DVD Shrink ripping VOBs with no audio; solution?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Traveller, Apr 8, 2005.

  1. Traveller

    Traveller Guest

    I have Vegas Video 4 and I have the plugin that will allow it to deal
    with VOB files. Great because I'm buying workout DVDs now instead of
    VHS ones so that I can create my own customized workouts.

    I just tried ripping two of my new DVDs and then taking the VOB files
    into V V 4 only to have no audio. I was able to do this a few days
    ago so don't know why no audio waveform today in V V 4.

    I have the AC3 option checked under the Compression tab in DVD Shrink
    but nothing. Just to make sure, I also tried DVD Shrink re-author
    with the subfolders for Video_TS and Audio_TS when backing up, and in
    the Audio_TS the folder is empty. I don't know if having that folder
    empty has any bearing on this problem at all, but thought I'd mention.

    The reason why DVD Shrink is so important for me is that I can
    re-author and pick parts out that I need visually. From these main
    workout DVDs, I'm creating specialized "targetting" ones, as I refer
    to them. I used to do this with my bought VHS workouts using 2 VCRs.
    Needless to say, so much easier with DVDs and a computre but it's no
    good if I can't get the audio because I do need it half the time for
    this. Alternative is to rip entire DVD to mpg when I need the audio
    from the workout itself and am not replacing it with my own music mix,
    and then cut it up but, man, I really don't want to go that route.

    Any ideas on what is wrong? I'm using DVD Shrink v3.2.0.15. I've
    just spent (wasted?) two hours on searches on the net looking for "no
    audio" problems related to DVD Shrink and nothing that has come up
    deals with the problem I'm having.

    Thanks.
    Traveller, Apr 8, 2005

  2. Traveller

    Traveller Guest

    On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 13:04:32 -0400, Traveller
    <> wrote:

    >I have Vegas Video 4 and I have the plugin that will allow it to deal
    >with VOB files. Great because I'm buying workout DVDs now instead of
    >VHS ones so that I can create my own customized workouts.
    >
    >I just tried ripping two of my new DVDs and then taking the VOB files
    >into V V 4 only to have no audio. I was able to do this a few days
    >ago so don't know why no audio waveform today in V V 4.
    >
    >I have the AC3 option checked under the Compression tab in DVD Shrink
    >but nothing. Just to make sure, I also tried DVD Shrink re-author
    >with the subfolders for Video_TS and Audio_TS when backing up, and in
    >the Audio_TS the folder is empty. I don't know if having that folder
    >empty has any bearing on this problem at all, but thought I'd mention.
    >
    >The reason why DVD Shrink is so important for me is that I can
    >re-author and pick parts out that I need visually. From these main
    >workout DVDs, I'm creating specialized "targetting" ones, as I refer
    >to them. I used to do this with my bought VHS workouts using 2 VCRs.
    >Needless to say, so much easier with DVDs and a computre but it's no
    >good if I can't get the audio because I do need it half the time for
    >this. Alternative is to rip entire DVD to mpg when I need the audio
    >from the workout itself and am not replacing it with my own music mix,
    >and then cut it up but, man, I really don't want to go that route.
    >
    >Any ideas on what is wrong? I'm using DVD Shrink v3.2.0.15. I've
    >just spent (wasted?) two hours on searches on the net looking for "no
    >audio" problems related to DVD Shrink and nothing that has come up
    >deals with the problem I'm having.
    >
    >Thanks.

    Ah, very weird. Because of what I'd read on the net, after posting
    this, decided to see if my WMP6 (with codecs) could play the VOB file.
    It could once I'd renamed to MPG. Yet V V 4 isn't showing waveform
    and renders with no audio.

    Very weird.
    Traveller, Apr 8, 2005

  3. Traveller

    Bill Guest

    > I have the AC3 option checked under the Compression tab in DVD Shrink
    > but nothing. Just to make sure, I also tried DVD Shrink re-author
    > with the subfolders for Video_TS and Audio_TS when backing up, and in
    > the Audio_TS the folder is empty. I don't know if having that folder
    > empty has any bearing on this problem at all, but thought I'd mention.
    > >

    > Any ideas on what is wrong?

    Have you tried playing the files that DVD Shrink creates with a
    software-based DVD player, or even the latest Windows Media Player? If audio
    is heard that way then you can at least narrow this problem down to the
    editing software that you're trying to use.

    The AUDIO_TS folder is empty in virtually all DVDs.
    Bill, Apr 8, 2005
  4. Traveller

    theyak Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I have Vegas Video 4 and I have the plugin that will allow it to deal
    > with VOB files. Great because I'm buying workout DVDs now instead of
    > VHS ones so that I can create my own customized workouts.
    >
    > I just tried ripping two of my new DVDs and then taking the VOB files
    > into V V 4 only to have no audio. I was able to do this a few days
    > ago so don't know why no audio waveform today in V V 4.
    >
    > I have the AC3 option checked under the Compression tab in DVD Shrink
    > but nothing. Just to make sure, I also tried DVD Shrink re-author
    > with the subfolders for Video_TS and Audio_TS when backing up, and in
    > the Audio_TS the folder is empty. I don't know if having that folder
    > empty has any bearing on this problem at all, but thought I'd mention.
    >
    > The reason why DVD Shrink is so important for me is that I can
    > re-author and pick parts out that I need visually. From these main
    > workout DVDs, I'm creating specialized "targetting" ones, as I refer
    > to them. I used to do this with my bought VHS workouts using 2 VCRs.
    > Needless to say, so much easier with DVDs and a computre but it's no
    > good if I can't get the audio because I do need it half the time for
    > this. Alternative is to rip entire DVD to mpg when I need the audio
    > from the workout itself and am not replacing it with my own music mix,
    > and then cut it up but, man, I really don't want to go that route.
    >
    > Any ideas on what is wrong? I'm using DVD Shrink v3.2.0.15. I've
    > just spent (wasted?) two hours on searches on the net looking for "no
    > audio" problems related to DVD Shrink and nothing that has come up
    > deals with the problem I'm having.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Your vegas may not have the ac3 plugin. You could demux and run the
    resulting .ac3 file through besweet if you don't want to get it.
    theyak, Apr 8, 2005
  5. Traveller

    Mike Kujbida Guest

    Traveller wrote:
    > I have Vegas Video 4 and I have the plugin that will allow it to deal
    > with VOB files. Great because I'm buying workout DVDs now instead of
    > VHS ones so that I can create my own customized workouts.
    >
    > I just tried ripping two of my new DVDs and then taking the VOB files
    > into V V 4 only to have no audio. I was able to do this a few days
    > ago so don't know why no audio waveform today in V V 4.
    >
    > I have the AC3 option checked under the Compression tab in DVD Shrink
    > but nothing. Just to make sure, I also tried DVD Shrink re-author
    > with the subfolders for Video_TS and Audio_TS when backing up, and in
    > the Audio_TS the folder is empty. I don't know if having that folder
    > empty has any bearing on this problem at all, but thought I'd mention.
    >
    > The reason why DVD Shrink is so important for me is that I can
    > re-author and pick parts out that I need visually. From these main
    > workout DVDs, I'm creating specialized "targetting" ones, as I refer
    > to them. I used to do this with my bought VHS workouts using 2 VCRs.
    > Needless to say, so much easier with DVDs and a computre but it's no
    > good if I can't get the audio because I do need it half the time for
    > this. Alternative is to rip entire DVD to mpg when I need the audio
    > from the workout itself and am not replacing it with my own music mix,
    > and then cut it up but, man, I really don't want to go that route.
    >
    > Any ideas on what is wrong? I'm using DVD Shrink v3.2.0.15. I've
    > just spent (wasted?) two hours on searches on the net looking for "no
    > audio" problems related to DVD Shrink and nothing that has come up
    > deals with the problem I'm having.
    >
    > Thanks.

    If you were seeing the audio from a DVD in Vegas, it was encoded as a PCM
    file. Most DVDs these days have the audio encoded as an AC3 file which very
    few NLEs, Vegas included, will import. The workaround is to use an app like
    AC3Decode found at http://www.users.on.net/~rsobon/ac3dec.html
    Make sure to select "convert to wav" under Mode and "PCM-48,000 KHz, 16 bit
    audio" as the output codec.

    Mike
    Mike Kujbida, Apr 9, 2005
  6. Traveller

    Traveller Guest

    On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 19:49:32 -0400, "Mike Kujbida"
    <> wrote:

    >Traveller wrote:
    >> I have Vegas Video 4 and I have the plugin that will allow it to deal
    >> with VOB files. Great because I'm buying workout DVDs now instead of
    >> VHS ones so that I can create my own customized workouts.
    >>
    >> I just tried ripping two of my new DVDs and then taking the VOB files
    >> into V V 4 only to have no audio. I was able to do this a few days
    >> ago so don't know why no audio waveform today in V V 4.
    >>
    >> I have the AC3 option checked under the Compression tab in DVD Shrink
    >> but nothing. Just to make sure, I also tried DVD Shrink re-author
    >> with the subfolders for Video_TS and Audio_TS when backing up, and in
    >> the Audio_TS the folder is empty. I don't know if having that folder
    >> empty has any bearing on this problem at all, but thought I'd mention.
    >>
    >> The reason why DVD Shrink is so important for me is that I can
    >> re-author and pick parts out that I need visually. From these main
    >> workout DVDs, I'm creating specialized "targetting" ones, as I refer
    >> to them. I used to do this with my bought VHS workouts using 2 VCRs.
    >> Needless to say, so much easier with DVDs and a computre but it's no
    >> good if I can't get the audio because I do need it half the time for
    >> this. Alternative is to rip entire DVD to mpg when I need the audio
    >> from the workout itself and am not replacing it with my own music mix,
    >> and then cut it up but, man, I really don't want to go that route.
    >>
    >> Any ideas on what is wrong? I'm using DVD Shrink v3.2.0.15. I've
    >> just spent (wasted?) two hours on searches on the net looking for "no
    >> audio" problems related to DVD Shrink and nothing that has come up
    >> deals with the problem I'm having.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    >If you were seeing the audio from a DVD in Vegas, it was encoded as a PCM
    >file. Most DVDs these days have the audio encoded as an AC3 file which very
    >few NLEs, Vegas included, will import. The workaround is to use an app like
    >AC3Decode found at http://www.users.on.net/~rsobon/ac3dec.html
    >Make sure to select "convert to wav" under Mode and "PCM-48,000 KHz, 16 bit
    >audio" as the output codec.

    Thanks for everyone's input! Since an older DVD does have sound in
    Vegas 4, thought it might be an encryption problem on newer DVDs.
    Thie above sounds more probable.

    I'll give all the advice a try and report back.

    Thanks.
    Traveller, Apr 11, 2005
  7. Traveller

    Traveller Guest

    On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 22:42:21 GMT, theyak <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...

    [snip]

    >> I just tried ripping two of my new DVDs and then taking the VOB files
    >> into V V 4 only to have no audio. I was able to do this a few days
    >> ago so don't know why no audio waveform today in V V 4.
    >>
    >> I have the AC3 option checked under the Compression tab in DVD Shrink
    >> but nothing. Just to make sure, I also tried DVD Shrink re-author
    >> with the subfolders for Video_TS and Audio_TS when backing up, and in
    >> the Audio_TS the folder is empty. I don't know if having that folder
    >> empty has any bearing on this problem at all, but thought I'd mention.

    [snip]

    >Your vegas may not have the ac3 plugin. You could demux and run the
    >resulting .ac3 file through besweet if you don't want to get it.

    How do I know if it does or doesn't have this for sure. Is it a
    question of just buying an unlocking code?? I looked in the help file
    and it does mention ac3 but gives no information on whether or not I
    have this plugin or not. Thx.
    Traveller, Jun 4, 2005
  8. Traveller

    Mike Kujbida Guest

    Traveller wrote:
    > On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 22:42:21 GMT, theyak <> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...

    > [snip]
    >
    >>> I just tried ripping two of my new DVDs and then taking the VOB
    >>> files into V V 4 only to have no audio. I was able to do this a
    >>> few days ago so don't know why no audio waveform today in V V 4.
    >>>
    >>> I have the AC3 option checked under the Compression tab in DVD
    >>> Shrink but nothing. Just to make sure, I also tried DVD Shrink
    >>> re-author with the subfolders for Video_TS and Audio_TS when
    >>> backing up, and in the Audio_TS the folder is empty. I don't know
    >>> if having that folder empty has any bearing on this problem at all,
    >>> but thought I'd mention.

    > [snip]
    >
    >> Your vegas may not have the ac3 plugin. You could demux and run the
    >> resulting .ac3 file through besweet if you don't want to get it.

    > How do I know if it does or doesn't have this for sure. Is it a
    > question of just buying an unlocking code?? I looked in the help file
    > and it does mention ac3 but gives no information on whether or not I
    > have this plugin or not. Thx.

    DVD audio can be PCM (wav fileswhich can be imported into Vegas or AC3
    files.
    The AC3 plugin for Vegas is for DVD authoring ONLY. It will NOT allow you
    to import AC3 files to the timeline. As has been mentioned, you need to
    covert the audio portion of the .vob files. BeSweet works for this.
    Personally, I use AC3Decode from www.ac3dec.com and it works like a charm.

    Mike
    Mike Kujbida, Jun 4, 2005