DVD Soon - WTF?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Dave Garrett, Jan 5, 2005.

  1. Dave Garrett

    Dave Garrett Guest

    OK, after reading the lengthy thread about DVD Soon, I feel compelled to
    offer another data point. I placed an order for two DVDs that I was
    reasonably sure were OOP, based on the fact that DVD Soon was the only
    retailer listing them in DVD Price Search. I figured it wouldn't hurt to
    give them a try, in case they actually had the discs in stock.

    Well, they didn't - they turned out to be "on order". No big deal, and I
    decided to give them a while to see if they could actually get them.
    Stranger things have happened to me in the past with discs I fully
    expected to be unobtainable.

    Fast forward a month. I get my credit card statement earlier this week,
    and to my great surprise, my card was hit with the charges for this
    order despite the fact that the discs showed no sign of shipping any
    time soon. Strike one.

    Deciding to cancel the order immediately, I head to their website, only
    to discover that if you cancel an order, your credit card isn't promptly
    credited, but you receive store credit instead! If you want an actual
    refund, you have to fill out another form and wait *21 days* for your
    refund to be issued.

    I'll never place another order with DVD Soon. It's completely
    unacceptable that they bill you without even having an item in stock,
    and it's even more unacceptable that they seem to think they're entitled
    to the use of your money for 21 days before they get around to issuing a
    refund. There's a huge difference between these kinds of business
    practices and the ones people cite when complaining about Deep Discount
    DVD. To those that are on the fence about ordering from DVD Soon: caveat
    emptor.

    Dave

    Dave Garrett, Jan 5, 2005

  2. On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 10:29:42 -0600, Dave Garrett <>
    wrote:

    >OK, after reading the lengthy thread about DVD Soon, I feel compelled to
    >offer another data point. I placed an order for two DVDs that I was
    >reasonably sure were OOP, based on the fact that DVD Soon was the only
    >retailer listing them in DVD Price Search. I figured it wouldn't hurt to
    >give them a try, in case they actually had the discs in stock.
    >
    >Well, they didn't - they turned out to be "on order". No big deal, and I
    >decided to give them a while to see if they could actually get them.
    >Stranger things have happened to me in the past with discs I fully
    >expected to be unobtainable.
    >
    >Fast forward a month. I get my credit card statement earlier this week,
    >and to my great surprise, my card was hit with the charges for this
    >order despite the fact that the discs showed no sign of shipping any
    >time soon. Strike one.
    >
    >Deciding to cancel the order immediately, I head to their website, only
    >to discover that if you cancel an order, your credit card isn't promptly
    >credited, but you receive store credit instead! If you want an actual
    >refund, you have to fill out another form and wait *21 days* for your
    >refund to be issued.
    >
    >I'll never place another order with DVD Soon. It's completely
    >unacceptable that they bill you without even having an item in stock,
    >and it's even more unacceptable that they seem to think they're entitled
    >to the use of your money for 21 days before they get around to issuing a
    >refund. There's a huge difference between these kinds of business
    >practices and the ones people cite when complaining about Deep Discount
    >DVD. To those that are on the fence about ordering from DVD Soon: caveat
    >emptor.
    >
    >Dave

    They say right up front that the credit card is billed at the time of
    the order, it's nothing to do with whether an item is in stock.
    http://www.dvdsoon.com/terms-of-use.xml#purchasing If an order is
    cancelled the credit can be applied to something else. Yes, the first
    order I ever placed with them was for "Barbary Coast" which was listed
    as in stock then "On Order" shortly after I placed the order. I wrote
    an Email when I found out that it was truly unavailable and they
    replied they didn't realize that. I continued to place many orders
    with them with complete satisfaction though I have to say that since
    January 2004 their service and speed has gone downhill.

    RTFM, DVDsoon states its policy, if you were "suckered" it's because
    you don't know how to read.

    ... Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Jan 5, 2005

  3. >Dave Garrett <> wrote:
    >Fast forward a month. I get my credit card statement earlier this week,
    >and to my great surprise, my card was hit with the charges for this
    >order despite the fact that the discs showed no sign of shipping any
    >time soon. Strike one.

    DVDSoon always bills your card when the order is placed. This is
    clearly stated.

    I've had good experiences dealing with them, and will continue to do
    so. Well... when they restore free shipping, that is.

    Maureen Goldman, Jan 5, 2005
  4. Dave Garrett

    Dan P. Guest

    "Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 10:29:42 -0600, Dave Garrett <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>OK, after reading the lengthy thread about DVD Soon, I feel compelled to
    >>offer another data point. I placed an order for two DVDs that I was
    >>reasonably sure were OOP, based on the fact that DVD Soon was the only
    >>retailer listing them in DVD Price Search. I figured it wouldn't hurt to
    >>give them a try, in case they actually had the discs in stock.
    >>
    >>Well, they didn't - they turned out to be "on order". No big deal, and I
    >>decided to give them a while to see if they could actually get them.
    >>Stranger things have happened to me in the past with discs I fully
    >>expected to be unobtainable.
    >>
    >>Fast forward a month. I get my credit card statement earlier this week,
    >>and to my great surprise, my card was hit with the charges for this
    >>order despite the fact that the discs showed no sign of shipping any
    >>time soon. Strike one.
    >>
    >>Deciding to cancel the order immediately, I head to their website, only
    >>to discover that if you cancel an order, your credit card isn't promptly
    >>credited, but you receive store credit instead! If you want an actual
    >>refund, you have to fill out another form and wait *21 days* for your
    >>refund to be issued.
    >>
    >>I'll never place another order with DVD Soon. It's completely
    >>unacceptable that they bill you without even having an item in stock,
    >>and it's even more unacceptable that they seem to think they're entitled
    >>to the use of your money for 21 days before they get around to issuing a
    >>refund. There's a huge difference between these kinds of business
    >>practices and the ones people cite when complaining about Deep Discount
    >>DVD. To those that are on the fence about ordering from DVD Soon: caveat
    >>emptor.
    >>
    >>Dave

    > They say right up front that the credit card is billed at the time of
    > the order, it's nothing to do with whether an item is in stock.
    > http://www.dvdsoon.com/terms-of-use.xml#purchasing If an order is
    > cancelled the credit can be applied to something else. Yes, the first
    > order I ever placed with them was for "Barbary Coast" which was listed
    > as in stock then "On Order" shortly after I placed the order. I wrote
    > an Email when I found out that it was truly unavailable and they
    > replied they didn't realize that. I continued to place many orders
    > with them with complete satisfaction though I have to say that since
    > January 2004 their service and speed has gone downhill.
    >
    > RTFM, DVDsoon states its policy, if you were "suckered" it's because
    > you don't know how to read.

    The policy may be stated, but is a very poor policy. Now that I'm aware of
    it, I'll never shop there. So thanks to the OP for informing us of this
    policy.

    Dan

    Dan P., Jan 5, 2005
  5. On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 23:11:59 GMT, "Dan P."
    <> wrote:

    >"Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 10:29:42 -0600, Dave Garrett <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>OK, after reading the lengthy thread about DVD Soon, I feel compelled to
    >>>offer another data point. I placed an order for two DVDs that I was
    >>>reasonably sure were OOP, based on the fact that DVD Soon was the only
    >>>retailer listing them in DVD Price Search. I figured it wouldn't hurt to
    >>>give them a try, in case they actually had the discs in stock.
    >>>
    >>>Well, they didn't - they turned out to be "on order". No big deal, and I
    >>>decided to give them a while to see if they could actually get them.
    >>>Stranger things have happened to me in the past with discs I fully
    >>>expected to be unobtainable.
    >>>
    >>>Fast forward a month. I get my credit card statement earlier this week,
    >>>and to my great surprise, my card was hit with the charges for this
    >>>order despite the fact that the discs showed no sign of shipping any
    >>>time soon. Strike one.
    >>>
    >>>Deciding to cancel the order immediately, I head to their website, only
    >>>to discover that if you cancel an order, your credit card isn't promptly
    >>>credited, but you receive store credit instead! If you want an actual
    >>>refund, you have to fill out another form and wait *21 days* for your
    >>>refund to be issued.
    >>>
    >>>I'll never place another order with DVD Soon. It's completely
    >>>unacceptable that they bill you without even having an item in stock,
    >>>and it's even more unacceptable that they seem to think they're entitled
    >>>to the use of your money for 21 days before they get around to issuing a
    >>>refund. There's a huge difference between these kinds of business
    >>>practices and the ones people cite when complaining about Deep Discount
    >>>DVD. To those that are on the fence about ordering from DVD Soon: caveat
    >>>emptor.
    >>>
    >>>Dave

    >> They say right up front that the credit card is billed at the time of
    >> the order, it's nothing to do with whether an item is in stock.
    >> http://www.dvdsoon.com/terms-of-use.xml#purchasing If an order is
    >> cancelled the credit can be applied to something else. Yes, the first
    >> order I ever placed with them was for "Barbary Coast" which was listed
    >> as in stock then "On Order" shortly after I placed the order. I wrote
    >> an Email when I found out that it was truly unavailable and they
    >> replied they didn't realize that. I continued to place many orders
    >> with them with complete satisfaction though I have to say that since
    >> January 2004 their service and speed has gone downhill.
    >>
    >> RTFM, DVDsoon states its policy, if you were "suckered" it's because
    >> you don't know how to read.

    >> Steve ..

    >The policy may be stated, but is a very poor policy. Now that I'm aware of
    >it, I'll never shop there. So thanks to the OP for informing us of this
    >policy.
    >

    > Dan

    My apologies to Dave, I wasn't in a great mood when I wrote my
    response. <g> Prepayment of an order is a perfectly acceptable
    business model. The A/V company where I work frequently charges for
    small rental orders a week or more before the date to speed things up
    the day of the event. It costs a company a LOT of money to carry debt
    and to pay before selling, DVDsoon saves charges and gains Interest by
    prebilling, this is WHY they are able to keep prices low and maintain
    a good relationship with suppliers.

    You can't have everything, to pass on savings to the customer DVDsoon
    has to also find its own savings.

    ... Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Jan 6, 2005
  6. Dave Garrett

    Stan Brown Guest

    "Dave Garrett" wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >Fast forward a month. I get my credit card statement earlier this week,
    >and to my great surprise, my card was hit with the charges for this
    >order despite the fact that the discs showed no sign of shipping any
    >time soon. Strike one.

    I had a similar experience with DVD Soon.

    >Deciding to cancel the order immediately, I head to their website, only
    >to discover that if you cancel an order, your credit card isn't promptly
    >credited, but you receive store credit instead! If you want an actual
    >refund, you have to fill out another form and wait *21 days* for your
    >refund to be issued.

    That's a new one since my experience -- they were slow about
    crediting the card but they did d it just on an e-mail from me.

    >I'll never place another order with DVD Soon.

    Ditto.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "Don't move, or I'll fill you full of [... pause ...] little
    yellow bolts of light." -- Farscape, first episode

    Stan Brown, Jan 6, 2005
  7. Dave Garrett

    Dave Garrett Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > My apologies to Dave, I wasn't in a great mood when I wrote my
    > response. <g> Prepayment of an order is a perfectly acceptable
    > business model. The A/V company where I work frequently charges for
    > small rental orders a week or more before the date to speed things up
    > the day of the event. It costs a company a LOT of money to carry debt
    > and to pay before selling, DVDsoon saves charges and gains Interest by
    > prebilling, this is WHY they are able to keep prices low and maintain
    > a good relationship with suppliers.
    >
    > You can't have everything, to pass on savings to the customer DVDsoon
    > has to also find its own savings.

    Well, I was pretty peeved myself when I posted that, but your original
    point is taken, as I indeed failed to read all of the terms of sale
    before placing my order. It wasn't primarily the order prepayment
    (which, to be fair, occurs with other merchants as well) that irritated
    me - most of the time, it shouldn't be an issue if the items you're
    ordering are in stock. Defaulting to store credit instead of a refund
    unless a refund is explicitly requested, though, and then stipulating a
    three-week period before the refund is issued, however, is more than a
    little sleazy in my book. It's possible that in practice refunds are
    issued much quicker than that, so I'll wait to see what happens, but if
    they're having to rely on the interest from a 21-day float to generate
    revenue, their business model has some problems.

    But, as I said in the earlier DDD thread, everyone's got their own
    threshold for what they are willing to accept in order to get a bigger
    discount, and the combination of prepayment with their refund policy is
    way past my own threshold. YMM (and obviously does) V.

    Dave

    Dave Garrett, Jan 6, 2005
  8. Dave Garrett

    Biz Guest

    Apparently, getting the cheapest dvds they can find makes some people's
    tolerance infinite. I say if they want the cheapest prices, they can deal
    with the headaches, dont make it everyone elses by bitching a fit every time
    one of their orders doesnt go flawlessly

    Biz, Jan 6, 2005
  9. Dave Garrett

    Justin Guest

    Dave Garrett wrote on [Wed, 5 Jan 2005 22:36:00 -0600]:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    >> My apologies to Dave, I wasn't in a great mood when I wrote my
    >> response. <g> Prepayment of an order is a perfectly acceptable
    >> business model. The A/V company where I work frequently charges for
    >> small rental orders a week or more before the date to speed things up
    >> the day of the event. It costs a company a LOT of money to carry debt
    >> and to pay before selling, DVDsoon saves charges and gains Interest by
    >> prebilling, this is WHY they are able to keep prices low and maintain
    >> a good relationship with suppliers.
    >>
    >> You can't have everything, to pass on savings to the customer DVDsoon
    >> has to also find its own savings.

    > Well, I was pretty peeved myself when I posted that, but your original
    > point is taken, as I indeed failed to read all of the terms of sale
    > before placing my order. It wasn't primarily the order prepayment
    > (which, to be fair, occurs with other merchants as well) that irritated

    Not that many though. Most only do an AUTH and then charge when they
    send. Which is actually the law in some places.

    Justin, Jan 6, 2005
  10. Dave Garrett

    Justin Guest

    Biz wrote on [Thu, 06 Jan 2005 04:44:58 GMT]:
    > Apparently, getting the cheapest dvds they can find makes some people's
    > tolerance infinite.

    From looking at the DDDVD Thread and this one, I'd say it's far from
    infinite!

    Justin, Jan 6, 2005