    DVDs seems quite expensive for the quality of materials they use (particle
    board) and seem only to cost that much because they are priced towards
    people that can afford 700+ DVD collections. Any suggestions?
    EvilN8, Jul 9, 2004

  2. EvilN8

    Nosferax Guest

    On 2004-07-08 20:48:50 -0400, "EvilN8" <> said:

    > Just curious what everyone out there is storing their collections in? I
    > have seen some pretty large collections, but haven't really heard much in
    > the lines of storage solutions. I have about 230 movies right now, and I'm
    > so far out of space that my collection is now stacked on top of the DVD
    > racks to the ceiling.. Everything I've found that holds a large ammount of
    > DVDs seems quite expensive for the quality of materials they use (particle
    > board) and seem only to cost that much because they are priced towards
    > people that can afford 700+ DVD collections. Any suggestions?

    You can by cheap plastic (abs) dvd tower rack for about $20.00 Cdn.
    Each hold 50 DVD.
    You can also buy some vhs library. Most of the time the shelves can be ajusted.

    So many movie, so little time...

    Nosferax (Alain Menard)
    Montreal, Quebec
    Canada
    Nosferax, Jul 9, 2004

  3. EvilN8 wrote:

    > Just curious what everyone out there is storing their collections in? I
    > have seen some pretty large collections, but haven't really heard much in
    > the lines of storage solutions. I have about 230 movies right now, and I'm
    > so far out of space that my collection is now stacked on top of the DVD
    > racks to the ceiling.. Everything I've found that holds a large ammount of
    > DVDs seems quite expensive for the quality of materials they use (particle
    > board) and seem only to cost that much because they are priced towards
    > people that can afford 700+ DVD collections. Any suggestions?

    For dvds I store in standard cases I'm using the white
    6' bookcases from Home Depot, with a little skill with
    a drill and some shelf pegs and an extra white laminated
    board cute into 2 pieces I can add 2 shelves for a total
    of 8 which holds about 400 dvds total.

    For the plethora of tv shows I've archived from tape or
    traded for, I use the Case Logic sheets that hold 8 per
    sheet (4 on each side) lined with soft cotton and said
    sheets in 2" notebooks so I get to store the equivalent
    of several years of multiple shows in the space the
    notbook take up on a shelf.

    Questions?, write me direct. :D

    Darrel :)
    Darrel Christenson, Jul 9, 2004
  4. EvilN8

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    EvilN8 wrote:

    > Just curious what everyone out there is storing their collections in? I
    > have seen some pretty large collections, but haven't really heard much in
    > the lines of storage solutions. I have about 230 movies right now, and I'm
    > so far out of space that my collection is now stacked on top of the DVD
    > racks to the ceiling.. Everything I've found that holds a large ammount of
    > DVDs seems quite expensive for the quality of materials they use (particle
    > board) and seem only to cost that much because they are priced towards
    > people that can afford 700+ DVD collections. Any suggestions?

    I have several kinds of storage. Last black Friday I bought several
    Fellowes cases from Best Buy. They had a sticker price of 29.99 (at
    bestbuy) but had a 20 dollar rebate. I went to the www.fellowes.com
    site but it took too long to load so I can't give you a link to the
    particular shelf. It's particle board in OAK with black open shelves
    with wire ends to keep the disks from falling. It has 10 shelves (5
    pairs of two around a central tee. Each shelf holds about 15 single
    DVDs. So for 30 sticker you can store 150 disks. My daughter picked up
    a completely different kind of shelf at Media play for about 10 or 15 at
    Christmas last year. There are lots of inexpensive shelf systems that
    can more or less pass the wife test. And if you want to spend 100 to
    200 you can buy shelf systems that would fit almost any decor.

    dick
    Dick Sidbury, Jul 9, 2004
  5. EvilN8

    Impmon Guest

    On 9 Jul 2004 00:48:50 GMT, "EvilN8" <>
    wrote:

    >Just curious what everyone out there is storing their collections in? I
    >have seen some pretty large collections, but haven't really heard much in
    >the lines of storage solutions. I have about 230 movies right now, and I'm
    >so far out of space that my collection is now stacked on top of the DVD
    >racks to the ceiling.. Everything I've found that holds a large ammount of
    >DVDs seems quite expensive for the quality of materials they use (particle
    >board) and seem only to cost that much because they are priced towards
    >people that can afford 700+ DVD collections. Any suggestions?

    Try a closeout store like Big Lots. I saw a nice looking adjustable
    shelf that could probably hold around 500 DVDs and they are priced
    below $40.

    Or you could try a cheap metal utility shelf, they are like $10 or
    $15. For the side, you could cut up boxes and tape a strip on each
    shelf on the side so the DVD doesn't fall out.
    --
    To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net
    Impmon, Jul 9, 2004
  6. EvilN8

    FAQmeister Guest

    "EvilN8" <> wrote in message
    > Just curious what everyone out there is storing their collections in?
    > I have seen some pretty large collections, but haven't really heard
    > much in the lines of storage solutions. I have about 230 movies
    > right now, and I'm so far out of space that my collection is now
    > stacked on top of the DVD racks to the ceiling.. Everything I've
    > found that holds a large ammount of DVDs seems quite expensive for
    > the quality of materials they use (particle board) and seem only to
    > cost that much because they are priced towards people that can afford
    > 700+ DVD collections. Any suggestions?

    I built my own shelves out of 6' X 6" X1" "select" pine.
    $10 each at Home Depot. That's a little steep but the wood is beautiful.
    Regular pine is about $4 each.

    First I cut the boards down to 5' lengths and the remaining 12" cut
    pieces to 8", pre-drilled the holes and fastened with 1 1/2" screws. I
    attached another 8" piece for a center support in each shelf. Stained
    the shelves and attached them together and then to the wall, and "volia"
    expandable media storage, with each shelf holding about 50 DVD's.
    --
    Buford T. Justice
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    FAQmeister, Jul 9, 2004
  7. EvilN8

    Stan Brown Guest

    "EvilN8" <> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >Just curious what everyone out there is storing their collections in

    We just had this conversation. Take a look at

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=MPG.1b5230d9a3ec047898c6ab@news
    ..odyssey.net

    and then click on "Complete Thread" for the comments everyone was
    kind enough to make when I asked the question a week ago.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Stan Brown, Jul 9, 2004
  8. EvilN8

    fredman Guest

    wrote:

    >Just curious what everyone out there is storing their collections in? I
    >have seen some pretty large collections, but haven't really heard much in
    >the lines of storage solutions. I have about 230 movies right now, and I'm
    >so far out of space that my collection is now stacked on top of the DVD
    >racks to the ceiling.. Everything I've found that holds a large ammount of
    >DVDs seems quite expensive for the quality of materials they use (particle
    >board) and seem only to cost that much because they are priced towards
    >people that can afford 700+ DVD collections. Any suggestions?

    I've settled on a generic case I've found at BB (now $49.95, but
    initially I got 'em for $29.95). They are black, adjustable 5 to 8
    shelves with a back wire railing to hold either CDs or DVDs. Each
    entire rack holds about 200 DVDs ( 5 shelves X ~40 DVDs). Very simple
    and reasonably cheap. Caution: assembly required.
    regards,

    =======
    fredman
    =======
    fredman, Jul 9, 2004
  9. EvilN8

    EvilN8 Guest

    "Stan Brown" <> wrote in message
    > "EvilN8" <> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > >Just curious what everyone out there is storing their collections in

    > We just had this conversation. Take a look at

    Must have missed it.. I read this thing reguarly.. at least I'm getting a
    large variety of viable options. I'm looking for something that can hold
    about 750-1000 DVDs so I have room to expand. I've purchase about 100 DVDs
    in the last 3 months, so I know the collection is going to explode soon..
    EvilN8, Jul 9, 2004
  10. EvilN8

    EvilN8 Guest

    "fredman" <> wrote in message
    > On 9 Jul 2004 00:48:50 GMT, "EvilN8" <>
    > wrote:
    > I've settled on a generic case I've found at BB (now $49.95, but
    > initially I got 'em for $29.95). They are black, adjustable 5 to 8
    > shelves with a back wire railing to hold either CDs or DVDs. Each
    > entire rack holds about 200 DVDs ( 5 shelves X ~40 DVDs). Very simple
    > and reasonably cheap. Caution: assembly required.
    > regards,

    I actually use these same racks for my CDs, and I like 'em quite a bit for
    my CD collection, but I didn't like how they displayed the DVDs. Didn't
    like how they held box sets..
    EvilN8, Jul 9, 2004
  11. EvilN8

    DigitalDeude Guest

    www.boltz.com Multimedia racks, none finer!
    DigitalDeude, Jul 9, 2004
  12. EvilN8

    karlpov Guest

    wrote:

    >Just curious what everyone out there is storing their collections in? I
    >have seen some pretty large collections, but haven't really heard much in
    >the lines of storage solutions. I have about 230 movies right now, and I'm
    >so far out of space that my collection is now stacked on top of the DVD
    >racks to the ceiling.. Everything I've found that holds a large ammount of
    >DVDs seems quite expensive for the quality of materials they use (particle
    >board) and seem only to cost that much because they are priced towards
    >people that can afford 700+ DVD collections. Any suggestions?

    Harvest the covers and printed inserts and put them away, then
    transfer the discs to CD/DVD double sleeves with non-woven material in
    the middle. If you can find sleeves with tabs, all the better,
    especially for the two-sided discs where the name is hard to read.
    (There are various cases which can't be broken down like that, but
    it's still a good idea to put the dvds into sleeves, just to avoid the
    violence of getting the discs off some of the hubs. Also you can carry
    around several box sets in a small disc case.)
    karlpov, Jul 9, 2004
  13. EvilN8

    Mark Spatny Guest

    EvilN8, says...
    > Just curious what everyone out there is storing their collections in?

    Book Shelves
    Mark Spatny, Jul 9, 2004
  14. EvilN8

    FAQmeister Guest

    "FAQmeister" <> wrote in message
    > "EvilN8" <> wrote in message
    >> Just curious what everyone out there is storing their collections in?
    >> I have seen some pretty large collections, but haven't really heard
    >> much in the lines of storage solutions. I have about 230 movies
    >> right now, and I'm so far out of space that my collection is now
    >> stacked on top of the DVD racks to the ceiling.. Everything I've
    >> found that holds a large ammount of DVDs seems quite expensive for
    >> the quality of materials they use (particle board) and seem only to
    >> cost that much because they are priced towards people that can afford
    >> 700+ DVD collections. Any suggestions?

    > I built my own shelves out of 6' X 6" X1" "select" pine.
    > $10 each at Home Depot. That's a little steep but the wood is
    > beautiful. Regular pine is about $4 each.
    >
    > First I cut the boards down to 5' lengths and the remaining 12" cut
    > pieces to 8", pre-drilled the holes and fastened with 1 1/2" screws. I
    > attached another 8" piece for a center support in each shelf. Stained
    > the shelves and attached them together and then to the wall, and
    > "volia" expandable media storage, with each shelf holding about 50
    > DVD's.

    Correction: Each shelf holds about 100 DVD's. Not bad for about $20 each
    per 100 DVDs for a nice wood storage unit.
    FAQmeister, Jul 9, 2004
  15. EvilN8

    awknod Guest

    If your DVD`s are in the original cases, that takes a lot of space. you can
    get boxes of plastic sleeves that hold 2 dvd`s each, or 1 dvd and the cover
    paper. box of 50 for $2.
    1000 original case dvd`s will take about 7 feet x 8 feet of space.1000
    dvd`s stored in plastic sleeves take about 1 foot x 6 foot.

    awknod, Jul 9, 2004
  16. EvilN8

    Wild Coyote Guest

    wrote:

    >Just curious what everyone out there is storing their collections in? I
    >have seen some pretty large collections, but haven't really heard much in
    >the lines of storage solutions. I have about 230 movies right now, and I'm
    >so far out of space that my collection is now stacked on top of the DVD
    >racks to the ceiling.. Everything I've found that holds a large ammount of
    >DVDs seems quite expensive for the quality of materials they use (particle
    >board) and seem only to cost that much because they are priced towards
    >people that can afford 700+ DVD collections. Any suggestions?

    Ev, I went to Home Depot and got those shelves you hang onto walls.
    You put up the slotted dorfile shelving upright and the dorfile shelf
    brackets fit into the slots. I have 9 rows, 8 feet wide. I am
    running a little over 1900 DVDs and it is full. I will need to add
    another set soon. I ordered bookends from OfficeMax. I think I was
    able to accommodate about 1750 DVDs for between $300 and $400. My
    wife and I call it the wall, of course. I found someone else that has
    a similar wall and they call it the wall.

    I hope this helps.

    --
    The Day PP was speechless, April 20, 2004.

    "This may actually be the strangest idea ever in abp. I think you got
    me, WC--I'm speechless. A guy in a female road runner suit... that's
    just not right."

    Wild Coyote
    wild_coyote<AT>whoppermail.com
    Wild Coyote, Jul 9, 2004
  17. EvilN8

    Marty Troum Guest

    wrote:

    >Just curious what everyone out there is storing their collections in? I
    >have seen some pretty large collections, but haven't really heard much in
    >the lines of storage solutions. I have about 230 movies right now, and I'm
    >so far out of space that my collection is now stacked on top of the DVD
    >racks to the ceiling.. Everything I've found that holds a large ammount of
    >DVDs seems quite expensive for the quality of materials they use (particle
    >board) and seem only to cost that much because they are priced towards
    >people that can afford 700+ DVD collections. Any suggestions?

    I trashed all the plastic cases, kept the paper for a small shoebox
    (can make great wall collages with just the front artwork) and then
    put all my DVDs (over 700) in leather cases by Case Logic (at Best Buy
    for $30 each holding 208 discs). Alternatively, I had put them all in
    two Pioneer Elite carousels holding 300 DVDs each, but that was before
    progressive scan arrived. Now they are all in the sleeves in the Case
    Logic folders.
    Marty T.
    Marty Troum, Jul 9, 2004
  18. "Marty Troum" <> wrote in message

    > I trashed all the plastic cases, kept the paper for a small shoebox
    > (can make great wall collages with just the front artwork) and then
    > put all my DVDs (over 700) in leather cases by Case Logic (at Best Buy
    > for $30 each holding 208 discs). Alternatively, I had put them all in
    > two Pioneer Elite carousels holding 300 DVDs each, but that was before
    > progressive scan arrived. Now they are all in the sleeves in the Case
    > Logic folders.

    I'm looking forward to the time when Hard Disks become so large that you can
    just store all your movies on your PC for direct "jukebox style" access. I
    already keep a selection of my favourite "wav" audio files on my HDD (via
    CDEX), and I keep some of my favourite DVD scenes on my HDD as "VOB" files
    (via DVDSHRINK) but I would like hard disks to be so big that I could just
    put everything there and archive all my original disks in the loft.
    Adrian Boliston, Jul 9, 2004
  19. EvilN8

    luminos Guest

    1900 dvds at 2 hours each makes 3400 hours to watch. That is 425, 8 hour
    days. Do you know Imelda Marcos and her shoes?

    luminos, Jul 9, 2004
  20. EvilN8

    Biz Guest

    "luminos" <> wrote in message
    > 1900 dvds at 2 hours each makes 3400 hours to watch. That is 425, 8 hour
    > days. Do you know Imelda Marcos and her shoes?

    last I checked 1900x2 was 3800....giving you 475 8-hour days.....but who's
    counting
    Biz, Jul 10, 2004