    off coffee
    Cheers
    Chris
    fastmoggy, Jul 5, 2005

  2. fastmoggy

    pengulin Guest

    > Problem now is that on boot up the dvd light comes on
    > briefly and then that's it, i cannot open the draw or
    > even use it.

    So then failure to eject is the primary symptom? Just to be clear. If so,
    have you tried ejecting during or just after POST, before Windows Loads up
    completely?
    Have you tried ejecting manually (mechanically)?
    pengulin, Jul 5, 2005

  3. fastmoggy

    fastmoggy Guest

    "pengulin" <> wrote in message
    >> Problem now is that on boot up the dvd light comes on
    >> briefly and then that's it, i cannot open the draw or
    >> even use it.

    > So then failure to eject is the primary symptom? Just to be clear. If so,
    > have you tried ejecting during or just after POST, before Windows Loads up
    > completely?
    > Have you tried ejecting manually (mechanically)?

    Yes. I had to get the DVD+RW disk out of the drive but other than that
    nothing!
    The day previous i did burn a DVD+RW disk of some of my home movies which
    turned out ok but there was a dialog box saying that it had failed to burn
    to disk?
    I was using Nero 6 which comes with the dvd drive.

    I have tried to eject whilst the computer is going through post but it will
    not respond, even though according to the computer the device is working.

    I have tried the Philips website but alas all hype on new products and not
    much in the way of customer support
    fastmoggy, Jul 5, 2005
  4. fastmoggy

    fastmoggy Guest

    "fastmoggy" <> wrote in message

    > "pengulin" <> wrote in message
    >>> Problem now is that on boot up the dvd light comes on
    >>> briefly and then that's it, i cannot open the draw or
    >>> even use it.

    >> So then failure to eject is the primary symptom? Just to be clear. If so,
    >> have you tried ejecting during or just after POST, before Windows Loads
    >> up
    >> completely?
    >> Have you tried ejecting manually (mechanically)?
    >>

    > Yes. I had to get the DVD+RW disk out of the drive but other than that
    > nothing!
    > The day previous i did burn a DVD+RW disk of some of my home movies which
    > turned out ok but there was a dialog box saying that it had failed to burn
    > to disk?
    > I was using Nero 6 which comes with the dvd drive.
    >
    > I have tried to eject whilst the computer is going through post but it
    > will not respond, even though according to the computer the device is
    > working.
    >
    > I have tried the Philips website but alas all hype on new products and not
    > much in the way of customer support

    Found this in the debugging prog....

    The driver detected a controller error on \Device\CdRom1.

    This refers to the drive in question, maybe that helps?
    fastmoggy, Jul 5, 2005
  5. fastmoggy

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "fastmoggy" <> wrote in message

    > "fastmoggy" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "pengulin" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> So then failure to eject is the primary symptom? Just to be clear. If
    >>> so,
    >>> have you tried ejecting during or just after POST, before Windows Loads
    >>> up
    >>> completely?
    >>> Have you tried ejecting manually (mechanically)?
    >>>

    >> Yes. I had to get the DVD+RW disk out of the drive but other than that
    >> nothing!
    >> The day previous i did burn a DVD+RW disk of some of my home movies which
    >> turned out ok but there was a dialog box saying that it had failed to
    >> burn to disk?
    >> I was using Nero 6 which comes with the dvd drive.
    >>
    >> I have tried to eject whilst the computer is going through post but it
    >> will not respond, even though according to the computer the device is
    >> working.
    >>
    >> I have tried the Philips website but alas all hype on new products and
    >> not much in the way of customer support

    > Found this in the debugging prog....
    >
    > The driver detected a controller error on \Device\CdRom1.
    >
    > This refers to the drive in question, maybe that helps?

    Maybe. Is the drive set as master, slave or cable select? If it is master
    and there is another drive on the IDE cable, switch the DVD-RW to slave and
    the other to master.
    Toolman Tim, Jul 6, 2005
  6. fastmoggy

    pengulin Guest

    I hate to say this, but well, let me put it this way... What kind of
    warranty you got on that drive? Device manager will typically report that a
    device or drive is "working properly" if it can detect it on the bus and
    identify its firmware, it's drivers are installed properly, and there are no
    conflicts. You know it has power and you have reseated the cables. Improper
    jumper configuration is likely not the issue because it worked in your
    system at one time (but that begs the question did you add anything to your
    system recently, specifically a drive of any sort on the same cable). The
    one question I still have is whether there was something obstructing the
    drive door from opening (like a broken disk inside the drive or system
    bezel)? Your last post seems to indicate this is not the case.
    pengulin, Jul 6, 2005
  7. fastmoggy

    fastmoggy Guest

    "pengulin" <> wrote in message
    time (but that begs the question did you add anything to your
    > system recently, specifically a drive of any sort on the same cable). The
    > one question I still have is whether there was something obstructing the
    > drive door from opening (like a broken disk inside the drive or system
    > bezel)? Your last post seems to indicate this is not the case.

    Nothing new added and the disk was removed manually.
    The only thing i can think of that's changed was that i updated nero 6 which
    came with the drive but that was not until after the drive failed to see if
    there was a software problem.The drive is set to slave with a msi dvd reader
    set to master so all setup correctly, i checked to see if the jumper had
    come loose but was firmly in.
    My very last resort if there is some sort of device problem is to format the
    computer and try a fresh reinstall.
    Thinking about the reinstall i did do that a week ago changing the fat32 to
    ntfs would that have a bearing on the problem?
    fastmoggy, Jul 6, 2005