    DVD-RWs and DVD+RWs, knowbody really knows the technical difference......

    Please tell me that I am wrong!

    Hans
    Hans, Feb 1, 2006

  2. Hans

    old jon Guest

    "Hans" <> wrote in message
    news:tb8Ef.6861$...
    >I have come to the sad conclusion that even though everybody talks about
    >DVD-RWs and DVD+RWs, knowbody really knows the technical difference......
    >
    > Please tell me that I am wrong!
    >
    > Hans

    Can I refer you to this site Hans, excellent for all things associated with
    Video, including DVD.
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvd

    --
    bw..OJ
    old jon, Feb 1, 2006

  3. "old jon" <> wrote in message

    > "Hans" <> wrote in message
    >>I have come to the sad conclusion that even though everybody talks about
    >>DVD-RWs and DVD+RWs, knowbody really knows the technical difference......
    >>
    >> Please tell me that I am wrong!
    >>
    >> Hans
    >>

    > Can I refer you to this site Hans, excellent for all things associated
    > with
    > Video, including DVD.
    > http://www.videohelp.com/dvd
    >
    > --
    > bw..OJ

    Nice site but explains nothing - just a catalogue of what different disks
    might be. What is the actual difference between + and - disks? Does + mean
    it has something - doesn't?
    Geoff Pearson, Feb 1, 2006
  4. Hans

    FML Guest

    Hans wrote:
    > I have come to the sad conclusion that even though everybody talks about
    > DVD-RWs and DVD+RWs, knowbody really knows the technical difference......
    >
    > Please tell me that I am wrong!
    >
    > Hans

    You are wrong! :)
    FML, Feb 1, 2006
  5. Hans

    Marty Guest

    Becasue it's an optical medium there are mirror images.

    eg in chemistry you get molecules which should be the same but are differnet
    because they are mirror images (thalidomide being the most famous example of
    optical isomerism) likewise when writing to a disk it can the same
    information can be written two ways + - which makes a differnece to the
    device reading it. Myself I would look for a device capable of writing +
    and -. however neither is superior or inferior, on the other hand the market
    place may have more of one than the other and so for ease of use ie making a
    disk for someone else it may be better to have one over the other think
    betamax and vhs both allow you to watch VCR but are not compatable and
    having VHS was the best option becasue of sheer numbers

    Marty, Feb 1, 2006
  6. Hans

    Guest

    Not to long ago someone here gave a good explanation of the
    differences.
    I believe it was stated that the -rw meant that you had to wipe out the
    entire disk each time you wanted to use it.
    The +rw is a newer format which does not a clean sweep.
    So what you do is get yourself a machine that can handle it all and go
    which ever way you want.

    But what you really really want to use is DVD RAM.
    Same use as your little old floppy disk.
    Just a bigger version of it.
    , Feb 1, 2006
  7. Hans

    PC Guest

    "Hans" <> wrote in message
    >I have come to the sad conclusion that even though everybody talks about
    >DVD-RWs and DVD+RWs, knowbody really knows the technical difference......
    >
    > Please tell me that I am wrong!
    >
    > Hans

    Hans

    May I ask what 'you' mean by "technical difference"
    Or do you mean 'practical' difference?

    I think you will find the full blown 'technical' differences are very hard
    to come by and basically irrelevant to 90+% of users.
    What most people want to know is the 'practical' differences.

    If I may draw an analogy it's like asking why nobody really knows the
    technical difference between a two brands of 4 cylinder 2 Litre car motors.
    For example block weight, crankshaft main bearing size, clearance between
    the rings and lands on a standard piston, Oil pressure at idle, ........
    Practically most people want to know how much power is gives, is it
    reliable, can I get bits for it easily.

    Coming back to DVD -+RW the 'technical' differences between the two
    standards is in how the data is recorded in a 'logical' sense to the disk.
    i.e. where in the TOC (table of contents) to they record the file names,
    what algorithim do they use to error correct the data when it is encoded
    before burning, do they write big endian or little endian data... and so on
    all very interesting to the Engineers creating the technology.

    Its worth noting they both use the same melt/burn dye technology at a
    physical level.

    If you really do want to get the 'technical details' then you will have to
    join one of the DVD forums and pay their membership fee's.
    Example http://www.dvdforum.org/forum.shtml Be prepared to spend lots of $
    to get the information.
    (I followed one of the links to http://www.dvdfllc.co.jp/ where the words
    'non disclosure agreement $5000' leapt out at me)

    On the other hand the 'practical' differences between - and + standards come
    down to compatibilty, speed, capacity, price and supply.
    Compatibilty - Older DVD readers can struggle to read either standard of RW
    disk because of the lower reflectivity of the dye used.
    - And (obviously) a single standard burner will only
    write to it's standard.
    - Software incompatibilites are more of an issue than
    standards, ie use Roxio then switch to Nero's InCD will it will likely
    choke.
    Speed - Remembering DVD data rates are roughly 9 times faster at x 1 any way
    (compared to CDR @ 150 Kb/s for x1) so even a 4 x burner is going to rip
    through the data. The last DVD burner I bought can do 16 x when the disks
    become available. To be quite candid at that rate only the very well heeled
    will be able to afford a machine capable of that rate of data transfer.
    Capacity - Well both standards do do single layer, but at this point the
    dual layer drives seem to only do R disks not RW.
    Price - Either or, no difference from what I can tell.

    Hope this helps
    Paul.
    PC, Feb 1, 2006
  8. Hans

    Hans Guest

    Thank you Paul!

    your answer was informative, indeed...........

    I am a bit overwhelmed, but I guess I asked for it.

    Hans

    Hans, Feb 2, 2006
  9. Hans

    Plato Guest