DVD/RW cannot 'read' commercial DVD. Any ideas?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Sumgod, Feb 9, 2007.

  1. Sumgod

    Sumgod Guest

    Hiya and thanks for reading this.

    Briefly: Got Dylan's No Direction Home DVD (Region 2) at Christmas.

    Yesterday tried to play it on the pc (Dell 8300) via a usb DVD/RW (LG DVDRRW
    GSA-2416D - set to Region 2) but got nowhere.

    Simply, the dics does not 'load' at all., i.e. cannot be viewed in Windows
    Explorer.

    I assume (but don't know) that this is some sort of copy protection
    (Sony/Viacom/Paramount/LG in cahoots????).

    The Dylan DVD plays on our TV via a Sony hard disc recorder. Also, another
    Dylan DVD (Masked & Anonymous) plays ok on the pc (this is not Sony though).

    Out of annoyance I tried a series of programmes (AnyDVD, DVDShrink,
    DVDDecrypter, PowerDVD) to see if they would recognise the DVD disc. All I
    ever got was "there is no disc present".

    Finally tried the DVD on the missus' new Dell laptop (DVDROM) and it played
    straight away.

    So.............now I plan to copy the DVD across to a mobile hard disc,
    transfer it onto this pc and then copy it (er...........I mean, back it up
    of course) onto this pc.

    Those are the details.

    The question is: Why doesn't the LG DVD/RW resognise the DVD disc?

    Cheers - Chris

    Sumgod, Feb 9, 2007