DVD to AVI or WMV software

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Laphan, Feb 13, 2007.

  1. Laphan

    Laphan Guest

    Hi All

    I've searched and searched and I can't find a decent DVD to AVI / WMV ripper
    anywhere, especially a freeware one!

    I've gone and got us a camcorder that records to DVD-R / DVD-RW and hasn't
    got any cable outputs on it. Its a Canon DC100 and Canon have told me that
    I need ripping software to get the data off so that I can mess around with
    it in say MovieMaker and ultimately get it back on DVD.

    I really like the simplicity of No1 DVD Ripper, ie select DVD, select format
    (AVI, WMV, etc) and rip, but on my P4 3Ghz, 512MB, 250GB WinXP Pro SP2 PC it
    took over 5 hours to rip a 1 hour 4 min DVD (home made one so no protection)
    to AVI and the file size was 2.5GB !

    Tried WMV and although the file size went down to 500MB it still took 4
    hours!

    Canon said DVD ripping would be as fast as downloading from tape to PC via
    firewire, but this surely isn't right.

    Does anybody know how to get realistic file sizes and rip times with this
    software or one as simple?

    My friend downloaded a 45 min episode of Prison Break as an AVI file and the
    file size is only 340MB and the quality is great. How can this be so?

    Is AVI better than WMV?

    I tried the AVI xVid method, but Windows Media Player on machines that
    didn't have this codec couldn't play it!

    All I want is a very good video/audio quality file with a manageable file
    size like the Prison Break file - am I asking too much?

    Thanks for listening to my rant. Any help would be very much appreciated.

    Laphan, Feb 13, 2007

  2. Laphan

    Bill's News Guest

    "Laphan" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All
    >
    > I've searched and searched and I can't find a decent DVD to
    > AVI / WMV ripper
    > anywhere, especially a freeware one!
    >
    > I've gone and got us a camcorder that records to DVD-R /
    > DVD-RW and hasn't
    > got any cable outputs on it. Its a Canon DC100 and Canon have
    > told me that
    > I need ripping software to get the data off so that I can mess
    > around with
    > it in say MovieMaker and ultimately get it back on DVD.
    >
    > I really like the simplicity of No1 DVD Ripper, ie select DVD,
    > select format
    > (AVI, WMV, etc) and rip, but on my P4 3Ghz, 512MB, 250GB WinXP
    > Pro SP2 PC it
    > took over 5 hours to rip a 1 hour 4 min DVD (home made one so
    > no protection)
    > to AVI and the file size was 2.5GB !
    >
    > Tried WMV and although the file size went down to 500MB it
    > still took 4
    > hours!
    >
    > Canon said DVD ripping would be as fast as downloading from
    > tape to PC via
    > firewire, but this surely isn't right.
    >
    > Does anybody know how to get realistic file sizes and rip
    > times with this
    > software or one as simple?
    >
    > My friend downloaded a 45 min episode of Prison Break as an
    > AVI file and the
    > file size is only 340MB and the quality is great. How can
    > this be so?
    >
    > Is AVI better than WMV?
    >
    > I tried the AVI xVid method, but Windows Media Player on
    > machines that
    > didn't have this codec couldn't play it!
    >
    > All I want is a very good video/audio quality file with a
    > manageable file
    > size like the Prison Break file - am I asking too much?
    >
    > Thanks for listening to my rant. Any help would be very much
    > appreciated.

    I've never tried NO1 Ripper. You will speed things up by:

    a - Ripping the DVD in it's existing format to HDD other than C:
    (this can be done by drag & drop from your DVDs). This will
    take merely a few minutes.

    b - Convert to AVI or WMV from the HDD holding the DVD copy to
    another non-C: HDD drive.

    Even without multiple hard drives, the processes will be speeded
    somewhat by copying to HDD first.

    Is there some reason you need to change the format from what is
    stored on your DVDs to AVI (whatever encoder you may be using)
    or WMV? There are editors which work with MPEG2 (VOB) files and
    which preserve the encoding. Their results are then easily
    authored and rewritten to DVD. These sorts of processes are
    quite quick compared with altering the encoding.

    Bill's News, Feb 13, 2007

  3. Laphan

    Laphan Guest

    Hi Bill

    Just want to get it in Windows MovieMaker, as this is the program we have
    all agreed to use.

    We're teachers you see and we're all a bit thick when it comes to IT :0)

    Rgds

    "Bill's News" <> wrote in message

    Laphan, Feb 13, 2007
  4. Laphan

    Cathy Guest

    http://labs.divx.com/DrDivX

    Cathy, Feb 22, 2007
  5. Laphan

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "Laphan" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All
    >
    > I've searched and searched and I can't find a decent DVD to AVI / WMV
    > ripper
    > anywhere, especially a freeware one!
    >
    > I've gone and got us a camcorder that records to DVD-R / DVD-RW and hasn't
    > got any cable outputs on it. Its a Canon DC100 and Canon have told me
    > that
    > I need ripping software to get the data off so that I can mess around with
    > it in say MovieMaker and ultimately get it back on DVD.
    >
    > I really like the simplicity of No1 DVD Ripper, ie select DVD, select
    > format
    > (AVI, WMV, etc) and rip, but on my P4 3Ghz, 512MB, 250GB WinXP Pro SP2 PC
    > it
    > took over 5 hours to rip a 1 hour 4 min DVD (home made one so no
    > protection)
    > to AVI and the file size was 2.5GB !
    >
    > Tried WMV and although the file size went down to 500MB it still took 4
    > hours!
    >
    > Canon said DVD ripping would be as fast as downloading from tape to PC via
    > firewire, but this surely isn't right.
    >
    > Does anybody know how to get realistic file sizes and rip times with this
    > software or one as simple?
    >
    > My friend downloaded a 45 min episode of Prison Break as an AVI file and
    > the
    > file size is only 340MB and the quality is great. How can this be so?
    >
    > Is AVI better than WMV?
    >
    > I tried the AVI xVid method, but Windows Media Player on machines that
    > didn't have this codec couldn't play it!
    >
    > All I want is a very good video/audio quality file with a manageable file
    > size like the Prison Break file - am I asking too much?
    >
    > Thanks for listening to my rant. Any help would be very much appreciated.

    You might want to check out the new Magix "Movie Edit Pro 12"
    it claims special features to extract "Videos from DVD camcorders".
    http://site.magix.net/english-us/home/video/movie-edit-pro-12/

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Feb 23, 2007
  6. Laphan

    GM Guest

    > You might want to check out the new Magix "Movie Edit Pro 12"
    > it claims special features to extract "Videos from DVD camcorders".
    > http://site.magix.net/english-us/home/video/movie-edit-pro-12/

    Drat, I just purchased version 11 at Christmas. I went on the site and did
    not see an upgrade path from 11. Does anyone know if this is offered or do
    I need to spend some bucks again. The features quoted would assist me.
    Durn it
    TIA
    GM

    GM, Mar 3, 2007
  7. Laphan

    Buchetamo Guest

    "GM" <> wrote in message

    >> You might want to check out the new Magix "Movie Edit Pro 12"
    >> it claims special features to extract "Videos from DVD camcorders".
    >> http://site.magix.net/english-us/home/video/movie-edit-pro-12/

    > Drat, I just purchased version 11 at Christmas. I went on the site and did
    > not see an upgrade path from 11. Does anyone know if this is offered or
    > do I need to spend some bucks again. The features quoted would assist me.
    > Durn it
    > TIA
    > GM

    I think you are referring to a suggestion made by Ken Maltby before, since
    I'm an inveterate follower of Ken's advice on the this newsgroup, I
    immediately placed an order for a copy of Movie Edit Pro 12 & bought it at a
    discount price $49.99 ($10 off the normal price) but it hasn't arrived
    yet... Your experience does not surprise me, since the launching & the
    special price only covered USA & Canada, before I placed my order I went to
    Google & tried several times to find information as to whether both formats
    PAL & NTSC were included in the software & only ONE single website had
    anything to say about the new version 12, like if nobody knew about it. At
    any rate I took the risk & ordered it...

    Buchetamo, Mar 3, 2007