    that the layer break is not removed? Would Nero then use the original
    designated layer break rather than making one of its own? And if so, would
    there be any negative consequences?
    def456, Feb 26, 2007

  2. On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 21:16:33 GMT, "def456" <> wrote:

    >There's an option box to check in DVD Shrink to remove the layer break from
    >output files. It is checked by default, so the layer break is apparently
    >removed for DVD 9 output files.
    >
    >Then, while using Nero Express 6 to copy the resulting VIDEO_TS folder files
    >to a DL disc, presumably Nero automatically inserts a new layer break in the
    >process. Is that correct?
    >
    >At least it seems to be true because the resulting discs play OK for me,
    >insofar as I can determine.
    >
    >I wonder what is the consequence of unchecking that box in DVD Shrink, so
    >that the layer break is not removed? Would Nero then use the original
    >designated layer break rather than making one of its own? And if so, would
    >there be any negative consequences?

    A DVD9 has two layers and a DVD5 has one.
    A" layer break" is the point in the program that the player pauses to
    focus its Laser on the 2nd layer of a DVD9. That point is set in the
    coding of the DVD by the person who "Authored" it. Generally that
    point is placed somewhere in the program where it is the least
    noticeable, like the end of a scene where the movie would fade out.
    If you are using DVD shrink you are "Shrinking" a DVD9 to a DVD5
    therefore there should not be a layer break.
    Fred C. Dobbs, Feb 27, 2007

  3. def456

    def456 Guest

    > If you are using DVD shrink you are "Shrinking" a DVD9 to a DVD5
    > therefore there should not be a layer break.

    Thanks for your info, however your comment above is incorrect. DVD Shrink
    does not require shrinking to DVD5 size. You can also select DVD9 target
    size in the Edit menu, Preferences, intended for burning to DL discs. That's
    what I'm doing. So there is indeed a layer break!
    def456, Feb 27, 2007
  4. def456

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    def456 wrote:
    >> If you are using DVD shrink you are "Shrinking" a DVD9 to a DVD5
    >> therefore there should not be a layer break.

    > Thanks for your info, however your comment above is incorrect. DVD Shrink
    > does not require shrinking to DVD5 size. You can also select DVD9 target
    > size in the Edit menu, Preferences, intended for burning to DL discs. That's
    > what I'm doing. So there is indeed a layer break!

    DVD Shrink may be set to remove the layer break from a dual layer disc,
    but the burning program should be the one which determines where the
    layer break should be on your burned disc. The layer break point may
    or may not be at the same point as on the original disc.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Feb 28, 2007
  5. def456

    def456 Guest

    "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message
    > def456 wrote:
    >>> If you are using DVD shrink you are "Shrinking" a DVD9 to a DVD5
    >>> therefore there should not be a layer break.

    >> Thanks for your info, however your comment above is incorrect. DVD Shrink
    >> does not require shrinking to DVD5 size. You can also select DVD9 target
    >> size in the Edit menu, Preferences, intended for burning to DL discs.
    >> That's what I'm doing. So there is indeed a layer break!

    > DVD Shrink may be set to remove the layer break from a dual layer disc,
    > but the burning program should be the one which determines where the layer
    > break should be on your burned disc. The layer break point may or may
    > not be at the same point as on the original disc.

    My original question has become somewhat moot, because in the meantime I've
    discovered that Nero 6 is buggy when burning DL media. DL discs must be
    burned with something else, such as IMGBurn, or they won't work on most DVD
    players. I've learned how to use IMGBurn now, which recommends a layer break
    point(s) then allows user to confirm. My guess is... it doesn't matter
    whether or not DVD Shrink removes the layer break, if using IMGBurn or
    similar burning software, but I haven't tested that theory.
    def456, Mar 2, 2007