    To email me, take 'spluc.' out of my address.
    Please visit http://worldrallyradio.tk

    "Thieving wasp leaves thousands homeless"

    Andrew Jones, May 22, 2004

  2. Andrew Jones

    TCS Guest

    On Fri, 21 May 2004 23:17:02 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Jones <> wrote:
    >Hello, I have been looking at archives of this newsgroup and I see that
    >some DVDs can be copy protected, so they make awful VHS copies. But does
    >this happen only through a scart cable, or with the aerial connection as
    >well?

    DVD players usually don't have an RF connection and macrovision will still
    screw up a VHS recording made from RF.

    The two ways to get around macrovision are:
    hack a player; some players can be modified. Solder a wire to the right
    places and macrovision will go away. Don't even think of trying it if you
    aren't experienced. Most DVD players have traces at 40 lines/inch.

    insert a macrovision remover such as sima's color corector.

    TCS, May 22, 2004

  3. Andrew Jones

    Impmon Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Hello, I have been looking at archives of this newsgroup and I see that
    >some DVDs can be copy protected, so they make awful VHS copies. But does
    >this happen only through a scart cable, or with the aerial connection as
    >well?

    It doesn't matter what you connect with, you'll still get lousy
    picture. What you need is Macrovision defeater and it can be in the
    form of firmware upgrade for your DVD player or an external device
    that connects between the DVD p[layer and VCR and removes the
    Macrovision code.

    Also any VCR before 1990 would work as it doesn't have the AGC that
    Macrovision uses to mess up the video signal.
    --
    To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net

    Impmon, May 22, 2004
  4. >Andrew Jones <> wrote:
    >Hello, I have been looking at archives of this newsgroup and I see that
    >some DVDs can be copy protected, so they make awful VHS copies. But does
    >this happen only through a scart cable, or with the aerial connection as
    >well?

    My RCA VCR records DVDs just fine when I've made backups. Before
    seeking a solution, I'd suggest you find out if you have a problem.

    Maureen Goldman, May 22, 2004
  5. Andrew Jones

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Maureen Goldman wrote:

    >>Andrew Jones <> wrote:
    >>Hello, I have been looking at archives of this newsgroup and I see that
    >>some DVDs can be copy protected, so they make awful VHS copies. But does
    >>this happen only through a scart cable, or with the aerial connection as
    >>well?

    > My RCA VCR records DVDs just fine when I've made backups. Before
    > seeking a solution, I'd suggest you find out if you have a problem.

    Whilst I agree with your suggestion, in your particular case it could
    either be your DVD player OR your VCR which is the cause for your
    recordings being fine.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, May 22, 2004
  6. Andrew Jones

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Andrew Jones wrote:

    > Hello, I have been looking at archives of this newsgroup and I see that
    > some DVDs can be copy protected, so they make awful VHS copies. But does
    > this happen only through a scart cable, or with the aerial connection as
    > well?

    Generally speaking all commercial DVDs are protected using macrovision
    to deter copying to tape. To simplify it's workings greatly it works
    by using the differing specifications between a TV and a VCR AGC
    (automatic gain control). AGC in a TV responds quite slowly to change,
    whereas that in a VCR responds quickly. If pulses are added to the
    blanking interval between frames a TV AGC does not have time to react,
    and the pulses are ignored. In a VCR however, the faster acting AGC
    does react, and you end up with an unviewable recording.

    Many of the video enhancing and stabilisers available will clean the
    signal by removing any noise etc, and one of the pleasant side effects
    is that it will also often remove the macrovision pulses.

    In other cases people have had success by connecting their VCR to the AV
    out connector on their TV so wiring becomes DVD player to AV-in on TV.
    TV AV-out to AV-in on VCR.

    I have to say I couldn't be bothered because VHS is so clearly inferior
    in quality to DVD.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, May 22, 2004
  7. Andrew Jones

    Andrew Jones Guest

    Thanks everyone, so I suppose I have no real choice other than to get a
    Macrovision defeater. Where could I get one, and how much do they cost?

    Well, that's unless an old VCR I do have doesn't have AGC...
    --
    Andrew Jones
    http://www.trustphotosite.com/andy29
    To email me, take 'spluc.' out of my address.
    Please visit http://worldrallyradio.tk

    "It's a pocket shepherd. It costs just fifty nine pounds, a small price
    to pay for the gift of a functioning body that works properly"

    Andrew Jones, May 23, 2004
  8. >Andrew Jones <> wrote:

    >Thanks everyone, so I suppose I have no real choice other than to get a
    >Macrovision defeater. Where could I get one, and how much do they cost?
    >
    >Well, that's unless an old VCR I do have doesn't have AGC...

    Doesn't necessarily have to be an old VCR. Future Shop in Canada has
    customer remarks about the items they're selling (all new). One
    customer mentions that his new RCA VCR doesn't flag macrovision.

    Maureen Goldman, May 24, 2004
  9. Andrew Jones

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, Impmon <> wrote:
    >On Fri, 21 May 2004 23:17:02 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Jones
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Hello, I have been looking at archives of this newsgroup and I see that
    >>some DVDs can be copy protected, so they make awful VHS copies. But does
    >>this happen only through a scart cable, or with the aerial connection as
    >>well?

    >It doesn't matter what you connect with, you'll still get lousy
    >picture. What you need is Macrovision defeater and it can be in the
    >form of firmware upgrade for your DVD player or an external device
    >that connects between the DVD p[layer and VCR and removes the
    >Macrovision code.
    >
    >Also any VCR before 1990 would work as it doesn't have the AGC that
    >Macrovision uses to mess up the video signal.

    That above statement is SO far from fact that its not even funny. You shouldnt
    make a blamket statement that ALL pre 1990 vcr's have the ability to ignore
    macrovision. ALL vcr's have AGC circuitry, its just that SOME old ones didn't
    react to the injected signal in the VBI

    GMAN, May 24, 2004