    they're crap - my video tape recordings look much better (even the wife says
    so & she dont know what's playing) - i'm hoping it's the discs

    can anyone reccommend some good ones - cheap of course - thanx

    JethroUK©, Apr 3, 2004

  2. JethroUK©

    JustMe Guest

    > i bought some 5 tdk discs with my recorder for £25 - and quite frankly
    > they're crap - my video tape recordings look much better (even the wife

    says
    > so & she dont know what's playing) - i'm hoping it's the discs
    >
    > can anyone reccommend some good ones - cheap of course - thanx

    Poor picture quality is unlikely to be because the discs are crap and more
    likely to do with either the settings used on the recorder or the source -
    or both.

    Which recorder are you using? Most have adjustable compression rates,
    allowing the user to find a suitable record-length:quality ratio - play
    around with these options until you find which works best for you.

    JustMe, Apr 4, 2004

  3. JethroUK©

    trappeduser Guest

    "JethroUK©" <> wrote in message
    > i bought some 5 tdk discs with my recorder for £25 - and quite frankly
    > they're crap - my video tape recordings look much better (even the wife

    says
    > so & she dont know what's playing) - i'm hoping it's the discs
    >
    > can anyone reccommend some good ones - cheap of course - thanx

    £25 for 5?? you were robbed, try buying online and while you are at
    it buy a proper recorder.

    Matt

    trappeduser, Apr 4, 2004
  4. JethroUK© wrote:

    > can anyone reccommend some good ones - cheap of course - thanx

    I bought 10 Memorex +RWs from ebuyer. They were about £1.20 each plus
    postage (inc vat), and come with a DVD case.

    As for the quality of your recordings, I think you're using too high a
    compression so getting a poor quality image. Use the 1 hour of video
    per disk setting and you should get better results.

    Gary.

    Gary Lightfoot, Apr 4, 2004
  5. JethroUK©

    Pug Fugley Guest

    Your video will look the same no matter what brand discs you use. The
    problem is in your conversion methods and compression levels.

    Pug Fugley, Apr 4, 2004
  6. JethroUK©

    JethroUK© Guest

    "trappeduser" <> wrote in message

    > "JethroUK©" <> wrote in message
    > > i bought some 5 tdk discs with my recorder for £25 - and quite frankly
    > > they're crap - my video tape recordings look much better (even the wife

    > says
    > > so & she dont know what's playing) - i'm hoping it's the discs
    > >
    > > can anyone reccommend some good ones - cheap of course - thanx
    > >

    > £25 for 5?? you were robbed,

    yeah i know - but the recorder didn't come with any an i had to have
    something to play with on day 1 :eek:)

    JethroUK©, Apr 4, 2004
  7. JethroUK©

    JethroUK© Guest

    "JustMe" <> wrote in message
    > > i bought some 5 tdk discs with my recorder for £25 - and quite frankly
    > > they're crap - my video tape recordings look much better (even the wife

    > says
    > > so & she dont know what's playing) - i'm hoping it's the discs
    > >
    > > can anyone reccommend some good ones - cheap of course - thanx

    > Poor picture quality is unlikely to be because the discs are crap and more
    > likely to do with either the settings used on the recorder or the source -
    > or both.
    >
    > Which recorder are you using?

    philips dvr70

    > Most have adjustable compression rates,
    > allowing the user to find a suitable record-length:quality ratio - play
    > around with these options until you find which works best for you.

    it has 6 recording rates (1-6 hours) - 4 spose to equal standard vhs - 6
    used to look flawless till i got pixel+ tv - now i have to record at 2+ (2
    1/2hours) to equal my 4hr video tapes (which still look near broadcast) -
    either my video is better than it should be or the discs aren't as good as
    they should be

    i will try some different discs and hope it gets better - thanx

    JethroUK©, Apr 4, 2004
  8. "JethroUK©" <> wrote in message

    > it has 6 recording rates (1-6 hours) - 4 spose to equal standard vhs - 6
    > used to look flawless till i got pixel+ tv - now i have to record at 2+ (2
    > 1/2hours) to equal my 4hr video tapes (which still look near broadcast) -
    > either my video is better than it should be or the discs aren't as good as
    > they should be

    that's not true at all - you do realise it's a digital signal on the dvds! -
    it's not like with videotape.
    the signal will be the same regardless of discs- the same stream of 1's and
    0's - other than if you are using faulty discs which won't give a worse
    picture - they'll give none.

    --
    Gareth.
    Quote of the day.

    the dog from that film you saw, Apr 4, 2004
  9. JethroUK©

    trappeduser Guest

    "JethroUK©" <> wrote in message

    > "trappeduser" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "JethroUK©" <> wrote in message
    > > > i bought some 5 tdk discs with my recorder for £25 - and quite frankly
    > > > they're crap - my video tape recordings look much better (even the

    wife
    > > says
    > > > so & she dont know what's playing) - i'm hoping it's the discs
    > > >
    > > > can anyone reccommend some good ones - cheap of course - thanx
    > > >

    > > £25 for 5?? you were robbed,

    > yeah i know - but the recorder didn't come with any an i had to have
    > something to play with on day 1 :eek:)
    >

    > try buying online and while you are at
    > > it buy a proper recorder.

    When I bought my standalone that didn't come with dvd's which really
    pissed me off. I picked up 5 philips dvdR for £17 which wasn't bad
    for a shop.

    Tell you one thing, went into PC world for a laugh, you should see
    the prices there, they are terrible.

    Matt

    trappeduser, Apr 4, 2004
  10. JethroUK©

    JethroUK© Guest

    "the dog from that film you saw"
    <> wrote in message

    > "JethroUK©" <> wrote in message
    >

    > > it has 6 recording rates (1-6 hours) - 4 spose to equal standard vhs - 6
    > > used to look flawless till i got pixel+ tv - now i have to record at 2+

    (2
    > > 1/2hours) to equal my 4hr video tapes (which still look near

    broadcast) -
    > > either my video is better than it should be or the discs aren't as good

    as
    > > they should be

    > that's not true at all - you do realise it's a digital signal on the

    dvds! -
    > it's not like with videotape.
    > the signal will be the same regardless of discs- the same stream of 1's

    and
    > 0's - other than if you are using faulty discs which won't give a worse
    > picture - they'll give none.

    so i'd imagine - but that being so, i always wondered why some cd players
    cost £50 and some cost £1000 when all they gotta do is process the same 1's
    & 0's - and more specifically why some discs are more expensive than others

    JethroUK©, Apr 4, 2004
  11. JethroUK©

    > "JethroUK©" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "trappeduser" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "JethroUK©" <> wrote in message

    frankly

    > wife
    > > > says

    > > > £25 for 5?? you were robbed,

    > > yeah i know - but the recorder didn't come with any an i had to have
    > > something to play with on day 1 :eek:)
    > >

    > > try buying online and while you are at
    > > > it buy a proper recorder.
    > > >

    > When I bought my standalone that didn't come with dvd's which really
    > pissed me off. I picked up 5 philips dvdR for £17 which wasn't bad
    > for a shop.
    >
    > Tell you one thing, went into PC world for a laugh, you should see
    > the prices there, they are terrible.
    >
    > Matt

    gonna try some phillips ones next time (always used to buy basf tapes, but
    dont think they're into dvd's) - do you know anywhere sells them cheap? i
    dont mind buying a few to get best price

    JethroUK©, Apr 4, 2004
  12. "JethroUK©" <> wrote in message

    > > that's not true at all - you do realise it's a digital signal on the

    > dvds! -
    > > it's not like with videotape.
    > > the signal will be the same regardless of discs- the same stream of 1's

    > and
    > > 0's - other than if you are using faulty discs which won't give a worse
    > > picture - they'll give none.
    > >

    > so i'd imagine - but that being so, i always wondered why some cd players
    > cost £50 and some cost £1000 when all they gotta do is process the same

    1's
    > & 0's - and more specifically why some discs are more expensive than

    others

    that's what happens AFTER the info has been extracted from the cd and turned
    into analogue info for the player and amp to process.
    to put it another way, if you use a top of the range super expensive floppy
    disc, would your word documents have a higher picture quality?

    the dog from that film you saw, Apr 4, 2004
  13. JethroUK©

    <> wrote in message

    > "JethroUK©" <> wrote in message
    >

    > > > that's not true at all - you do realise it's a digital signal on the

    > > dvds! -
    > > > it's not like with videotape.
    > > > the signal will be the same regardless of discs- the same stream of

    1's
    > > and
    > > > 0's - other than if you are using faulty discs which won't give a

    worse
    > > > picture - they'll give none.
    > > >

    > > so i'd imagine - but that being so, i always wondered why some cd

    players
    > > cost £50 and some cost £1000 when all they gotta do is process the same

    > 1's
    > > & 0's - and more specifically why some discs are more expensive than

    > others
    > >

    > that's what happens AFTER the info has been extracted from the cd and

    turned
    > into analogue info for the player and amp to process.
    > to put it another way, if you use a top of the range super expensive

    floppy
    > disc, would your word documents have a higher picture quality?

    nope - but a word document is pc file & with pc's, the dos checksums the
    file as a whole (to make sure it's the same file that was originally
    saved) - dunno how dvd's work, whether the binary checksums are per pixel or
    per frame or per chapter or per movie

    JethroUK©, Apr 4, 2004
  14. "JethroUK©" <> wrote in message

    > > that's what happens AFTER the info has been extracted from the cd and

    > turned
    > > into analogue info for the player and amp to process.
    > > to put it another way, if you use a top of the range super expensive

    > floppy
    > > disc, would your word documents have a higher picture quality?
    > >

    > nope - but a word document is pc file & with pc's, the dos checksums the
    > file as a whole (to make sure it's the same file that was originally
    > saved) - dunno how dvd's work, whether the binary checksums are per pixel

    or
    > per frame or per chapter or per movie

    you're going to have to trust us - there's no magic dvds out there that will
    improve your picture without changing settings on the dvd recorder.

    the fact that your dis-satisfaction began with the change to a different tv
    is a rather large clue too.

    the dog from that film you saw, Apr 4, 2004
  15. JethroUK©

    Martin Nike Guest

    > gonna try some phillips ones next time (always used to buy basf tapes, but
    > dont think they're into dvd's) - do you know anywhere sells them cheap? i
    > dont mind buying a few to get best price

    Cheap discs won't help your problem, but I've been using

    www.121cdr.com

    For some years now. I recently picked up some DVD+RW 4x from them for a few
    quid each, and they've worked fine on my PC's DVD Burner. Not sure how
    they'll work on a standalone burner.

    Martin Nike, Apr 4, 2004
  16. JethroUK©

    Frohike Guest

    "JethroUK©" <> wrote in message
    > i bought some 5 tdk discs with my recorder for £25 - and quite frankly
    > they're crap - my video tape recordings look much better (even the wife

    says
    > so & she dont know what's playing) - i'm hoping it's the discs
    >
    > can anyone reccommend some good ones - cheap of course - thanx

    TDK and Maxell are crap. Buy Verbatim, Phillips or Fujifilm.

    Frohike, Apr 5, 2004
  17. JethroUK©

    Pug Fugley Guest

    "Frohike" <> wrote in message
    > "JethroUK©" <> wrote in message
    > > i bought some 5 tdk discs with my recorder for £25 - and quite frankly
    > > they're crap - my video tape recordings look much better (even the wife

    > says
    > > so & she dont know what's playing) - i'm hoping it's the discs
    > >
    > > can anyone reccommend some good ones - cheap of course - thanx

    > TDK and Maxell are crap. Buy Verbatim, Phillips or Fujifilm.

    LOL! Most of them are made at the same factory, the only difference is the
    brand name put on them. How can one be better than the other???

    Pug Fugley, Apr 6, 2004
  18. > LOL! Most of them are made at the same factory, the only difference is
    > the brand name put on them. How can one be better than the other???

    Same way placebo from Dr A is better than placebo from Dr B... :-D

    Sammy Gravano, Apr 6, 2004
  19. JethroUK©

    Zygon Curry Guest

    On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 23:34:55 +0100, "JethroUK©" <>
    wrote:

    >can anyone reccommend some good ones - cheap of course - thanx

    I'd recommend TDK media all the time, including DVDs. TDK are the only
    ones I use and trust never had a problem with them

    I have on the other hand had many problems with other brands so don't
    touch them anymore.

    Zygon Curry, Apr 6, 2004
  20. JethroUK©

    The Artist Guest

    "Zygon Curry" emitted :

    >>can anyone reccommend some good ones - cheap of course - thanx

    >I'd recommend TDK media all the time, including DVDs. TDK are the only
    >ones I use and trust never had a problem with them

    It must be hardware dependant. In my machine TDK +RW discs are noisy,
    with *very* occasional pixelation or jumping caused by mis-read.
    Imations on the other hand are quiet and trouble free.

    --
    S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

    The Artist, Apr 6, 2004