    Just bought a mobile phone and you just about have to have a degree to set
    it up - just want the damned thing to ring!

    Gay
    brazen, Mar 25, 2006

  2. brazen

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 11:18:30 +1200, "brazen" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >I have a dvd player hooked into the telly (via the av channel on the video -
    >no fancy home theatre systems for us!) and have been happily playing dvds
    >till today when the speech track wouldnt play on 2 of them.
    >
    >After having a scratch around I got one to work by altering audio from 5.1
    >channel to 2 channel, but the other dvd is 5.1 only. I can get sound effects
    >(dogs barking) but no-one talking. Much as i like dogs I'm keen on hearing
    >what the humans have to say.
    >
    >Is there a way of playing 5.1 channel dvds on my setup or do I have to hook
    >in an amp?

    Have a look in the menus on your dvd player with your dvd player remote. The
    setup of the dvd player that is, not the dvd movie menu. There is probably a
    setting to mix it down to two channel.
    I reaslise you said you did something similar above, but that may have just been
    switching between multpile audio tracks recorded on that particular disc.
    Craig Shore, Mar 26, 2006

  3. brazen

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 11:18:30 +1200, "brazen"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> I have a dvd player hooked into the telly (via the av channel on the
    >> video - no fancy home theatre systems for us!) and have been happily
    >> playing dvds till today when the speech track wouldnt play on 2 of
    >> them.
    >>
    >> After having a scratch around I got one to work by altering audio
    >> from 5.1 channel to 2 channel, but the other dvd is 5.1 only. I can
    >> get sound effects (dogs barking) but no-one talking. Much as i like
    >> dogs I'm keen on hearing what the humans have to say.
    >>
    >> Is there a way of playing 5.1 channel dvds on my setup or do I have
    >> to hook in an amp?

    > Have a look in the menus on your dvd player with your dvd player
    > remote. The setup of the dvd player that is, not the dvd movie menu.
    > There is probably a setting to mix it down to two channel.
    > I reaslise you said you did something similar above, but that may
    > have just been switching between multpile audio tracks recorded on
    > that particular disc.

    That's why I like the G1913 DVD player from DSE. I've had one for a while
    now and there are only two (minor) things I can fault it on. Rather flimsy
    tray (wouldn't want kids using it) and no power button on remote.

    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/G1913

    On the upside it has a plethora of audio out sockets; Coaxial digital audio,
    Optical digital audio, 5.1 channel analog audio and, the ones I use, two
    "downmix" analog audio. Although there's an extensive set-up menu in
    software I don't need to use it to hook up the sound.

    It also has the benefit of playing XviD and DivX from CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-/+R
    and DVD-/+RW, a USB "drive" or any of several memory card brands.

    For $150 I reckon it's a bargain. However, clearance stock, certain stores
    only.
    --
    ~Shaun~
    ~misfit~, Mar 26, 2006
  4. brazen

    Mark C Guest

    "brazen" <> wrote in

    > I have a dvd player hooked into the telly (via the av channel on
    > the video - no fancy home theatre systems for us!) and have been
    > happily playing dvds till today when the speech track wouldnt
    > play on 2 of them.
    >
    > After having a scratch around I got one to work by altering
    > audio from 5.1 channel to 2 channel, but the other dvd is 5.1
    > only. I can get sound effects (dogs barking) but no-one talking.
    > Much as i like dogs I'm keen on hearing what the humans have to
    > say.
    >
    > Is there a way of playing 5.1 channel dvds on my setup or do I
    > have to hook in an amp?

    See if your DVD player can downmix from 5.1 to stereo.
    The setup menu may have some Audio options that allow selection of
    stereo.
    (IIRC, On my player, you must eject a DVD before the setup menu works
    as expected.)

    HTH,
    Mark
    Mark C, Mar 26, 2006
  5. brazen

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 11:18:30 +1200, brazen wrote:

    > Just bought a mobile phone and you just about have to have a degree to set
    > it up - just want the damned thing to ring!

    Okay so whats the number ;_)
    Gordon, Mar 26, 2006
  6. brazen

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 11:18:30 +1200, brazen wrote:

    > And why is everything so f*cking complicated these days. <grizzle, moan>
    > Just bought a mobile phone and you just about have to have a degree to set
    > it up - just want the damned thing to ring!

    Want to go back to 1906? Shit the horseless carraiage was stomping onto
    the playing field.

    BTW can you programme your VCR?
    Gordon, Mar 26, 2006
  7. brazen

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message news:4425e3e3
    > That's why I like the G1913 DVD player from DSE. I've had one for a while
    > now and there are only two (minor) things I can fault it on. Rather flimsy
    > tray (wouldn't want kids using it) and no power button on remote.
    >
    > http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/G1913
    >
    > On the upside it has a plethora of audio out sockets; Coaxial digital

    audio,
    > Optical digital audio, 5.1 channel analog audio and, the ones I use, two
    > "downmix" analog audio. Although there's an extensive set-up menu in
    > software I don't need to use it to hook up the sound.
    >
    > It also has the benefit of playing XviD and DivX from CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-/+R
    > and DVD-/+RW, a USB "drive" or any of several memory card brands.
    >
    > For $150 I reckon it's a bargain. However, clearance stock, certain stores
    > only.

    I use a Pioneer 383 it handles everything
    Craig Sutton, Mar 26, 2006
  8. brazen

    Philip Guest

    brazen wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I have a dvd player hooked into the telly (via the av channel on the video -
    > no fancy home theatre systems for us!) and have been happily playing dvds
    > till today when the speech track wouldnt play on 2 of them.
    >
    > After having a scratch around I got one to work by altering audio from 5.1
    > channel to 2 channel, but the other dvd is 5.1 only. I can get sound effects
    > (dogs barking) but no-one talking. Much as i like dogs I'm keen on hearing
    > what the humans have to say.
    >
    > Is there a way of playing 5.1 channel dvds on my setup or do I have to hook
    > in an amp?
    >
    > And why is everything so f*cking complicated these days. <grizzle, moan>
    > Just bought a mobile phone and you just about have to have a degree to set
    > it up - just want the damned thing to ring!
    >
    > Gay

    What you need right now is a kid.

    Philip
    Philip, Mar 26, 2006
  9. brazen

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message news:4425e3e3
    >> That's why I like the G1913 DVD player from DSE. I've had one for a
    >> while now and there are only two (minor) things I can fault it on.
    >> Rather flimsy tray (wouldn't want kids using it) and no power button
    >> on remote.
    >>
    >> http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/G1913
    >>
    >> On the upside it has a plethora of audio out sockets; Coaxial
    >> digital audio, Optical digital audio, 5.1 channel analog audio and,
    >> the ones I use, two "downmix" analog audio. Although there's an
    >> extensive set-up menu in software I don't need to use it to hook up
    >> the sound.
    >>
    >> It also has the benefit of playing XviD and DivX from CD-R, CD-RW,
    >> DVD-/+R and DVD-/+RW, a USB "drive" or any of several memory card
    >> brands.
    >>
    >> For $150 I reckon it's a bargain. However, clearance stock, certain
    >> stores only.

    > I use a Pioneer 383 it handles everything

    Mmmm, nice. Cost a bit more than the DSE jobby though huh?
    --
    ~Shaun~
    ~misfit~, Mar 26, 2006
  10. brazen

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Craig Sutton wrote:
    > > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message news:4425e3e3
    > >> That's why I like the G1913 DVD player from DSE. I've had one for a
    > >> while now and there are only two (minor) things I can fault it on.
    > >> Rather flimsy tray (wouldn't want kids using it) and no power button
    > >> on remote.
    > >>
    > >> http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/G1913
    > >>
    > >> On the upside it has a plethora of audio out sockets; Coaxial
    > >> digital audio, Optical digital audio, 5.1 channel analog audio and,
    > >> the ones I use, two "downmix" analog audio. Although there's an
    > >> extensive set-up menu in software I don't need to use it to hook up
    > >> the sound.
    > >>
    > >> It also has the benefit of playing XviD and DivX from CD-R, CD-RW,
    > >> DVD-/+R and DVD-/+RW, a USB "drive" or any of several memory card
    > >> brands.
    > >>
    > >> For $150 I reckon it's a bargain. However, clearance stock, certain
    > >> stores only.

    > > I use a Pioneer 383 it handles everything

    > Mmmm, nice. Cost a bit more than the DSE jobby though huh?
    > --

    Pioneer 383 are only $170 might be less now..
    Craig Sutton, Mar 26, 2006
  11. brazen

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Craig Sutton wrote:

    >>> I use a Pioneer 383 it handles everything

    >> Mmmm, nice. Cost a bit more than the DSE jobby though huh?
    >> --

    > Pioneer 383 are only $170 might be less now..

    Really? And it's a relaible machine? Decodes all versions of DivX and XviD?
    I might have to have a look around, I can always sell the DSE one on Trademe
    if the Pioneer is significantly 'better'.
    --
    ~Shaun~
    ~misfit~, Mar 26, 2006
  12. brazen

    brazen Guest

    "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 11:18:30 +1200, "brazen"
    > <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hi there,
    >>
    >>I have a dvd player hooked into the telly (via the av channel on the
    >>video -
    >>no fancy home theatre systems for us!) and have been happily playing dvds
    >>till today when the speech track wouldnt play on 2 of them.
    >>
    >>After having a scratch around I got one to work by altering audio from 5.1
    >>channel to 2 channel, but the other dvd is 5.1 only. I can get sound
    >>effects
    >>(dogs barking) but no-one talking. Much as i like dogs I'm keen on hearing
    >>what the humans have to say.
    >>
    >>Is there a way of playing 5.1 channel dvds on my setup or do I have to
    >>hook
    >>in an amp?

    > Have a look in the menus on your dvd player with your dvd player remote.
    > The
    > setup of the dvd player that is, not the dvd movie menu. There is
    > probably a
    > setting to mix it down to two channel.

    That was it, thankyou Craig. Works a treat now. I got it second hand, with
    no book, so its been a matter of pressing buttons on the remote with "I
    wonder what this one does"....

    Thanks again.

    Gay
    brazen, Mar 26, 2006
  13. brazen

    brazen Guest

    "Philip" <> wrote in message

    > What you need right now is a kid.

    Ahhh I *knew* there must be a good reason to have one! ;)

    Gay
    brazen, Mar 26, 2006
  14. brazen

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Craig Sutton wrote:
    > > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message

    > >> Mmmm, nice. Cost a bit more than the DSE jobby though huh?
    > >> --

    > > Pioneer 383 are only $170 might be less now..

    > Really? And it's a relaible machine? Decodes all versions of DivX and

    XviD?
    > I might have to have a look around, I can always sell the DSE one on

    Trademe
    > if the Pioneer is significantly 'better'.
    > --

    Have a read of this dvd player software forum..
    http://board.softpedia.com/index.ph...9b9&showtopic=2217&st=480&p=15169&#entry15169
    Craig Sutton, Mar 27, 2006
  15. brazen

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Craig Sutton wrote:
    >>> "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >>> Pioneer 383 are only $170 might be less now..

    >> Really? And it's a relaible machine? Decodes all versions of DivX
    >> and XviD? I might have to have a look around, I can always sell the
    >> DSE one on Trademe if the Pioneer is significantly 'better'.
    >> --

    > Have a read of this dvd player software forum..
    > http://board.softpedia.com/index.ph...9b9&showtopic=2217&st=480&p=15169&#entry15169

    Interesting, thanks. I take it you are happy with yours? What firmware are
    you running and would you be able to send it to me if I *were* to get one?

    I may have a look around the local shops that take Q Card.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~Shaun~
    ~misfit~, Mar 27, 2006
  16. brazen

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Craig Sutton wrote:
    > > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Really? And it's a relaible machine? Decodes all versions of DivX
    > >> and XviD? I might have to have a look around, I can always sell the
    > >> DSE one on Trademe if the Pioneer is significantly 'better'.
    > >> --

    > > Have a read of this dvd player software forum..

    http://board.softpedia.com/index.ph...9b9&showtopic=2217&st=480&p=15169&#entry15169

    > Interesting, thanks. I take it you are happy with yours? What firmware are
    > you running and would you be able to send it to me if I *were* to get one?

    Mine came with version 1.20 pioneer firmware. A version 1.21 is out but if
    it aint broken...
    Craig Sutton, Mar 27, 2006
  17. brazen

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Craig Sutton wrote:
    >>> "~misfit~" <> wrote in message

    >>> Have a read of this dvd player software forum..
    >>>

    > http://board.softpedia.com/index.ph...9b9&showtopic=2217&st=480&p=15169&#entry15169
    >>
    >> Interesting, thanks. I take it you are happy with yours? What
    >> firmware are you running and would you be able to send it to me if I
    >> *were* to get one?
    >>

    > Mine came with version 1.20 pioneer firmware. A version 1.21 is out
    > but if it aint broken...

    Okay, thanks. As you linked to that site with custom firmwares I mistanely
    thought you may have cross-flashed yours.

    I missed an episode of Stargate Atlantis the other week and downloaded it.
    However, the file wouldn't play on my DSE player (even though VideoInspector
    told me it was an XviD file), I had to watch it at the PC. I prefer to watch
    on the TV.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~Shaun~
    ~misfit~, Mar 28, 2006
  18. brazen

    Shane Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:

    > Hook the PC up to the TV.

    Can this be done without a TV Out Graphics card?
    If so.. Im keen to give it a go myself
    Shane, Mar 28, 2006
  19. brazen

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 12:17:01 +1200, "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    >Craig Sutton wrote:
    >> "~misfit~" <> wrote in message

    >> http://board.softpedia.com/index.ph...9b9&showtopic=2217&st=480&p=15169&#entry15169
    >>>
    >>> Interesting, thanks. I take it you are happy with yours? What
    >>> firmware are you running and would you be able to send it to me if I
    >>> *were* to get one?
    >>>

    >> Mine came with version 1.20 pioneer firmware. A version 1.21 is out
    >> but if it aint broken...

    >Okay, thanks. As you linked to that site with custom firmwares I mistanely
    >thought you may have cross-flashed yours.
    >
    >I missed an episode of Stargate Atlantis the other week and downloaded it.
    >However, the file wouldn't play on my DSE player (even though VideoInspector
    >told me it was an XviD file), I had to watch it at the PC. I prefer to watch
    >on the TV.

    Hook the PC up to the TV.
    Craig Shore, Mar 28, 2006
  20. On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 18:54:25 +1200, Shane wrote:

    >> Hook the PC up to the TV.

    > Can this be done without a TV Out Graphics card?
    > If so.. Im keen to give it a go myself

    Through the VGA port? There's a product at
    http://www.smarthome.com/7743.html but the resolution of a CRT TV screen's
    pretty low. The converter was $80US, perhaps it may be cheaper to purchase
    a video card with a TV out port instead?

    --
    Regards,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Mar 28, 2006