    Sony SLV-D370P).

    Would it be better to get one of these, or with a separated dvd player and
    vcr?
    TissuePaper, Feb 22, 2007

  2. TissuePaper

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <45dd1727$0$28154$>,
    TissuePaper <> wrote:
    >I'm thinking about getting one of these for my grandparents (looking at the
    >Sony SLV-D370P).
    >
    >Would it be better to get one of these, or with a separated dvd player and
    >vcr?

    Most people here recommend getting separates unless space is the single
    overriding factor. Either the VCR or DVD section will eventually break
    before the other, leaving you with a half-functional machine.

    That said, VCR-omly units are getting tougher and tougher to find.
    Mike S., Feb 22, 2007

  3. TissuePaper

    Sudy Nim Guest

    "Mike S." <> wrote in message

    > In article <45dd1727$0$28154$>,
    > TissuePaper <> wrote:
    > >I'm thinking about getting one of these for my grandparents (looking at

    the
    > >Sony SLV-D370P).
    > >
    > >Would it be better to get one of these, or with a separated dvd player

    and
    > >vcr?

    > Most people here recommend getting separates unless space is the single
    > overriding factor. Either the VCR or DVD section will eventually break
    > before the other, leaving you with a half-functional machine.
    >
    > That said, VCR-omly units are getting tougher and tougher to find.

    Not much to chose from in VCR's today. Personally I would stay away from
    both Sony and Panasonic unless you find one that cost BIG money. The $200 to
    $300 range, are all junk. Avoid the JVC brand except maybe the JVC VCR
    HMDT100U for $1199.00. If you (have too) get a Sony. Just purchased a
    Christmas present for a family member, it was a combination DVD and VCR.
    Still works OK and the only complaint is the small remote size.

    Toshiba DVD/VCR Combo SDV394
    Regular Price: $ 99.99
    Featured Price: $ 93.00

    Toshiba Progressive Scan DVD/VCR Combo - SDV394/ JPEG Viewer/ WMA/MP3
    Playback/ Virtual Surround Sound/ Simultaneous DVD playback And VHS Record/
    ColorStream Pro Component Video Output/ Auto Clock Set/ 4-Head/19-Micron
    Hi-Fi Stereo VHS Playback/ Silver Finish
    In Stock / Free Shipping

    http://www.abtelectronics.com/product/22346.html

    I do not have any connection to this company but I have purchased several
    products from them. I never had a problem returning anything and their
    pricing is good and sales are great to watch for, just my 2ยข worth.
    Sudy Nim, Feb 22, 2007
  4. "Sudy Nim" <> wrote:

    > Not much to chose from in VCR's today. Personally I would stay away from
    > both Sony and Panasonic unless you find one that cost BIG money.

    Pshaw. I'd say the Panasonic pure VCR is just fine at sixty dollars
    last year.

    The combo idea seems stupid. Get separates.
    Walter Traprock, Feb 22, 2007
  5. On 2/21/2007, TissuePaper posted this:
    > I'm thinking about getting one of these for my grandparents (looking at the
    > Sony SLV-D370P).
    >
    > Would it be better to get one of these, or with a separated dvd player and
    > vcr?

    Since it's the grandparents, a combo might be the best thing, if
    they're not too technically literate.

    If some people's remarks are correct, you might have to get them
    another unit before very long (what, a couple of years from now?). If
    you don't mind that, go for it.

    Check it out before you buy or send it, though. We got a VCR for my
    partner's mother, who was about 88 at the time. Its user interface was
    so user hostile that we returned it the next day and got another. Heck,
    I couldn't've used it myself. Note: no snide remarks accepted :)

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
    letters617blochg3251
    Gene E. Bloch, Feb 22, 2007
  6. TissuePaper

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    In alt.video.dvd TissuePaper <> wrote:
    > I'm thinking about getting one of these for my grandparents (looking at the
    > Sony SLV-D370P).

    > Would it be better to get one of these, or with a separated dvd player and
    > vcr?

    I have a Panasonic VCR/DVD-recorder which works pretty well, but its way
    more complicated than if we had just bought a separate DVD-recorder and
    VCR. It also has the unfortunate tendency to freeze up about once a
    month, requiring us to unplug it for a few seconds before plugging it back
    in to get it to respond to commands again.

    If your grandparents aren't going to use the VCR part at all, I'd
    reccomend just getting a simple, standalone DVD player.

    I also heartily agree with the other poster's tip about trying out the
    device. I bought my grandma a new TV to replace her old one. I tried to
    find a set with a nice simple remote, but ended up getting her a set that
    has some rather odd and STUPID quirks. No wonder it was on sale...
    Fortunatly, Grandma is used to punching in her channel numbers directly
    (she only cares about a few) and we wrote down directions for her on how
    to use the DVD player, so she can watch videos of her grandchildren.
    That's good enough for her.

    I don't know who some of these companies hire to do their HID, but they
    should actually TRY using their own products once in awhile to make sure
    that they're actually usable by a human being who doesn't havea BS in
    electrical engineering.

    --
    Win cash and giftcards just for clicking your mouse!
    http://www.netwinner.com/?signupCode=amuro98
    Doug Jacobs, Feb 23, 2007
  7. On 2/23/2007, Doug Jacobs posted this:

    <SNIP>

    > I don't know who some of these companies hire to do their HID, but they
    > should actually TRY using their own products once in awhile to make sure
    > that they're actually usable by a human being who doesn't havea BS in
    > electrical engineering.

    Amen.

    Actually, many aren't usable by anyone, even the above mentioned
    engineer. I suspect only the respective designers know how to use
    them...

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
    letters617blochg3251