    ===
    "To buy an island is the same as courting a woman. You can never explain exactly why you love her. It's chemistry--something you cannot define--a feeling that you can stay forever."
    -- Farhad Vladi, Islands (mag) Jul/Aug 2005
    Ablang, Aug 6, 2005

  2. Ablang

    Large Farva Guest

    Dude that's what DVD Shrink is for.

    Large Farva, Aug 6, 2005

  3. Ablang

    Pat Guest

    Ablang wrote:
    > Are there any other decent freeware programs out there that can backup
    > a legitimate DVD? Sometimes I run across DVDs that have 5.4GB of data
    > on them, which are more than 4.7GB capacities of a blank DVD.
    >
    > Perhaps is there a program that can reduce the size of a movie down to
    > fit on a 4.7GB DVD?

    What do you think the "shrink" in "DVD Shrink" refers to?
    Pat, Aug 6, 2005
  4. Ablang

    P Pron Guest

    Pat wrote:
    || Ablang wrote:
    ||| Are there any other decent freeware programs out there that can
    ||| backup a legitimate DVD? Sometimes I run across DVDs that have
    ||| 5.4GB of data on them, which are more than 4.7GB capacities of a
    ||| blank DVD.
    ||| Perhaps is there a program that can reduce the size of a movie down
    ||| to fit on a 4.7GB DVD?
    || What do you think the "shrink" in "DVD Shrink" refers to?

    And what do _you_ think "alternative" and "other" mean?

    If there's another (freeware) shrinking program that does a similar job but
    by a different means and achieving a better result, I'm sure you wouldn't
    mnd too much if someone were to tell us all the name of it....

    paul
    P Pron, Aug 6, 2005
  5. On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 09:57:59 +0100, "P Pron"
    <> wrote:

    >Pat wrote:
    >|| What do you think the "shrink" in "DVD Shrink" refers to?
    >
    >And what do _you_ think "alternative" and "other" mean?
    >
    >If there's another (freeware) shrinking program that does a similar job but
    >by a different means and achieving a better result, I'm sure you wouldn't
    >mnd too much if someone were to tell us all the name of it....
    >
    >paul

    DVD2DVD-R is the best quality, better than DVDshrink, but you need CCE
    or Tmpeg to encode, plus some experience with scripting.
    http://www.mrbass.org/dvd2dvdr/

    DVD2one is a shareware alternative to DVDshrink and it's VERY fast!
    http://www.dvd2one.com/

    ... Steve ..
    Steve(JazzHunter), Aug 6, 2005
  6. Ablang

    Bratboy Guest

    "Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 09:57:59 +0100, "P Pron"
    > <> wrote:

    >>And what do _you_ think "alternative" and "other" mean?
    >>
    >>If there's another (freeware) shrinking program that does a similar job
    >>but
    >>by a different means and achieving a better result, I'm sure you wouldn't
    >>mnd too much if someone were to tell us all the name of it....
    >>
    >>paul

    > DVD2DVD-R is the best quality, better than DVDshrink, but you need CCE
    > or Tmpeg to encode, plus some experience with scripting.
    > http://www.mrbass.org/dvd2dvdr/
    >
    > DVD2one is a shareware alternative to DVDshrink and it's VERY fast!
    > http://www.dvd2one.com/
    >
    > .. Steve ..

    Well, unfortunatly neither of the 2 options you mention will probably work
    for him. Both of those require coin and the OP wanted Free. I still have to
    wonder what thier problem is with shrink. I have always gotten great results
    with it.
    Bratboy, Aug 6, 2005
  7. On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 07:42:19 -0600, "Bratboy"
    <> wrote:

    >"Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 09:57:59 +0100, "P Pron"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>And what do _you_ think "alternative" and "other" mean?
    >>>
    >>>If there's another (freeware) shrinking program that does a similar job
    >>>but
    >>>by a different means and achieving a better result, I'm sure you wouldn't
    >>>mnd too much if someone were to tell us all the name of it....
    >>>
    >>>paul

    >> DVD2DVD-R is the best quality, better than DVDshrink, but you need CCE
    >> or Tmpeg to encode, plus some experience with scripting.
    >> http://www.mrbass.org/dvd2dvdr/
    >>
    >> DVD2one is a shareware alternative to DVDshrink and it's VERY fast!
    >> http://www.dvd2one.com/
    >>
    >> .. Steve ..

    >Well, unfortunatly neither of the 2 options you mention will probably work
    >for him. Both of those require coin and the OP wanted Free. I still have to
    >wonder what thier problem is with shrink. I have always gotten great results
    >with it.

    I mentioned them because they are "alternatives' with different
    virtues. If one wants the virtue of being "free" then DVDshrink is
    it. Period. I don't know of another free dual-layer to one layer
    ripping application that comes close to DVDshrink's performance. And
    it's pretty darn good when using comprehensive analysis. I don't
    understand why one would look for an "alternative" to DVDshrink
    either.

    ... Steve ..
    Steve(JazzHunter), Aug 6, 2005
  8. Ablang

    Large Farva Guest

    "P Pron" <> wrote in message
    > Pat wrote:
    > || What do you think the "shrink" in "DVD Shrink" refers to?
    >
    > And what do _you_ think "alternative" and "other" mean?
    >
    > If there's another (freeware) shrinking program that does a similar job
    > but by a different means and achieving a better result, I'm sure you
    > wouldn't mnd too much if someone were to tell us all the name of it....

    What problems are you having with DVD Shrink???
    Large Farva, Aug 6, 2005
  9. Ablang

    P Pron Guest

    Steve(JazzHunter) wrote:
    || On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 07:42:19 -0600, "Bratboy"
    || <> wrote:
    ||| "Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in
    ||| message news:...
    ||| Well, unfortunatly neither of the 2 options you mention will
    ||| probably work for him. Both of those require coin and the OP wanted
    ||| Free. I still have to wonder what thier problem is with shrink. I
    ||| have always gotten great results with it.
    || I mentioned them because they are "alternatives' with different
    || virtues. If one wants the virtue of being "free" then DVDshrink is
    || it. Period. I don't know of another free dual-layer to one layer
    || ripping application that comes close to DVDshrink's performance. And
    || it's pretty darn good when using comprehensive analysis. I don't
    || understand why one would look for an "alternative" to DVDshrink
    || either.
    || .. Steve ..

    I don't think it's necessary to have a problem with something in order to
    justify being interested in whether there might be an alternative. If this
    were the case, people would stop getting anything new, and the economy and
    everything else would grind to a halt...

    I can't speak for OP, but although I've generally had satisfactory results
    from DVDShrink, there is always room for improvement. I'm perfectly happy
    with 'shrink's performance when it isn't required to work too hard - say,
    down to 80% compression, but when it starts approaching 70% I've found the
    image softens too much for comfortable viewing. I've no experience of
    alternative paid-for or free "shrinking" programs, so I don't know whether
    any of the others produce better-looking results with bigger files - I may
    check out the suggestions above.

    paul
    P Pron, Aug 6, 2005
  10. Ablang

    P Pron Guest

    Large Farva wrote:
    || "P Pron" <> wrote in message
    ||| And what do _you_ think "alternative" and "other" mean?
    ||| If there's another (freeware) shrinking program that does a similar
    ||| job but by a different means and achieving a better result, I'm
    ||| sure you wouldn't mnd too much if someone were to tell us all the
    ||| name of it....
    || What problems are you having with DVD Shrink???

    None - most of the time. But I wouldn't say no to sharper results when it's
    shrinking bigger files, if such a result were possible...

    paul
    P Pron, Aug 6, 2005
  11. Ablang

    Large Farva Guest

    "P Pron" <> wrote in message

    > || What problems are you having with DVD Shrink???
    >
    > None - most of the time. But I wouldn't say no to sharper results when
    > it's shrinking bigger files, if such a result were possible...

    I think you're thinking about it too much. Especially considering you're
    stealing DVD's...isn't that enough?
    Large Farva, Aug 6, 2005
  12. Ablang

    P Pron Guest

    Large Farva wrote:
    || I think you're thinking about it too much.

    At least I'm thinking at all......

    || Especially considering
    || you're stealing DVD's...isn't that enough?

    Er - no, actually... I can truthfully say that I have never copied a DVD
    that I did not own. I travel a great deal with my work, and carry copies of
    _bought_ DVDs to while away the time away from home, without risking the
    originals. Sorry to disappoint you.

    Oh - I nearly forgot - go **** yourself.

    paul
    P Pron, Aug 6, 2005
  13. Ablang

    gaffo Guest

    P Pron wrote:

    > Steve(JazzHunter) wrote:
    > || I mentioned them because they are "alternatives' with different
    > || virtues. If one wants the virtue of being "free" then DVDshrink is
    > || it. Period. I don't know of another free dual-layer to one layer
    > || ripping application that comes close to DVDshrink's performance. And
    > || it's pretty darn good when using comprehensive analysis. I don't
    > || understand why one would look for an "alternative" to DVDshrink
    > || either.
    > || .. Steve ..
    >
    > I don't think it's necessary to have a problem with something in order to
    > justify being interested in whether there might be an alternative. If this
    > were the case, people would stop getting anything new, and the economy and
    > everything else would grind to a halt...
    >
    > I can't speak for OP, but although I've generally had satisfactory results
    > from DVDShrink, there is always room for improvement. I'm perfectly happy
    > with 'shrink's performance when it isn't required to work too hard - say,
    > down to 80% compression, but when it starts approaching 70% I've found the
    > image softens too much for comfortable viewing. I've no experience of
    > alternative paid-for or free "shrinking" programs, so I don't know whether
    > any of the others produce better-looking results with bigger files - I may
    > check out the suggestions above.
    >
    > paul

    I have a question - if you don't mind.

    I'm assembling a new computer, and have 200 DVDr's (cheap ones).

    never used DVDshrink.

    I'm womdering if i can make a clean copy - i.e. bit for bit, no
    compression - of a one hour program using DVD-shrink.

    I assume I can do the same using DVD-decriptor and Nero??

    thanks!!

    --

    The jury has the power to bring a verdict in the teeth of both the law
    and the facts.

    Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Horning v. District of Columbia, 1920
    gaffo, Aug 6, 2005
  14. Ablang

    P Pron Guest

    gaffo wrote:
    || P Pron wrote:
    ||| I don't think it's necessary to have a problem with something in
    ||| order to justify being interested in whether there might be an
    ||| alternative. If this were the case, people would stop getting
    ||| anything new, and the economy and everything else would grind to a
    ||| halt...
    ||| I can't speak for OP, but although I've generally had satisfactory
    ||| results from DVDShrink, there is always room for improvement. I'm
    ||| perfectly happy with 'shrink's performance when it isn't required
    ||| to work too hard - say, down to 80% compression, but when it starts
    ||| approaching 70% I've found the image softens too much for
    ||| comfortable viewing. I've no experience of alternative paid-for or
    ||| free "shrinking" programs, so I don't know whether any of the
    ||| others produce better-looking results with bigger files - I may
    ||| check out the suggestions above.
    ||| paul
    || I have a question - if you don't mind.
    || I'm assembling a new computer, and have 200 DVDr's (cheap ones).
    || never used DVDshrink.
    || I'm womdering if i can make a clean copy - i.e. bit for bit, no
    || compression - of a one hour program using DVD-shrink.
    || I assume I can do the same using DVD-decriptor and Nero??
    || thanks!!

    Yes and yes... I can't swear that it's absolutely bit-for-bit, but yes,
    provided that the original doesn't exceed 4.3 (ish) gigabytes, DVDShrink
    will make an exact copy - give it a whirl....

    paul
    P Pron, Aug 6, 2005
  15. Ablang

    Justin Guest

    Ablang wrote on [Fri, 05 Aug 2005 22:34:13 -0700]:
    > Are there any other decent freeware programs out there that can backup
    > a legitimate DVD?

    Sure, you can walk into a store, pickup the DVD and run outside with it.
    Justin, Aug 6, 2005
  16. Ablang

    Pat Guest

    P Pron wrote:
    > Pat wrote:
    > || What do you think the "shrink" in "DVD Shrink" refers to?
    >
    > And what do _you_ think "alternative" and "other" mean?

    Read his last question, which is what I was responding to: "Perhaps is
    there a program that can reduce the size of a movie down to fit on a
    4.7GB DVD?"

    That is phrased akwardly, and gives the imperssion that the user doesn't
    understand DVD Shrink's function.

    > If there's another (freeware) shrinking program that does a similar

    job but
    > by a different means and achieving a better result, I'm sure you

    wouldn't
    > mnd too much if someone were to tell us all the name of it....

    Of course, but I don't know of any.
    Pat, Aug 6, 2005
  17. Ablang

    Biz Guest

    "gaffo" <> wrote in message
    > I have a question - if you don't mind.
    >
    > I'm assembling a new computer, and have 200 DVDr's (cheap ones).
    >
    > never used DVDshrink.
    >
    > I'm womdering if i can make a clean copy - i.e. bit for bit, no
    > compression - of a one hour program using DVD-shrink.
    >
    > I assume I can do the same using DVD-decriptor and Nero??
    >
    > thanks!!

    If you have dvd-r's already, all you need it your burner software and do a
    disk copy....No need to shrink anything because the disks are probably all
    single layer...just like copying a cd....
    Biz, Aug 6, 2005
  18. On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 21:24:56 GMT, "Biz" <> wrote:

    >"gaffo" <> wrote in message
    >> I have a question - if you don't mind.
    >>
    >> I'm assembling a new computer, and have 200 DVDr's (cheap ones).
    >>
    >> never used DVDshrink.
    >>
    >> I'm womdering if i can make a clean copy - i.e. bit for bit, no
    >> compression - of a one hour program using DVD-shrink.
    >>
    >> I assume I can do the same using DVD-decriptor and Nero??
    >>
    >> thanks!!
    >>

    >If you have dvd-r's already, all you need it your burner software and do a
    >disk copy....No need to shrink anything because the disks are probably all
    >single layer...just like copying a cd....

    For direct copies I still prefer DVDdecypter, - "Read Iso," -> "Burn
    Iso." I use that for copying wedding video masters and such, not just
    other" types of DVDs. And there is the advantage that region code and
    Macrovision can be removed in the process.

    ... Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Aug 6, 2005
  19. On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 16:29:25 +0100, "P Pron"
    <> wrote:

    >Large Farva wrote:
    >|| "P Pron" <> wrote in message
    >|| What problems are you having with DVD Shrink???
    >
    >None - most of the time. But I wouldn't say no to sharper results when it's
    >shrinking bigger files, if such a result were possible...
    >
    >paul

    Then I've answered the question, DVD2DVD-r is the only program that
    will consistently encode to better quality than DVDshrink. DVDshrink
    will make "sharper" copies if that option is set, but with more noise.

    ... Steve ..
    Steve(JazzHunter), Aug 6, 2005
  20. Ablang

    Billy Joe Guest

    > On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 21:24:56 GMT, "Biz"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> "gaffo" <> wrote in message
    >>> I have a question - if you don't mind.
    >>>
    >>> I'm assembling a new computer, and have 200 DVDr's (cheap
    >>> ones).
    >>>
    >>> never used DVDshrink.
    >>>
    >>> I'm womdering if i can make a clean copy - i.e. bit for
    >>> bit, no compression - of a one hour program using
    >>> DVD-shrink.
    >>>
    >>> I assume I can do the same using DVD-decriptor and Nero??
    >>>
    >>> thanks!!
    >>>

    >> If you have dvd-r's already, all you need it your burner
    >> software and do a disk copy....No need to shrink anything
    >> because the disks are probably all single layer...just like
    >> copying a cd....

    > For direct copies I still prefer DVDdecypter, - "Read Iso,"
    > -> "Burn Iso." I use that for copying wedding video masters
    > and such, not just other" types of DVDs. And there is the
    > advantage that region code and Macrovision can be removed in
    > the process.
    >
    > .. Steve ..

    You could mean, but I'm guessing not, that one COPY program is not the same
    as another COPY program. Is that really true? This is digital data, biases
    aside'-0)

    BJ
    Billy Joe, Aug 7, 2005