  1. This DVD has the text commentary so that it's formatted in a rectangle
    and it overlaps into the image. I hate that, are there other DVDs with
    text commentaries like that?

    Richard Fangnail, Mar 18, 2005

  2. Richard Fangnail

    Biz Guest

    You sure you dont have CC turned on on your tv? I've yet to see ANY dvd
    that had subtitles of any kind that showed up in a box. In fact, I have yet
    to see any substantial subtitles overlay on the picture for any widescreen
    release, its always in the border area.

    Biz, Mar 18, 2005

  3. Richard Fangnail

    Stan Jensen Guest

    On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 21:43:43 GMT, "Biz" <> wrote:

    >You sure you dont have CC turned on on your tv? I've yet to see ANY dvd
    >that had subtitles of any kind that showed up in a box. In fact, I have yet
    >to see any substantial subtitles overlay on the picture for any widescreen
    >release, its always in the border area.

    He's not talking about subtitles. This is something completely
    different. He's talking the text commentary that goes along with the
    film.

    And yes, it shows up in a box over some of the scene.

    Stan Jensen, Mar 18, 2005
  4. Richard Fangnail

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    "Richard Fangnail" <> wrote:

    > This DVD has the text commentary so that it's formatted in a rectangle
    > and it overlaps into the image. I hate that, are there other DVDs with
    > text commentaries like that?

    Well, the "Ozzy Translators" on The Osbournes DVDs do something similar.
    Big, bright words in random colors and fonts pop up all over the screen
    any time Ozzy speaks. It's rather quite annoying. Better just to leave
    it off and take wild guesses as to what Ozzy is mumbling on about...

    Black Locust, Mar 19, 2005
  5. "Black Locust" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > "Richard Fangnail" <> wrote:
    >

    > Well, the "Ozzy Translators" on The Osbournes DVDs do something similar.
    > Big, bright words in random colors and fonts pop up all over the screen
    > any time Ozzy speaks. It's rather quite annoying. Better just to leave
    > it off and take wild guesses as to what Ozzy is mumbling on about...

    Ozzy Osbourne is "rather quite annoying" himself.

    -Warren

    Warren Schmidt, Mar 19, 2005
  6. Richard Fangnail

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <%sX_d.15418$>,
    "Warren Schmidt" <> wrote:

    > Ozzy Osbourne is "rather quite annoying" himself.

    That's all part of his enigmatic charm my friend.

    Black Locust, Mar 20, 2005
  7. Richard Fangnail

    RobMac Guest

    > This DVD has the text commentary so that it's formatted in a rectangle
    > and it overlaps into the image. I hate that, are there other DVDs with
    > text commentaries like that?

    Quite a few actually, but my guess is that the makers of the "on screen
    commentary" (or "fact track") have assumed (in at least my case, correctly)
    that you've already seen the film you are watching the "commentary" on....so
    don't always need to see every inch of the picture of every frame.

    Spider-Man, for example, has one that has webbing all over it, Men In Black
    has a telestrator.....and Ghostbusters (at least for the non-16:9 crowd) has
    an MST3K-like commentary! Fargo-SE takes up quite a bit of space
    also.....there's so much info to convey in those "fact tracks" that it's
    damn near impossible for the words NOT to cover at least some part of the
    screen, especially for 1.78:1 titles where there is NO black bar on 16:9
    sets.....

    I don't see the problem here....if you haven't yet seen the movie and the
    "fact tracks" are taking up part of the screen and you can't see the mailbox
    in the corner or the borg vanity mirror in Engineering, then watch the movie
    first and then watch the commentary, that way the vanity mirror you can no
    longer see becomes less important to the plot.

    RobMac, Mar 20, 2005