    You getting say 60% compression. You getting not good picture or sound as on
    original dvd?
    thanks

    jazu, Oct 31, 2005

  2. jazu

    Baz Guest

    The sound isn't altered.
    Of course you'll lose some video quality
    Depends on your eyes, your TV etc whether it's good enough for you.
    Try it and see, blanks are pretty cheap.

    Baz, Oct 31, 2005

  3. jazu

    Bob Guest

    On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 19:26:00 -0800, "jazu" <nospam> wrote:

    >Hi
    >If you backup 8GB dvd into 4.7Gb disk, what dvd feature suffers the most?
    >You getting say 60% compression. You getting not good picture or sound as on
    >original dvd?

    Supposedly compressing as much as 50% does not affect video quality
    enough to be noticable on a conventional 19" TV. Some people claim you
    can't notice anything up to a conventional 27" TV.

    But when you are viewing on a 36" or 42", that much compression is
    claimed to be noticable. Some say you can't go below 60%, some say
    even higher.

    If you re-author out all the extraneous material and keep only the
    main titles and one sound track, then you should get 60% or better.

    one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore
    -- George Bernard Shaw

    Bob, Oct 31, 2005
  4. jazu

    Biz Guest

    The sound is untouched. Many people claim they cannot tell the difference
    between a single layer copy and the original. I typically remove all the
    extras, all non-English subtitles and audio tracks, then shrink to keep the
    compression as low as possible..I also use Deep analysis and AEC...

    Biz, Oct 31, 2005
  5. jazu

    Freddy Guest

    I have used DVD shrink to go to 50% or so, and the quality holds up OK.
    I have a 32 inch flat screen. Ideally, I like to keep the feature movie
    at 75%, but if I want extras then sometimes that can't be done.

    Freddy

    Freddy, Nov 1, 2005
  6. jazu

    cmccab01 Guest

    Like Freddie, I also use DVD Shrink for compression. On my 32" Philips
    TV, I've noticed literally no loss. Sound is great, picture is great.
    I haven't compared anything on a larger screen. A quick trip to Best
    Buy with a recorded disc would answer any questions though.

    :)

    cmccab01, Nov 2, 2005
  7. jazu

    Bob Guest

    On 1 Nov 2005 17:31:16 -0800, "cmccab01" <> wrote:

    >Like Freddie, I also use DVD Shrink for compression. On my 32" Philips
    >TV, I've noticed literally no loss. Sound is great, picture is great.

    What is the compression percentage?

    Bob, Nov 2, 2005