DVD, Scart, phono and an old TV

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Adrian Tupper, Oct 16, 2005.

  1. Can anyone help with this?

    I want to buy a DVD player but they all have SCART
    connections and my TV does not.

    My TV is rather old but works fine. It doesn't have a
    SCART but it does have phonos. 4 in fact. 2 are
    for audio-in and video-in, 2 are for audio-out and
    video-out.

    What would be my best option for connecting the DVD?
    I have seen SCART to phono leads but there are a few
    different types. Which if any would be compatible?

    ie. DVD SCART ------- PHONO TV

    I also have an old VCR with a SCART. Could I connect
    the DVD to the VCR SCART and then use the RF connection
    from the VCR to the TV? Would that work?

    ie. DVD SCART ------- SCART VCR RF ------- RF TV

    I'm trying to avoid buying a RF modulator so any advice would
    be much appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Adrian

    Adrian Tupper, Oct 16, 2005

  2. Adrian Tupper

    Adrian Guest

    Adrian Tupper wrote:
    > Can anyone help with this?
    >
    > I want to buy a DVD player but they all have SCART
    > connections and my TV does not.
    >
    > My TV is rather old but works fine. It doesn't have a
    > SCART but it does have phonos. 4 in fact. 2 are
    > for audio-in and video-in, 2 are for audio-out and
    > video-out.
    >
    > What would be my best option for connecting the DVD?
    > I have seen SCART to phono leads but there are a few
    > different types. Which if any would be compatible?
    >
    > ie. DVD SCART ------- PHONO TV
    >
    > I also have an old VCR with a SCART. Could I connect
    > the DVD to the VCR SCART and then use the RF connection
    > from the VCR to the TV? Would that work?
    >
    > ie. DVD SCART ------- SCART VCR RF ------- RF TV
    >
    > I'm trying to avoid buying a RF modulator so any advice would
    > be much appreciated.
    >

    > Thanks,
    > Adrian

    You should be able to find a SCART to video and audio phono lead, you will
    nead to combine the left and right audio. The problem with passing the
    output of a DVD player through a VCR is many discs are encoded with
    Macrovision, which will make them unwatchable. HTH
    --
    Adrian A

    Adrian, Oct 16, 2005

  3. Adrian Tupper

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Adrian Tupper" <myname@myisp> wrote in message

    > I also have an old VCR with a SCART. Could I connect
    > the DVD to the VCR SCART and then use the RF connection
    > from the VCR to the TV? Would that work?

    I would say yes, but the DVD copy protection *might* screw up the image as
    it comes out of the VCR.

    > ie. DVD SCART ------- SCART VCR RF ------- RF TV
    >
    > I'm trying to avoid buying a RF modulator so any advice would
    > be much appreciated.

    Look for SCART/RCA adaptor. You're looking for "SCART in, RCA out" Then
    you're going to need an RCA M/M set of 3 cables, and an RCA stereo in, mono
    out adaptor.

    DAn

    Dan Evans, Oct 16, 2005
  4. "Dan Evans" <> wrote in

    > "Adrian Tupper" <myname@myisp> wrote in message
    >
    >> I also have an old VCR with a SCART. Could I connect
    >> the DVD to the VCR SCART and then use the RF connection
    >> from the VCR to the TV? Would that work?

    > I would say yes, but the DVD copy protection *might* screw up the
    > image as it comes out of the VCR.
    >
    >> ie. DVD SCART ------- SCART VCR RF ------- RF TV
    >>
    >> I'm trying to avoid buying a RF modulator so any advice would
    >> be much appreciated.

    > Look for SCART/RCA adaptor. You're looking for "SCART in, RCA out"
    > Then you're going to need an RCA M/M set of 3 cables, and an RCA
    > stereo in, mono out adaptor.
    >
    > DAn

    > -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-

    Thanks for the advice. And to Adrian in the earlier post.
    Not sure what I'll try first. I was hoping that there
    was an off-the-peg solution.

    Adrian

    Adrian Tupper, Oct 16, 2005
  5. Adrian Tupper

    A Guest

    "Dan Evans" <> wrote in

    > "Adrian Tupper" <myname@myisp> wrote in message
    >
    >> I also have an old VCR with a SCART. Could I connect
    >> the DVD to the VCR SCART and then use the RF connection
    >> from the VCR to the TV? Would that work?

    > I would say yes, but the DVD copy protection *might* screw up the
    > image as it comes out of the VCR.
    >
    >> ie. DVD SCART ------- SCART VCR RF ------- RF TV
    >>
    >> I'm trying to avoid buying a RF modulator so any advice would
    >> be much appreciated.

    > Look for SCART/RCA adaptor. You're looking for "SCART in, RCA out"
    > Then you're going to need an RCA M/M set of 3 cables, and an RCA
    > stereo in, mono out adaptor.
    >
    > DAn

    > -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-

    I'm now going to ask what could be a very stupid question!!! I've
    noticed that DVD recorders have a RF output. Can I simply connect
    that to my TV? I mean, is it just an aerial splitter in there
    or is a RF modulated DVD output signal available too?

    Adrian

    A, Oct 16, 2005
  6. Adrian Tupper

    Gary Guest

    my Philips has only a splitter. NO rf output

    This e-mail has been virus checked by Mcafee Virus Scan.
    Telephone calls may be recorded for quality assurance and security purposes.

    Gary, Oct 16, 2005
  7. "Gary" <> wrote in news:d3A4f.3634$6i4.937
    @newsfe7-gui.ntli.net:

    > my Philips has only a splitter. NO rf output

    Hmmm. That's what I was afraid of. Back to plan A then...

    --
    Adrian

    Adrian Tupper, Oct 16, 2005
  8. Adrian Tupper

    Gary Guest

    "Adrian Tupper" <> wrote in message
    > "Gary" <> wrote in news:d3A4f.3634$6i4.937
    > @newsfe7-gui.ntli.net:
    >
    >> my Philips has only a splitter. NO rf output
    >>

    > Hmmm. That's what I was afraid of. Back to plan A then...
    >
    > --
    > Adrian

    The scart to Phono is not a complicated idea. it sounds much worse than it
    is.

    Maplin do a good modulator but it is around £35. however if you have a VCR
    around you could rewire the modulator to accept the signal from the DVD
    instead of the VCR and it will work even with macrovision. OR get a
    macrovision removing lead and the VCR will just work like a little jem and
    you will be able to make recordings of DVD's without any protection getting
    involved .....ever!!!!!!!

    Gary
    rewiring is simple. email me for details. remove spam for address

    Gary, Oct 17, 2005
  9. Adrian Tupper

    Adrian Guest

    A wrote:

    > I'm now going to ask what could be a very stupid question!!! I've
    > noticed that DVD recorders have a RF output. Can I simply connect
    > that to my TV? I mean, is it just an aerial splitter in there
    > or is a RF modulated DVD output signal available too?
    >
    > Adrian

    My Panasonic has no RF out, just passthrough.
    --
    Adrian A

    Adrian, Oct 17, 2005
  10. "Gary" <> wrote in

    > The scart to Phono is not a complicated idea. it sounds much worse
    > than it is.
    >
    > Maplin do a good modulator but it is around œ35. however if you have a
    > VCR around you could rewire the modulator to accept the signal from
    > the DVD instead of the VCR and it will work even with macrovision. OR
    > get a macrovision removing lead and the VCR will just work like a
    > little jem and you will be able to make recordings of DVD's without
    > any protection getting involved .....ever!!!!!!!
    >
    > Gary
    > rewiring is simple. email me for details. remove spam for address

    I can see how it works now. I also saw a lead in amazon of all places:

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006JDI5/202-7349045-3053424

    It appears to be for audio/video in rather than out but it has the right
    plugs. It also appears to cost only 1p! Does anyone know if this lead
    would work for me?

    I'd rather not rewire my VCR as I still intend to use it. But I would
    get all the connection gear mentioned earlier if the lead above is
    no use.

    Adrian

    Adrian Tupper, Oct 17, 2005