dvd software problem

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by krypton, Aug 4, 2003.

  1. krypton

    krypton Guest

    Am I missing something or what, with earlier versions of windvd like 2.1 and
    3.1 most movies play back with the incorrect aspect ratio, I play with all
    the settings of course but nothing seems to fix this problem. I am just
    watching through a 17inch svga monitor on a celeron 400A computer with SiS
    6326 based video card(ie basic dvd acceleration). Later versions of windvd
    and powerdvd correct the aspect ratio problem but my computer is not
    powerful enough to run them without massive slowdown, ie unwatchable dvd
    movies. I really find it hard to believe that such a major fault was in
    these earlier versions of windvd etc..., dvd had already been around for a
    while at this stage, doesn't make sense, surely there would have been a
    massive outcry by anyone who bought this software, so I presume that despite
    my efforts and despite the fact that a newer version fixes the problem that
    I am still not doing something right somehow. By the way the movies do run
    in 16x9, just not at the correct aspect ratio, I have a stand alone player
    to check this, although it is pretty obvious as everything is stretched
    vertically. I run the movies in fullscreen mode.
    I have one thought but as I am actually doing all this for a mates computer
    I can't actually try it out yet. The thought is about resolution, if the
    movie runs at a resolution that the monitor does not usually display then it
    maynot be setup correctly, ie vertical and horizontal size adjustments have
    to be made on the monitor. However where this theory seems to fall down is
    in the fact that from memory a newer software player can display correct
    aspect ratio without adjustment to the monitor but maybe there is something
    I don't understand about dvd resolution that explains this. If monitor
    adjustment does turn out to be what is needed how can I set the correct
    size, if I knew the resolution of the movie and then set my desktop to this
    resolution I could set the correct size, hopefully it can be seen what I am
    driving at here.
    All this stuff about resolution might be way off but at this stage I have
    tried everything else and am getting desperate, surely there must be a
    solution, surely windvd3.1 etc.. were not this badly crippled.

    krypton, Aug 4, 2003

  2. krypton

    GraB Guest

    No idea but I noticed that still captures were usually with an
    incorrect aspect ratio. When I went to the Duron 1100 and Radeon 7500
    I gave WinDVD a go but even with that hardware it wasn't completely
    smooth and the method of doing still captures was pretty convoluted in
    comparison to PowerDVD which I find excellent.

    GraB, Aug 4, 2003