    then have to burn it with Nero to disk. I have a DVD rom as well, so can I
    encode it direct to my blank, without sticking it on hard drive 1st? Looked
    on the website, and was baffled with science. Ta for any help.

    John, Dec 20, 2004

  2. John

    BIG NIGE Guest

    The longest part of the process is the "shrinking" This uses your hard drive
    to work in and uses more space than the resultant copy (DVD). So the answer
    is NO. If you want to copy all in one you will need to get 9.4 GB dvds but
    these are much more expensive than 4.7 gb dvds. If you dont mind copying
    onto 2 x 4.7gb DVDs then Clone DVD will do this for you much quicker and at
    far less cost than a 9.4 gb dvd.

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > Can you burn a DVD direct to the blank DVD, without having to encode it on
    > to your hard drive 1st. I have a pioneer 108, 16 speed, and is taking
    > forever to copy a disc, as it analyses it first, then encodes to hard

    drive,

    BIG NIGE, Dec 20, 2004

  3. John

    Ionizer Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > Can you burn a DVD direct to the blank DVD, without having to encode it

    on
    > to your hard drive 1st. I have a pioneer 108, 16 speed, and is taking
    > forever to copy a disc, as it analyses it first, then encodes to hard

    drive,
    > then have to burn it with Nero to disk. I have a DVD rom as well, so can

    > encode it direct to my blank, without sticking it on hard drive 1st?

    Looked
    > on the website, and was baffled with science. Ta for any help.

    Have a look at this guide instead:
    http://www.dvdr-digest.com/articles/articles.php?article_id=23 You
    actually *can* use DVD Shrink as you suggest, but it's not recommended:
    "It will... access your DVD-ROM drive during the entire shrinking process,
    which may reduce the lifetime of your DVD laser (or at least make your
    DVD-ROM drive pretty hot)."

    Turn off any background tasks you have running, including your AV, and
    don't use the computer for anything else while DVD Shrink is working. But
    be patient- the process can take many hours and should really be regarded
    as an overnight job. It's not as quick and easy as ripping an audio CD.

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Dec 20, 2004
  4. John

    Jock Strap Guest

    Ionizer wrote:

    > Turn off any background tasks you have running, including your AV, and
    > don't use the computer for anything else while DVD Shrink is working.
    > But be patient- the process can take many hours and should really be
    > regarded as an overnight job.

    Many hours? Overnight? Maybe on an old, slow PC. Hell, my PC is an
    old PIII @ 667 mhz and ripping a DVD with DVD Shrink only takes 2 hours
    at most -- hardly an "overnight" venture. And this is while I am very
    actively using my PC during the process too.

    Jock Strap, Dec 20, 2004
  5. John

    John Guest

    Ok. Cheers for that. Just need to be patient i think.

    John, Dec 21, 2004
  6. John

    BIG NIGE Guest

    I DID REPLY 2 DAYS AGO BUT IT SEEMS TO HAVE GONE ASTRAY SO HERES MY REPLY
    AGAIN

    BIG NIGE, Dec 22, 2004