DVD Sites You Hate

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by go_widescreen@hotmail.com, Mar 11, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Anybody have any DVD websites that you absolutely despise?
    ...Just due to the fact that their information tends to be slow getting
    posted, the reviews are amateur, and they don't tend
    to proofread anything?

    One I can't stand is DVDReview.com.

    I actually liked the website when I first started reading it, I even
    sent them an DVD Easter Egg to post, but now this site has
    just gotten totally ridiculous. The information they receive is
    always usually 2 or 3 weeks after everyone else gets it, there's
    constant misspellings in all the reviews and news updates (which they
    NEVER fix!) Plus they have an editorial section called
    "Smell The Coffee" that's updated about oh, every 3 months or so.

    Right now you can read about the release of the "Errol Flyyn
    Collection" on the website, which is strange since the Errol FLYNN
    Collection was announced a month or so ago. And also their reviews
    tend to sound like a high-schooler writing a report at the last minute
    and filling it with "big words" to impress the teacher.
    And I also remember when the DVD for After Hours was released
    they had an advertisement saying "Read about this great film
    from Martin Scoreses"

    But what really turned me off to this site was this particular article:

    http://www.dvdreview.com/html/packaging_the_goods.html

    I mean, come on. Yeah, I can understand how this would irritate some
    people, but for us collectors who care more about what the actual DVD
    contains as far as extras and transfers, the only thing I would really
    complain about packaging would be the fact that most studios don't
    include Chapter List inserts (or any type of insert any more for that
    matter.) I really don't give a flying F**k that the RED LINE ON THE
    CARY GRANT COLLECTION DOESN'T MATCH UP! Or that the Columbia logos on
    the Muppet Show DVDs are in different places.

    I'm not trying to sound like a troll, I just needed to vent.
    I know mostly all DVD websites are going to have people that
    don't like them, but it just irritates me when a site that claims
    to be a good site about DVD information gets their news late,
    won't hire a proofreader, and writes about meaningless things.

    Any opinions?
    , Mar 11, 2005

  2. Nick Guest

    That's quite funny...I'm not even gonna bother looking at that site. I am a
    bit worried about people who fuss over the artwork on the box etc...what's
    important is the dvd itself. Having said that..I am annoyed that Im going to
    have to wait a while for the (first two) standard snapper-cases of the
    Dollars trilogy to match my Good Bad and the Ugly standard
    snapper-case...they're in very nice boxes but if I buy them on release they
    wont match up!

    Nick, Mar 12, 2005