DVD stores in LA-- suggestions??

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by G. M. Watson, Sep 18, 2005.

  1. G. M. Watson

    G. M. Watson Guest

    OK, the significant other and I are heading to Los Angeles in a couple of
    weeks for our first visit in 13(!) years (used to go there quite often back
    in the 80s, before the Canuck buck collapsed)--- so I have a request for any
    SoCal film nuts out there: I need recommendations for LA-area DVD stores
    with good-to-excellent selections of foreign, silent, classic, and musical
    documentary films, or just obscure stuff in general. Sales, not rental. So
    far I know of Vidiots and Cinefile, both in Santa Monica; I'm not impressed
    with their Web sites, but they certainly appear to be worth a visit anyway.
    But there must be others as well.
    I remember, back in the day, Videotheque in Beverly Hills used to be pretty
    good (but it appears to be long gone), and Eddie Brandt's still seems to be
    primarily rental, not sales. If you need a point of reference, Scarecrow
    Video in Seattle is as good a vid-store as I've ever been in.

    So have at it, anyone. I need suggestions and I need them soon.

    On an OT note, suggestions of good CD stores would also be welcome
    (especially ones with good selections of world music). Is Aron's still
    around?

    One more question: Who's got the best prices on Criterion DVDs in the LA
    area?

    Thanx
    GMW

    G. M. Watson, Sep 18, 2005

  2. "G. M. Watson" <> wrote in message

    > ...I need recommendations for LA-area DVD stores with good-to-excellent
    > selections of foreign, silent, classic, and musical documentary films, or
    > just obscure stuff in general. Sales, not rental.

    When in Los Angeles, the very best selection of new and used DVDs and CDs
    can be found at:

    Amoeba Music
    6400 Sunset Blvd.
    Hollywood, CA
    323 245-6400

    Go to the Amoeba website and take the tour of the Hollywood store.

    It just doesn't get any better than this.

    http://www.amoebamusic.com/html/modules.php?name=Amoeba_Home&op=home

    One-Shot Scot, Sep 18, 2005

  3. G. M. Watson wrote:
    > OK, the significant other and I are heading to Los Angeles in a couple of
    > weeks for our first visit in 13(!) years (used to go there quite often back
    > in the 80s, before the Canuck buck collapsed)---

    Have a good trip. I hope you find time to visit Larry Edmunds bookstore
    on Hollywood Bvd. No DVD's as far as I know but a fantastic stock of
    movie memorabelia and books. I spent many a happy hour browsing there
    way back when.
    It's still there :- http://www.larryedmunds.com/

    Dave in Toronto

    Dave in Toronto, Sep 18, 2005
  4. G. M. Watson

    FredT Guest

    Others have already mentioned Amoeba Music (right next to the famous
    Cinerama Dome on Sunset Blvd.), but there's also a great DVD-only store on
    Pico Blvd. (which is a few miles southwest of Amoeba in West Los Angeles).
    It's called Laser Blazer. Here's their web site:
    http://www.laserblazer.com/ They've got pretty much everything and the
    prices are pretty good (at least 25% off all new releases, and I think
    almost everything is at least discounted to some degree). They also have
    employees who have some film knowledge, so if you ask about Buster Keaton
    they don't think "Buster" is Micheael Keaton's nickname, and that "Two Mules
    For Sister Sara" isn't a bizzare fetish porno.

    Here's where Amoeba and Laser Blazer are on the map, along with directions.
    Amoeba is the green "start" marker.
    http://tinyurl.com/dlxkx

    Fred

    FredT, Sep 18, 2005
  5. G. M. Watson

    Guest

    G. M. Watson wrote:
    > OK, the significant other and I are heading to Los Angeles in a couple of
    > weeks for our first visit in 13(!) years (used to go there quite often back
    > in the 80s, before the Canuck buck collapsed)--- so I have a request for any
    > SoCal film nuts out there: I need recommendations for LA-area DVD stores
    > with good-to-excellent selections of foreign, silent, classic, and musical
    > documentary films, or just obscure stuff in general. Sales, not rental.
    >
    > Thanx
    > GMW

    Hi GMW: You can search the world over, but you won't find a store with
    a greater stock of classic films -- foreign, silent, musical, you name
    it -- than Eddie Brandt's.

    EB's (I believe the complete title is Eddie Brandt's Saturday Matinee)
    is a friendly, family-owned store at:

    5006 Vineland Ave
    North Hollywood, CA 91606
    Main Phone: 818-506-4242
    Fax: 818-506-5649

    Happy browsing!

    Dan N.

    http://www.silentfilmguide.com

    , Sep 18, 2005
  6. On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 01:15:03 -0800, "G. M. Watson"
    <> wrote:

    >OK, the significant other and I are heading to Los Angeles in a couple of
    >weeks for our first visit in 13(!) years (used to go there quite often back
    >in the 80s, before the Canuck buck collapsed)--- so I have a request for any
    >SoCal film nuts out there: I need recommendations for LA-area DVD stores
    >with good-to-excellent selections of foreign, silent, classic, and musical
    >documentary films, or just obscure stuff in general. Sales, not rental. So
    >far I know of Vidiots and Cinefile, both in Santa Monica; I'm not impressed
    >with their Web sites, but they certainly appear to be worth a visit anyway.
    >But there must be others as well.
    >I remember, back in the day, Videotheque in Beverly Hills used to be pretty
    >good (but it appears to be long gone), and Eddie Brandt's still seems to be
    >primarily rental, not sales. If you need a point of reference, Scarecrow
    >Video in Seattle is as good a vid-store as I've ever been in.
    >
    >So have at it, anyone. I need suggestions and I need them soon.
    >
    >On an OT note, suggestions of good CD stores would also be welcome
    >(especially ones with good selections of world music). Is Aron's still
    >around?
    >
    >One more question: Who's got the best prices on Criterion DVDs in the LA
    >area?
    >
    >Thanx
    >GMW

    Ken Crane's

    15380 Beach Blvd. Westminster CA 92683 714-890-0910
    8550 Beach Blvd. Buena Park CA 90620 714-826-6920
    7611 E. Carson St. Long Beach CA 90822 562-627-5909
    23030 Hawthorne Blvd. Torrance CA 90509 310-378-8368
    4860 West 147th Street Hawthorne CA 90250 310-676-0111
    3730 Foothill Blvd. Pasadena CA 91107 626-568-3300
    11026 West Pico West Los Angeles CA 90064 310-474-8008
    15960 Ventura Blvd. Encino CA 91436 818-995-4500

    Fred C. Dobbs, Sep 18, 2005
  7. G. M. Watson

    FredT Guest

    > Ken Crane's
    >
    > 15380 Beach Blvd. Westminster CA 92683 714-890-0910
    > 8550 Beach Blvd. Buena Park CA 90620 714-826-6920
    > 7611 E. Carson St. Long Beach CA 90822 562-627-5909
    > 23030 Hawthorne Blvd. Torrance CA 90509 310-378-8368
    > 4860 West 147th Street Hawthorne CA 90250 310-676-0111
    > 3730 Foothill Blvd. Pasadena CA 91107 626-568-3300
    > 11026 West Pico West Los Angeles CA 90064 310-474-8008
    > 15960 Ventura Blvd. Encino CA 91436 818-995-4500

    But how many of those have DVD's? None of the ones I've been to do. I
    know there was *one* though but it's the one farthest from LA, actually.

    FredT, Sep 18, 2005
  8. G. M. Watson

    John A. Guest

    On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 15:18:19 -0700, "FredT" <>
    wrote:

    >> Ken Crane's
    >>
    >> 15380 Beach Blvd. Westminster CA 92683 714-890-0910
    >> 8550 Beach Blvd. Buena Park CA 90620 714-826-6920
    >> 7611 E. Carson St. Long Beach CA 90822 562-627-5909
    >> 23030 Hawthorne Blvd. Torrance CA 90509 310-378-8368
    >> 4860 West 147th Street Hawthorne CA 90250 310-676-0111
    >> 3730 Foothill Blvd. Pasadena CA 91107 626-568-3300
    >> 11026 West Pico West Los Angeles CA 90064 310-474-8008
    >> 15960 Ventura Blvd. Encino CA 91436 818-995-4500

    >But how many of those have DVD's? None of the ones I've been to do. I
    >know there was *one* though but it's the one farthest from LA, actually.

    No, for DVDs, what you want is DVD Planet.

    Orange County
    16672 Beach Blvd. Suite L
    Huntington Beach, CA 92647
    1-714-847-4007

    Inland Empire
    Terra Vista Town Center
    10828 Foothill Blvd. Suite 100
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
    1-909-941-7478

    John A., Sep 19, 2005
  9. G. M. Watson

    TB Guest

    "FredT" wrote:

    >> Ken Crane's
    >>
    >> 15380 Beach Blvd. Westminster CA 92683 714-890-0910
    >> 8550 Beach Blvd. Buena Park CA 90620 714-826-6920
    >> 7611 E. Carson St. Long Beach CA 90822 562-627-5909
    >> 23030 Hawthorne Blvd. Torrance CA 90509 310-378-8368
    >> 4860 West 147th Street Hawthorne CA 90250 310-676-0111
    >> 3730 Foothill Blvd. Pasadena CA 91107 626-568-3300
    >> 11026 West Pico West Los Angeles CA 90064 310-474-8008
    >> 15960 Ventura Blvd. Encino CA 91436 818-995-4500

    > But how many of those have DVD's? None of the ones I've been to do. I
    > know there was *one* though but it's the one farthest from LA, actually.

    Ken Cranes hasn't carried dvds or laserdiscs for that matter in years.
    They're strictly a home theater electronics chain now. DVD Planet (which
    used to be owned by Ken Cranes up until around '99 and actually started as a
    small store in the Westminster Mall in the early 80's selling laserdiscs)
    carries a lot of dvds and has a susbstantial Criterion selection at around
    30% off retail.

    I actually bought my first laserdisc, the 1st pressing of the Criterion King
    Kong silver numbered box set at the Westminster store around 1985.

    T.B.

    TB, Sep 19, 2005
  10. G. M. Watson

    TB Guest

    "G. M. Watson" wrote:

    > OK, the significant other and I are heading to Los Angeles in a couple of
    > weeks for our first visit in 13(!) years (used to go there quite often
    > back
    > in the 80s, before the Canuck buck collapsed)--- so I have a request for
    > any
    > SoCal film nuts out there: I need recommendations for LA-area DVD stores
    > with good-to-excellent selections of foreign, silent, classic, and musical
    > documentary films, or just obscure stuff in general. Sales, not rental.

    (snip)

    I too can recommend Amoeba Records on Sunset however I will add that their
    prices can be list or even above list on new titles. Also, their used
    sections pretty much require you to go through every single title as while
    it's supposed to be alphabetized, I always have found titles missplaced.
    They get a few truly rare dvds once in a while used, but they really price
    'em high such as a while back they had a Criterion "Salo" going for $500.00
    and it looked pretty beat up.

    One other plus, they are one of the only retail outlets I know of in the
    Southern CA area that stock a decent amount of dvds from other regions
    (mostly the UK, very few from Japan) including a fair amount of PAL dvds as
    well.

    T.B.

    TB, Sep 19, 2005
  11. G. M. Watson

    Default_User Guest

    Anybody that want to watch or is stupid enough to pay $500 for a DVD about
    faggots forcing teen boys to eat excrement ought to be ground up into dog
    food. Any store that would carry filth like that ought to be run out of
    business.

    Default_User, Sep 19, 2005
  12. G. M. Watson

    G. M. Watson Guest

    ----------
    In article <>, "Dave in
    Toronto" <> wrote:

    > G. M. Watson wrote:
    >> OK, the significant other and I are heading to Los Angeles in a couple of
    >> weeks for our first visit in 13(!) years (used to go there quite often back
    >> in the 80s, before the Canuck buck collapsed)---

    > Have a good trip. I hope you find time to visit Larry Edmunds bookstore
    > on Hollywood Bvd. No DVD's as far as I know but a fantastic stock of
    > movie memorabelia and books. I spent many a happy hour browsing there
    > way back when.
    > It's still there :- http://www.larryedmunds.com/
    >
    > Dave in Toronto

    I visited Larry Edmunds a number of times back in the 80s, and you're right,
    it really was/is an extraordinary place-- so much so that I found it rather
    intimidating (especially their vast selection of film stills). I'm pleased
    that they're still around, although given their "institution" status, I
    guess I shouldn't be surprised. I will try to stop by again.
    Did you ever go to Collector's Books, which was originally on Sunset and
    later moved to Vine Street, just above Hollywood Blvd.? Besides being
    another great source for books, stills, and posters, they also used to hold
    a fantastic monthly phone-in auction of pop-culture & movie memorabilia--
    and I still regret not buying one of the authentic-looking Maltese Falcon
    reproductions they used to stock. Them were the days...
    GMW

    G. M. Watson, Sep 19, 2005
  13. G. M. Watson

    G. M. Watson Guest

    ----------
    In article <>,
    "" <> wrote:

    > G. M. Watson wrote:
    >> OK, the significant other and I are heading to Los Angeles in a couple of
    >> weeks for our first visit in 13(!) years (used to go there quite often back
    >> in the 80s, before the Canuck buck collapsed)--- so I have a request for any
    >> SoCal film nuts out there: I need recommendations for LA-area DVD stores
    >> with good-to-excellent selections of foreign, silent, classic, and musical
    >> documentary films, or just obscure stuff in general. Sales, not rental.
    >>
    >> Thanx
    >> GMW

    > Hi GMW: You can search the world over, but you won't find a store with
    > a greater stock of classic films -- foreign, silent, musical, you name
    > it -- than Eddie Brandt's.

    Been to Eddie Brandt's a few times-- tho obviously not for many years-- and
    they really are/were the video store of one's dreams; probably even better
    than Scarecrow in Seattle (my current gold standard for video stores). I
    found a few VHS titles at EB's I've never seen before or since.
    Unfortunately most of their stock was rental-only back in those days. Have
    they moved more into retail in recent years?
    GMW

    G. M. Watson, Sep 19, 2005
  14. G. M. Watson

    G. M. Watson Guest

    ----------
    In article <aMoXe.12690$>, "Default_User"
    <> wrote:

    > Anybody that want to watch or is stupid enough to pay $500 for a DVD about
    > faggots forcing teen boys to eat excrement ought to be ground up into dog
    > food. Any store that would carry filth like that ought to be run out of
    > business.

    Based on your comments, I'll make a point of ensuring that Amoeba is my
    first stop in LA. Dickhead.

    G. M. Watson, Sep 19, 2005
  15. Yes, they have an entire section of Region 2 PAL DVD's. These are
    mostly BBC shows and music videos, very few recent features but no
    classic movies, comedies or silents. Would like to see them stock the
    Laurel and Hardy UK disks.

    Mister Levity

    Mister Levity, Sep 19, 2005
  16. G. M. Watson

    bpnjensen Guest

    >Anybody that want to watch or is stupid enough to pay $500 for a DVD about
    faggots forcing teen boys to eat excrement ought to be ground up into
    dog
    food. Any store that would carry filth like that ought to be run out of

    business.<

    Nazi.

    Bruce Jensen

    bpnjensen, Sep 19, 2005
  17. G. M. Watson

    Frederica Guest

    "G. M. Watson" <> wrote in message
    > Been to Eddie Brandt's a few times-- tho obviously not for many years--

    and
    > they really are/were the video store of one's dreams; probably even better
    > than Scarecrow in Seattle (my current gold standard for video stores). I
    > found a few VHS titles at EB's I've never seen before or since.
    > Unfortunately most of their stock was rental-only back in those days. Have
    > they moved more into retail in recent years?
    > GMW

    Is Scarecrow still there? I spent many an hour at Scarecrow.

    Frederica

    Frederica, Sep 19, 2005
  18. G. M. Watson

    Alpha Guest

    "One-Shot Scot" <> wrote in message
    > "G. M. Watson" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> ...I need recommendations for LA-area DVD stores with good-to-excellent
    >> selections of foreign, silent, classic, and musical documentary films, or
    >> just obscure stuff in general. Sales, not rental.

    > When in Los Angeles, the very best selection of new and used DVDs and CDs
    > can be found at:
    >
    > Amoeba Music
    > 6400 Sunset Blvd.
    > Hollywood, CA
    > 323 245-6400
    >
    > Go to the Amoeba website and take the tour of the Hollywood store.
    >
    > It just doesn't get any better than this.
    >
    > http://www.amoebamusic.com/html/modules.php?name=Amoeba_Home&op=home

    It surely does not get any worse than a broken link.

    Alpha, Sep 22, 2005
  19. Darrel Christenson, Sep 22, 2005
  20. Eddie Brandts moved to 5006 Vineland in North Hollywood. Was just there
    today and found a VHS of Olson and Johnson's HELLZAPOPPIN. Few months
    ago I asked for some specific titles I was looking for and they scoured
    their warehouse (their old building on Colfax) and came back with a
    stash of stuff I was interested in. So, maybe if you call ahead and
    tell them you're visiting and have a list of movie titles, you never
    know what they got.

    Keep in mind Brandt's is only open 1-5 Tuesday-Fridays and 9:am to 5:pm
    Saturday.

    You'll like Amoeba very much too. New and used DVD's, VHS and
    laserdisc's are all on the second floor. Am sure you and your friend
    will enjoy the place.

    MIster Levity

    Mister Levity, Sep 22, 2005