    ian field Guest

    DVD-RW & DVD+RW, what's the difference?

    TIA.
    ian field, Aug 21, 2006

  2. ian field

    Evan Platt Guest

    Evan Platt, Aug 21, 2006

  3. "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 19:09:39 GMT, "ian field" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>DVD-RW & DVD+RW, what's the difference?

    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=difference dvd+r dvd r&btnG=Google Search

    I asked this question before - having Googled away for ages. None of the
    sites explain the difference in formatting or file structure, they just
    prattle away about what the different formats can do, without explaining how
    or why. Very disappointing.
    Geoff Pearson, Aug 21, 2006
  4. ian field

    Rod Speed Guest

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD+RW
    Rod Speed, Aug 21, 2006
  5. ian field

    Rod Speed Guest

    Rod Speed, Aug 21, 2006
  6. "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message
    > Geoff Pearson <> wrote:
    >> "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message

    >>> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=difference dvd+r dvd r&btnG=Google Search

    >> I asked this question before - having Googled away for ages. None of
    >> the sites explain the difference in formatting or file structure,
    >> they just prattle away about what the different formats can do,
    >> without explaining how or why. Very disappointing.

    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD+RW

    Exactly - just prattle.
    Geoff Pearson, Aug 21, 2006
  7. "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message
    > ian field <> wrote:
    >
    >> DVD-RW & DVD+RW, what's the difference?

    > http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/113

    Now that appears to be real information - thanks.
    Geoff Pearson, Aug 21, 2006
  8. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "Geoff Pearson" <> wrote in message

    > "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 19:09:39 GMT, "ian field" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>DVD-RW & DVD+RW, what's the difference?

    >> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=difference dvd+r dvd r&btnG=Google Search

    > I asked this question before - having Googled away for ages. None of the
    > sites explain the difference in formatting or file structure, they just
    > prattle away about what the different formats can do, without explaining
    > how or why. Very disappointing.

    Exactly so! - the first hit from the google link provided; "What's the
    difference between DVD-RW & DVD+RW" would be spot on - if the link wasn't
    broken!!!

    All the other links prattle on (in some length) about the difference between
    DVD-R & DVD-RW, but not about + or - RW or +/- anything for that matter!!
    ian field, Aug 21, 2006
  9. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message
    > Geoff Pearson <> wrote:
    >> "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message

    >>> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=difference dvd+r dvd r&btnG=Google Search

    >> I asked this question before - having Googled away for ages. None of
    >> the sites explain the difference in formatting or file structure,
    >> they just prattle away about what the different formats can do,
    >> without explaining how or why. Very disappointing.

    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD+RW

    Thanks, that seems to clear things up. By happy coincidence I seem to have
    bought the right disks for the right job! As my local store was doing
    special offers I just bought the disks without looking whether + or -, the
    way it worked out I bought a load of 2x -RW for the DVD recorder under the
    TV and a load of 4x RW disks which turned out to be +RW for file backups.

    When I went in the store today they had a different brand of disks, instead
    of a choice between 2x or 4x all the disks were 4x with a choice between +RW
    or -RW - none of the staff I asked had any idea what the difference was!
    ian field, Aug 21, 2006
  10. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message
    > ian field <> wrote:
    >
    >> DVD-RW & DVD+RW, what's the difference?

    > http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/113

    Thanks - it looks like a long and detailed description so I read a bit and
    saved it for later study, the spec for the DVD under the TV allows both +
    & - in either R or RW so as long as the PC is happy with -RW as well as +RW
    it doesn't really matter which disks I buy for what.
    ian field, Aug 21, 2006
  11. ian field

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 21:35:50 GMT, "ian field" <>
    wrote:

    >Thanks - it looks like a long and detailed description so I read a bit and
    >saved it for later study, the spec for the DVD under the TV allows both +
    >& - in either R or RW so as long as the PC is happy with -RW as well as +RW
    >it doesn't really matter which disks I buy for what.

    Has nothing to do with the PC, it depends on your drive. Your drive
    has to support - and + formats.
    Evan Platt, Aug 21, 2006
  12. ian field

    Rod Speed Guest

    Geoff Pearson <> wrote:
    > "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message
    >> Geoff Pearson <> wrote:
    >>> "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message

    >>> I asked this question before - having Googled away for ages. None
    >>> of the sites explain the difference in formatting or file structure,
    >>> they just prattle away about what the different formats can do,
    >>> without explaining how or why. Very disappointing.

    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD+RW
    >>

    > Exactly - just prattle.

    Nope, not the external link in there
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/113
    Rod Speed, Aug 21, 2006
  13. ian field

    PeeCee Guest

    "ian field" <> wrote in message
    snip

    - none of the staff I asked had any idea what the difference was!

    snip

    Which makes one wonder doesn't it!

    PeeCee
    PeeCee, Aug 22, 2006
  14. Howdy!

    "ian field" <> wrote in message
    > DVD-RW & DVD+RW, what's the difference?

    One is Plus, one is Dash.

    Or, Sony vis Panasonic.

    Other links posted go into more detail for you B)

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Aug 23, 2006