 1993, another
    in 1995 and the third in 1997. They all work perfectly and are used every
    single day.

    For DVD/VHS combo, you can't beat a GoVideo combo machine. I have 2 of them
    (one at work) and use it just about everyday.

    On the other side, my Mom bought a God-awful Symphonic machine from Walmart
    at Christmas 2003. It lasted about 5 months with very little use. She took
    it back and WalMart gave her another one, this time a newer model. It lasted
    about 3 months, and she used it very little!! She got another one and it
    lasted about 2 weeks! She only played 2 disks and about 10 tapes and it just
    quit!! She got her money back this time and bought a GoVideo and it has
    worked great for about a month. I think she will use it for a long time.

    MarMac

    MarMac, Jan 20, 2005