DVD to VHS

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by natch, Nov 20, 2004.

  1. natch

    natch Guest

    I am trying to copy DVD to VHS and am confused how this whole
    Macrovision thing works and how to circumvent it. I have had a DVD
    player for 4 years, actually one for 3 and a new one for 1. I have had
    two VCR's as well. All three plus a cable box were hooked up to my tv.
    Fairly often I will rent a DVD at Blockbuster and have to return in in
    3 days yet I havent had time to watch the extras or maybe I want to
    hear the commentary. So I copy the DVD over to VHS before returning it
    and I can see it at my lesiure. It works fine.
    I needed to replace both VCR's and in doing some research have been
    hearing about this Macrovision encoding, and how "newer" models have
    it. So I buy two new VCR's and now I cant copy DVD to VHS. That would
    lead me to include the macrovision encoding is in the VCR not the DVD.
    Afterall Ive been copying DVD to VHS fine for years right? But in
    doing some more reading I read that it is the DVD player with the
    encoding. How can that be? I am confused. I hear that there are ways
    to "crack" it. I also see you can buy devices to circumvent it, though
    they all seem to be european. These are the units I have -

    DVD Panasonic DVD S35
    VCR 1 Panasonic PV-V4524S
    VCR 2 - Sony SLV N750 (or N760)

    Any enlightenment on what is going on and any help in circumventing
    this is most appreciated.

    natch, Nov 20, 2004

  2. natch

    Biz Guest

    If you've got time to record it in realtime, you might as well be watching
    it at the same time. Look for a SIMA Color Corrector Pro, or rip it to your
    pc and dub at your leisure.

    Biz, Nov 20, 2004

  3. natch

    DavesVideo Guest

    Biz said:

    >>If you've got time to record it in realtime, you might as well be watching

    it at the same time.>>

    I don't follow your reasoning. Do you mean that if you were to copy something
    you would have to sit and watch it the whole time. Most recorders are automatic
    once you push the button. The extras would require some intervention, but not
    full time monitoring.

    Dave
    http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave

    DavesVideo, Nov 20, 2004
  4. natch

    Biz Guest

    "DavesVideo" <> wrote in message
    > Biz said:
    >
    > >>If you've got time to record it in realtime, you might as well be

    watching
    > it at the same time.>>
    >
    > I don't follow your reasoning. Do you mean that if you were to copy

    something
    > you would have to sit and watch it the whole time. Most recorders are

    automatic
    > once you push the button. The extras would require some intervention, but

    not
    > full time monitoring.

    The extras was exactly what the OP was referring to, having to come back all
    the time, to choose the next featurette, etc.., and doing it to a schedule
    based on the length of each extra, might as well just sit and watch the darn
    things.

    Biz, Nov 20, 2004
  5. natch

    Jon Purkey Guest

    On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 20:41:34 GMT, "Biz" <> wrote:

    >The extras was exactly what the OP was referring to, having to come back all
    >the time, to choose the next featurette, etc.., and doing it to a schedule
    >based on the length of each extra, might as well just sit and watch the darn
    >things.

    Yes, but you can be copying the DVD to tape while watching live TV.
    Just switch the output every now and then to see how the copying is
    going.

    -
    -Jon Purkey - <)

    Jon Purkey, Nov 21, 2004
  6. On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:14:37 -0800, natch wrote:

    > Ive been copying DVD to VHS fine for years right? But in doing some more
    > reading I read that it is the DVD player with the encoding. How can that
    > be? I am confused. I hear that there are ways to "crack" it. I also see
    > you can buy devices to circumvent it, though they all seem to be european.
    > These are the units I have -

    Macrovision is a sync killer written on the medium - either DVD or Tape -
    that prevents VCR or non-professional capture equipment from receiving a
    decent signal from a protected medium. There are several levels of MV but
    most are so trivial they can be bypassed with a paperclip and a piece of
    barbed wire. Macrovision sucks in several ways, including degrading the
    picture on ALL TVs and causing blue scan lines on many large screen TVs.
    I have hated MV and the company ever since I bought my first big screen TV
    (for a fortune back in those days) and most VCR tapes would not show
    properly.

    DeCSS is an encryption to prevent DVD copying or playing on a PC. It is
    on the DVD disk itself. If you are a programmer it is trivial to bypass.
    If not, there are multiple decryptor programs out there.

    I am not sure why you want to rip hi quality DVDs to VCR tape rather than
    to hard disk or another DVD, but killing DeCSS or Macrovision is a simple
    process with several paths to do it.

    1.
    If you are in the US, get a DVD player from below the border. I picked up
    4 new Phillips macrovision-free players for about 60 dollars about 100
    feet inside Mexico. Apparently everything sent south of the US from the
    Asia plants can't be given away if it has Macrovision on it. Had to pay
    duty, but that was trivial.

    2.
    Download a copy of DVDShrink. It will blow away every lock on a dvd and
    then you can just copy to whatever you want. Or if you insist on VHS,
    play it out to a recorder.

    3.
    Get a professional capture card - most if not all do not recognise
    Macrovision.

    4.
    Get a sync corrector like Sima. However, this is probably the least
    satisfactory solution. You will always lose some quality.

    5.
    Find an old 1980s stereo VCR (tape mechanism doesn't have to work) and put
    it between the DVD and the recording VCR. Most built back in those days
    will not pass the Macrovision on to the next device. I have also used
    this trick on a new Sony TV with a Video out jack.

    (snip)
    (87 more ways to kill the ~!@#$% Macrovision signal.)

    JP

    Jimmy Phillips, Nov 22, 2004