    possible) and if possible free (if there is a paid program that is good I
    might get it).

    Thanks in advanced

    kenny, Dec 11, 2005

  2. Matthew C Rice, Dec 12, 2005

  3. kenny

    Mitch Guest

    In article <-privat.org>, kenny <>
    wrote:

    > I want to backup and convert my DVD collection into divx versions and write
    > them on new DVDs for computer viewing.
    > I would like to find a program that is really easy to use (as simple as
    > possible) and if possible free (if there is a paid program that is good I
    > might get it).

    I understand wanting to back up discs you own -- why are you talking
    about divx? Is there some reason you want to change the movie itself?

    Before you plan too far ahead -- do you have a dual-layer DVD burner? A
    single-layer burner just won't do it for many movies.
    Or does that have something to do with wanting to recompress the movies?

    Mitch, Dec 12, 2005
  4. kenny

    kenny Guest

    I want to compress them so I wont have a lot of DVDs.. Im not a quality
    freak.. I would like to make each movie about 700 mb so more can fit onto a
    single dvd, I know this can be done since I have seen movies compressed like
    this on P2P networks... I just dont know what tools these people are
    using...

    My dvd recorder is a dual layer.. but the media is expensive I think.. and I
    have never recoded on a dual layer... only the single ones. For some reason
    I dont trust dual layer dvds... perhaps its just my imagination but I think
    they must be sensitive to scratches and stuff.. I may be wrong though...

    If you have any experience using dual layer dvds please let me know what you
    think.. Thanks

    kenny, Dec 12, 2005
  5. kenny

    Mitch Guest

    In article <-privat.org>, kenny <>
    wrote:

    > I want to compress them so I wont have a lot of DVDs.. Im not a quality
    > freak.. I would like to make each movie about 700 mb so more can fit onto a
    > single dvd, I know this can be done since I have seen movies compressed like
    > this on P2P networks... I just dont know what tools these people are
    > using...
    >
    > My dvd recorder is a dual layer.. but the media is expensive I think.. and I
    > have never recoded on a dual layer... only the single ones. For some reason
    > I dont trust dual layer dvds... perhaps its just my imagination but I think
    > they must be sensitive to scratches and stuff.. I may be wrong though...
    >
    > If you have any experience using dual layer dvds please let me know what you
    > think.. Thanks

    No more than other kinds of DVDs, I suspect.
    Neither data layer is on the surface, so it really shouldn't have any
    different sensitivity to scratches.

    If you're not talking about making straight duplicates of your discs,
    then you're right - you can use any recompression format you care to,
    as long as it is readable anywhere you would play the movie.

    Mitch, Dec 12, 2005