DVD skips on some players, OK on others?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Dark Mikey, Apr 1, 2007.

  1. Dark Mikey

    Dark Mikey Guest

    Same old story: Rent "Monster House," the skipping begins
    immediately, right during the opening credits! But, I have another
    player. That one gets about a full chapter in before the troubles
    begin. So, I try it on my computer, and get another chapter before it
    becomes unwatchable.

    But, if I take it back to the rental house, the guy will pop it in his
    player, and it will work fine!! Happens A LOT!

    Cleaned the disk with a kleenex moistened with alcohol, but doesn't
    help much.

    I own a whole bunch of DVD's, and every one of them works perfectly,
    in either player.

    Rented "War of the Worlds" the other day, and it didn't want to work
    in the first player, but worked fine in the second.

    Cleaned both players with a disc that has a brush on it. Anything
    else I can do?

    And why is it that the discs always work fine at the rental place? Is
    their player that much better than three of mine?

    Do these disc repair kits work very well?

    Suggestions, comments, razzies?

    Thanks, all!!

    Mike
    O-

    Dark Mikey, Apr 1, 2007

  2. "Dark Mikey" <> wrote:

    >Cleaned both players with a disc that has a brush on it. Anything
    >else I can do?
    >
    >And why is it that the discs always work fine at the rental place? Is
    >their player that much better than three of mine?

    Well, if yours have had their laser assemblies slapped around by a brush
    spinning at several hundred rpm, the answer just might be yes.

    See also
    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/faq/detail/0,,2076_149599191_280792817,00.html

    Kimba W. Lion, Apr 1, 2007

  3. On 31 Mar 2007 17:09:07 -0700, "Dark Mikey" <>
    wrote:

    >Same old story: Rent "Monster House," the skipping begins
    >immediately, right during the opening credits! But, I have another
    >player. That one gets about a full chapter in before the troubles
    >begin. So, I try it on my computer, and get another chapter before it
    >becomes unwatchable.
    >
    >But, if I take it back to the rental house, the guy will pop it in his
    >player, and it will work fine!! Happens A LOT!
    >
    >Cleaned the disk with a kleenex moistened with alcohol, but doesn't
    >help much.
    >
    >I own a whole bunch of DVD's, and every one of them works perfectly,
    >in either player.
    >
    >Rented "War of the Worlds" the other day, and it didn't want to work
    >in the first player, but worked fine in the second.
    >
    >Cleaned both players with a disc that has a brush on it. Anything
    >else I can do?
    >
    >And why is it that the discs always work fine at the rental place? Is
    >their player that much better than three of mine?
    >
    >Do these disc repair kits work very well?
    >
    >Suggestions, comments, razzies?
    >
    >Thanks, all!!
    >
    >Mike
    >O-

    Does the Rental have a small Lable glued on with an ID number or
    barcode? I rent from my local Albertson's and they use a small label
    around the center hole and that cause problems with my players. I
    think it throws the disc off balance.

    Fred C. Dobbs, Apr 1, 2007
  4. Dark Mikey

    Dark Mikey Guest

    > Does the Rental have a small Lable glued on with an ID number or
    > barcode? I rent from my local Albertson's and they use a small label
    > around the center hole and that cause problems with my players. I
    > think it throws the disc off balance.- Hide quoted text -

    I like Fred's answer best, just watched "Over the Hedge," with nary a
    skip. Looks like my rental place does have small stickers around the
    hole, I'll look for off-center stickers next time.

    Thanks, man!!

    Mike

    Dark Mikey, Apr 15, 2007