DVD Troubles

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Jerry Bradford, Jun 8, 2005.

  1. This is killing me. My system consists of a VIA K8T800 chipset and a
    BENQ DW800A DVD flashed with the lastes firmware. Here's the problem:
    1) The Drive will display in both device manager and windows explorer
    as a DVD-RW Drive.
    2) Once I insert blank meidia (CD-R, DVD+R, DVD-R) the name of the
    drive in explorer changes to CD Drive, however, device manager still
    displays the drive as a DVD-RW Drive.
    3) I can burn data to a blank CD-R using Explorer or Nero
    4) I CANNOT burn data, video, etc. to a blank DVD disc of any kind.
    5) Nero will not burn to the disc, Explorer won't even add data to the
    disc. I've tried Memorex, Verbatim and Sony Discs in the drive and it's
    always the same result.

    I've tried disabling Norton Antivirus, I've tired the native Windows64
    Drivers, I've tired the Via Hyperion Pro 5.00a drivers, I've changed the
    DMA2 mode to PIO, nothing seems to work!

    To the best of my knowledge I have the most recent bios for my
    motherboard. What else am I missing? Should I just replace the
    stinking BENQ drive with something that works. If so, WHAT?

    Any info would be greatly appreciated.

    Thank you,

    Jerry Bradford

    Jerry Bradford, Jun 8, 2005

  2. Jerry Bradford

    Dennis Pack Guest

    "Jerry Bradford" <> wrote in message
    > This is killing me. My system consists of a VIA K8T800 chipset and a
    > BENQ DW800A DVD flashed with the lastes firmware. Here's the problem:
    > 1) The Drive will display in both device manager and windows explorer
    > as a DVD-RW Drive.
    > 2) Once I insert blank meidia (CD-R, DVD+R, DVD-R) the name of the
    > drive in explorer changes to CD Drive, however, device manager still
    > displays the drive as a DVD-RW Drive.
    > 3) I can burn data to a blank CD-R using Explorer or Nero
    > 4) I CANNOT burn data, video, etc. to a blank DVD disc of any kind.
    > 5) Nero will not burn to the disc, Explorer won't even add data to the
    > disc. I've tried Memorex, Verbatim and Sony Discs in the drive and it's
    > always the same result.
    >
    > I've tried disabling Norton Antivirus, I've tired the native Windows64
    > Drivers, I've tired the Via Hyperion Pro 5.00a drivers, I've changed the
    > DMA2 mode to PIO, nothing seems to work!
    >
    > To the best of my knowledge I have the most recent bios for my
    > motherboard. What else am I missing? Should I just replace the
    > stinking BENQ drive with something that works. If so, WHAT?
    >
    > Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Jerry Bradford

    From MKBA #316529.

    SYMPTOMS

    When you attempt to burn data to a compact disc recordable (CD-R) drive or
    compact disc rewritable (CD-RW) drive, you may not have the option to send
    data to the CD-ROM drive.

    When you view the properties of the CD-R drive or CD-RW drive, you may
    notice that the Recording tab is not displayed in the CD Drive
    (drive_letter:) Properties dialog box, where drive_letter is the letter of
    the CD-R drive or CD-RW drive.

    Note To view the CD Drive (drive_letter:) Properties dialog box, click
    Start, click My Computer, right-click the CD-R drive or CD-RW drive that you
    want, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu.

    Back to the top

    CAUSE

    This issue can occur when the drive is misdetected as a non-recordable
    device.

    Back to the top

    RESOLUTION

    To resolve this issue, edit the Microsoft Windows registry to identify the
    CD-R drive or CD-RW drive as a recordable drive. To do this, follow these
    steps.WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious
    problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft
    cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry
    Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

    1.
    Click Start, and then click Run.

    2.
    In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.

    3.
    Expand the following registry subkey:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CD
    Burning\Drives

    4.
    On the File menu, click Export.

    5.
    In the File name box, type backup of drives key, and then click Save.

    Note You can restore this registry subkey by double-clicking the
    backup of drives key.reg file that you saved.

    6.
    In the left pane of the Registry Editor window, click the Volume{GUID}
    folder under Drives, where GUID is a 32-character hexadecimal globally
    unique identifier.

    Note If you have more than one CD-ROM drive in the computer, an
    additional Volume{GUID} folder is listed for each drive.

    7.
    In the right pane of the Registry Editor window, double-click Drive
    Type.

    8.
    In the Value data box, type 1 or 2, depending on the drive type, and
    then click OK.

    The drive type should be 1 if it is a CD-R and 2 if it is a CD-RW.

    9.
    Quit Registry Editor.

    10.
    Click Start, and then click My Computer.

    11.
    Under Devices with Removable Storage, right-click the CD-R drive or
    CD-RW drive, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu.

    12.
    If the Recording tab is displayed, Windows recognizes the drive as a
    recordable device.

    13.
    Click Cancel.

    Note If you have more than one CD-ROM drive, DVD-ROM drive, or CD-RW
    drive in the computer and the Recording tab is not displayed, an incorrect
    drive may have been configured as "recordable" in the Windows registry. To
    troubleshoot this issue, follow these steps:

    a.
    Follow steps 1 through 9 to edit the Drive Type value of the
    Volume{GUID} folder whose value you previously changed.

    b.
    In the Value data box, type 3, and then click OK.

    The drive type value of 3 indicates that the drive is a standard
    CD-ROM and is not writable.

    c.
    In the left pane of the Registry Editor window, click the next
    Volume{GUID} folder.

    d.
    Follow steps 7 and 8 to change the Value data entry to 1 or 2,
    depending on the drive type.

    e.
    Quit Registry Editor, and then follow steps 10 through 12 to
    confirm that the Recording tab is displayed in the properties dialog box of
    the CD-R drive or CD-RW drive.

    Dennis Pack, Jun 9, 2005

  3. Dennis Pack wrote:
> [...]

    > troubleshoot this issue, follow these steps:
    >
    > a.
    > Follow steps 1 through 9 to edit the Drive Type value of the
    > Volume{GUID} folder whose value you previously changed.
    >
    > b.
    > In the Value data box, type 3, and then click OK.
    >
    > The drive type value of 3 indicates that the drive is a standard
    > CD-ROM and is not writable.
    >
    > c.
    > In the left pane of the Registry Editor window, click the next
    > Volume{GUID} folder.
    >
    > d.
    > Follow steps 7 and 8 to change the Value data entry to 1 or 2,
    > depending on the drive type.
    >
    > e.
    > Quit Registry Editor, and then follow steps 10 through 12 to
    > confirm that the Recording tab is displayed in the properties dialog box of

    Thanks for the tips, but it didn't help. Both drives were already
    listed as 2. The also both have burning tabs, and I can burn regulard
    CDRW discs in both drives. It's just the DVD drive that's giving me
    trouble. When I insert blank DVD media, the drive displays as a regular
    CDROM and will refuse to burn to the drive. I did manage to get Nero to
    work once. by starting the wizard, selecting the drive, adding the files
    then i inserted the blank disc right before I clicked the burn icon.
    It actually burned data files to the disc. I have yet to create a DVD
    in this drive under x64. I've tried WinDVD Creator (gives an ASPI error
    on start), Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 (refuses to acknowledge a DVD burner
    at all). Any other suggestions are completely welcome. I know the drive
    works, since I've installed Win64 on a secondary hard drive I still have
    my original 32bit installation and everything works perfectly there.

    Thanks again.

    Jerry Bradford, Jun 9, 2005