    anyway I can fix this please??? TIA
    Its a Sony DVD Recorder RDR-VX515.
    Bill

    Bill, Mar 5, 2006

  2. In article <H5GOf.507907$>,
    Bill <> wrote:

    > I recorded too much on a dvd-rw disk as it said "Cannot record - unavailable
    > disk space". If you look on the disk it shows only "half" full. Is ot
    > anyway I can fix this please??? TIA
    > Its a Sony DVD Recorder RDR-VX515.

    A DVD-RW isn't like a floppy disk. It's just like a regular DVD-R --
    you assemble what you want to burn, burn it all in one shot, and the
    disk is done. The only thing the -RW lets you do is erase it and start
    over. You can't keep adding things to it at random.

    There is special packet-writing software available that will let it
    behave more like a floppy disk. But it'll be a non-standard disk that
    will only be readable with that software.

    Barry McCockiner, Mar 5, 2006

  3. Bill

    Guest

    On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 18:28:55 GMT, "Bill" <> wrote:

    >I recorded too much on a dvd-rw disk as it said "Cannot record - unavailable
    >disk space". If you look on the disk it shows only "half" full. Is ot
    >anyway I can fix this please??? TIA
    >Its a Sony DVD Recorder RDR-VX515.
    >Bill

    Leave the recording of DVDs to companies that have the proper
    equipment to make them. The ones you make at home, as well as
    homemade CDs are always poor quality and have a life expectancy of a
    couple years at most. The ones made commercially use a completely
    different process and have reliability and a long life. Attempting to
    make homemade dvds and cds is just wasting money on blanks that do
    nothing but fill garbage dumps with junk plastic.
    I dumped my cd burner on ebay several years ago, and will never own
    another, and especially not a dvd burner. The only way you can
    preserve those homemade ones is to keep them in a temperature
    controlled vault where no sunlight comes in contact with them, the
    temperature and humidity are always stable, and they are rarely
    touched. I am not willing to go thru all the hassle and expense of
    that, when I can buy commercial dvds for $10 to $20 a piece. If I
    want to copy a home movie, I use a VHS tape, which if given minimal
    care will outlast any homemade dvd or cd.

    , Mar 5, 2006
  4. Bill

    none Guest

    Try to read it in your computer. Maybe the disk needs to be closed or
    finalized. My recorder will automatic shutdown and stop recording when the
    disk is full. If I ever buy another it will have a hard drive so I'm not
    limited to 3 hrs of recording.

    none, Mar 6, 2006
  5. Bill

    beavis Guest

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    > Leave the recording of DVDs to companies that have the proper
    > equipment to make them. The ones you make at home, as well as
    > homemade CDs are always poor quality and have a life expectancy of a
    > couple years at most....
    > I dumped my cd burner on ebay several years ago, and will never own
    > another, and especially not a dvd burner.

    You're insane. If your burned media is only lasting a couple of years,
    you're either treating it very poorly, or buying the cheapest POS
    house-branded stuff you can find.

    A properly-done recording burned on quality media will last much, much
    longer than that. I just pulled out a CD I burned in 1995, I believe.
    It's completely usable; all the data is 100% intact. I have DVDs I
    burned four years ago on my Pioneer drive that, again, are in perfect
    condition.

    The only CDs I've ever had fail are the ones I left baking in my car
    for a couple of years. I expected that; they were disposable mix CDs,
    and treated as such.

    I'm not sure what you were doing to create such poor-quality burns, but
    your experience is not the norm. Not at all.

    beavis, Mar 6, 2006
  6. Bill

    Guest

    On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 02:55:43 GMT, beavis <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> Leave the recording of DVDs to companies that have the proper
    >> equipment to make them. The ones you make at home, as well as
    >> homemade CDs are always poor quality and have a life expectancy of a
    >> couple years at most....
    >> I dumped my cd burner on ebay several years ago, and will never own
    >> another, and especially not a dvd burner.

    >You're insane. If your burned media is only lasting a couple of years,
    >you're either treating it very poorly, or buying the cheapest POS
    >house-branded stuff you can find.
    >
    >A properly-done recording burned on quality media will last much, much
    >longer than that. I just pulled out a CD I burned in 1995, I believe.
    >It's completely usable; all the data is 100% intact. I have DVDs I
    >burned four years ago on my Pioneer drive that, again, are in perfect
    >condition.
    >
    >The only CDs I've ever had fail are the ones I left baking in my car
    >for a couple of years. I expected that; they were disposable mix CDs,
    >and treated as such.
    >

    >I'm not sure what you were doing to create such poor-quality burns, but
    >your experience is not the norm. Not at all.

    It's at least 6 or 7 years since I dumped the CD burner and said I'd
    never own another. I started buying cheap media, but soon switched to
    quality name brands. Half of the burns were trash immediately.
    Something would error out and that disk went in the garbage. My waste
    basket was half filled with defective disks in no time. The ones that
    did work, ended up not being readable in my wife's computer or that of
    friends, so I was stuck with using only my own computer to read them.

    I decided to trash that drive and buy another, more expensive one. My
    results were the same. Lots of rejects, cant read them in other
    computers, and so on. I installed that drive in another computer,
    change to other software, and nothing improved. I sold that drive,
    and bought one more, this time it was supposed to be top of the line,
    and I paid a fortune for it. There was a slight improvement as far as
    reading disks in other computers. A few friends asked me to make
    backups for them of put their collections of pictures or something on
    disks. Then they would take the disks home, and rarely be able to
    read them. If they did, there would be errors after errors. I recall
    one friend telling me it took 3 hours to get a directory of the disk,
    and all that was on the disk was his installation of Win98 as a
    backup.

    One day I realized what it was costing me to use theis thing. I spent
    a fortune on the burner, was spending lots of money to fill my waste
    backet with plastic crap, and I knew that anything I burned would not
    be readable if I ever changed burners or computers. In fact I lost
    much of the data I burned using the earlier drives. That's when I
    realized that I'd save money simply buying my music cds, and my
    software, and using a spare harddrive for backups.
    I sold that drive on Ebay and will never use one again.

    I'm sure DVD is even worse, since it holds more data.

    I dont even have any of those home burned CDs anymore. I copied
    everything back to the computer and bought a few more harddrives for
    storage. To be perfectly honest, I got so angry, I literally threw
    that first drive thru the window in my home office. That cost me a
    couple hundred more to repair the window.

    I value my time, and my money, and my health. All these burners did
    was ruin all 3 of them.
    These days, if I want a dvd movie, a music cd, or some software, I buy
    it. I spend less money, much less time, and I am not filled with
    stress. I dont even want a DVD player on my computer. I got one for
    the TV and thats all I need.

    , Mar 6, 2006
  7. Bill

    John Guest

    wrote in

    > Leave the recording of DVDs to companies that have the proper
    > equipment to make them. The ones you make at home, as well as
    > homemade CDs are always poor quality and have a life expectancy of a
    > couple years at most. The ones made commercially use a completely
    > different process and have reliability and a long life. Attempting to
    > make homemade dvds and cds is just wasting money on blanks that do
    > nothing but fill garbage dumps with junk plastic.
    > I dumped my cd burner on ebay several years ago, and will never own
    > another, and especially not a dvd burner. The only way you can
    > preserve those homemade ones is to keep them in a temperature
    > controlled vault where no sunlight comes in contact with them, the
    > temperature and humidity are always stable, and they are rarely
    > touched. I am not willing to go thru all the hassle and expense of
    > that, when I can buy commercial dvds for $10 to $20 a piece. If I
    > want to copy a home movie, I use a VHS tape, which if given minimal
    > care will outlast any homemade dvd or cd.

    since you hate recording DVDs so much, why are you here then? Are you just
    a troublemaker looking for a fight? No life? A loser?

    John, Mar 6, 2006
  8. Bill

    John Guest

    wrote in

    > I value my time, and my money, and my health. All these burners did
    > was ruin all 3 of them.
    > These days, if I want a dvd movie, a music cd, or some software, I buy
    > it. I spend less money, much less time, and I am not filled with
    > stress. I dont even want a DVD player on my computer. I got one for
    > the TV and thats all I need.

    Again, I ask. Why are you here then?

    John, Mar 6, 2006
  9. wrote:

    > Leave the recording of DVDs to companies that have the proper
    > equipment to make them. The ones you make at home, as well as
    > homemade CDs are always poor quality and have a life expectancy of a
    > couple years at most. The ones made commercially use a completely
    > different process and have reliability and a long life. Attempting to
    > make homemade dvds and cds is just wasting money on blanks that do
    > nothing but fill garbage dumps with junk plastic.
    > I dumped my cd burner on ebay several years ago, and will never own
    > another, and especially not a dvd burner. The only way you can
    > preserve those homemade ones is to keep them in a temperature
    > controlled vault where no sunlight comes in contact with them, the
    > temperature and humidity are always stable, and they are rarely
    > touched. I am not willing to go thru all the hassle and expense of
    > that, when I can buy commercial dvds for $10 to $20 a piece. If I
    > want to copy a home movie, I use a VHS tape, which if given minimal
    > care will outlast any homemade dvd or cd.

    1. First, I disagree with much of what said above(I exclude statements
    such as "I dumped by cd burner on ebay, ...I can buy commercial dvds for
    $10 to $20).

    2, Second, just because YOU had poor results.....

    Kenneth J. Harris, Mar 6, 2006
  10. Bill

    Guest Guest

    "Bill" <> wrote in message
    >I recorded too much on a dvd-rw disk as it said "Cannot record -
    >unavailable disk space". If you look on the disk it shows only "half"
    >full. Is ot anyway I can fix this please??? TIA
    > Its a Sony DVD Recorder RDR-VX515.

    I don't think you can do that with DVD-RW. That's the main reason that
    recorders that use -RW generally include DVD-RAM. You can do what you're
    trying to do with DVD+RW, which is what I use.

    Norm
    Strong

    Guest, Mar 6, 2006