DVD shrink newbe question. Can it change video standards?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Mike, Aug 28, 2007.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I'm new to burning DVD and just got DVD shrink.

    I know of the DVD shrink capability to strip region coding but could it
    also change video standards?

    Can it convert PAL into NTSC for instance.

    There are many UK DVD's I'd like to get and if I can back it up region
    free and converted to NTSC then it's worth it for me to buy them.

    Also, one of my DVD players is this cheap Midiland

    http://cgi.ebay.com/DVD-Player-new-...ryZ15077QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    The remote indicates it can switch between Pal and NTSC. I'm not sure if
    that means it can only take NTSC DVD's and output PAL or if it can take
    PAL DVD's and convert it to NTSC.

    If anyone has this model and know for sure can they tell me.

    Mike, Aug 28, 2007

  2. Mike

    Stuart Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    > I'm new to burning DVD and just got DVD shrink.
    >
    > I know of the DVD shrink capability to strip region coding but could it
    > also change video standards?
    >
    > Can it convert PAL into NTSC for instance.
    >
    > There are many UK DVD's I'd like to get and if I can back it up region
    > free and converted to NTSC then it's worth it for me to buy them.
    >
    > Also, one of my DVD players is this cheap Midiland
    >
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/DVD-Player-new-...ryZ15077QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    >
    > The remote indicates it can switch between Pal and NTSC. I'm not sure if
    > that means it can only take NTSC DVD's and output PAL or if it can take
    > PAL DVD's and convert it to NTSC.
    >
    > If anyone has this model and know for sure can they tell me.

    DVD shrink does not do system conversion ie PAL to NTSC but go to
    www.videohelp.com for more info. Depending on your DVD player, it might do a
    conversion and output a NTSC signal for your TV. In PAL land most TV's and
    DVD players are multistandard but I'm not sure of the current situation in
    NTSC jurisdictions. Why not try to borrow a PAL disc and try it?

    Stuart, Aug 28, 2007