    cheers
    john
    @myplace.co.nz

    Epsom, Surry, Jul 20, 2005

  2. Epsom, Surry wrote:
    > I'm in the uk and have purchased a dvd rom...
    > I can only change regions 4 times before it locks...
    > does any one know the hack for samsung dvd roms?
    > how come brotown runs on region 2 but not whalerider?

    dvd genie?

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 20, 2005

  3. Epsom, Surry wrote:
    > I'm in the uk and have purchased a dvd rom...
    > I can only change regions 4 times before it locks...
    > does any one know the hack for samsung dvd roms?
    > how come brotown runs on region 2 but not whalerider?

    DVD Genie suggested by Dave only takes care of the software side of
    things (I personally use a free DVD player that has no such limitations).

    The best solution IMO is to flash your drive to be RPC-1. See
    http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php for firmware for your drive.

    Brotown (which I am just going to comment on brieftly... absolute shit!)
    is probably multi-region (2,4, and possibly more). DVD region coding
    is not mutually exclusive.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Jul 20, 2005
  4. "Epsom, Surry" <> wrote in message
    > I'm in the uk and have purchased a dvd rom...
    > I can only change regions 4 times before it locks...
    > does any one know the hack for samsung dvd roms?
    > how come brotown runs on region 2 but not whalerider?
    >
    > cheers
    > john
    > @myplace.co.nz

    Heres your solution....

    http://tinyurl.com/2rfwr

    Brotown runs on region 2 since it was coded to do so, while Whalerider was
    not.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Jul 20, 2005
  5. I think software called Anydvd will work. This is a software solution.

    Andrei Sharko, Jul 21, 2005
  6. On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 12:12:16 +1200, "Andrei Sharko"
    <> wrote:

    >I think software called Anydvd will work.

    I second that. AnyDVD just seems to work better for me than the
    others. It could be my fault that I didnt have as much success with
    anything else but I found AnyDVD did what I wanted and gave up on the
    alternatives.

    Canon Paora Tikitiki, Jul 21, 2005
  7. Epsom, Surry

    SCCC Guest

    Epsom, Surry wrote:
    > I'm in the uk and have purchased a dvd rom...
    > I can only change regions 4 times before it locks...
    > does any one know the hack for samsung dvd roms?
    > how come brotown runs on region 2 but not whalerider?
    >
    > cheers
    > john
    > @myplace.co.nz

    There aer almost no hacks except firmwares that you risk stuffing your
    drive with. Especially as some of the manufacturer's firmware tools for
    Mediatek chipsets are crap.

    SCCC, Jul 21, 2005
  8. Epsom, Surry

    SCCC Guest

    Andrei Sharko wrote:
    > I think software called Anydvd will work. This is a software solution.
    >
    > "Epsom, Surry" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I'm in the uk and have purchased a dvd rom...
    >>I can only change regions 4 times before it locks...
    >>does any one know the hack for samsung dvd roms?
    >>how come brotown runs on region 2 but not whalerider?
    >>
    >>cheers
    >>john
    >>@myplace.co.nz

    Most of the softwares are very version dependent
    - PowerDVD 4 is fine but 5 may not be
    - Nero Showtime is not supported by any of the free stuff yet.

    SCCC, Jul 21, 2005
  9. SCCC wrote:
    > Epsom, Surry wrote:
    >
    >> I'm in the uk and have purchased a dvd rom...
    >> I can only change regions 4 times before it locks...
    >> does any one know the hack for samsung dvd roms?
    >> how come brotown runs on region 2 but not whalerider?
    >>
    >> cheers
    >> john
    >> @myplace.co.nz

    > There aer almost no hacks except firmwares that you risk stuffing your
    > drive with. Especially as some of the manufacturer's firmware tools for
    > Mediatek chipsets are crap.

    The upgrade is easy, the risks are small, and you could take it back
    under the CGA and argue that the user flashing the drive to remove
    region coding was entirely within the expectations of both the seller
    and the purchaser. I've upgraded all my drives, removed region coding,
    and everybody I've ever talked to about it has flashed theirs.

    Software solutions aren't good enough... too many operating systems,
    just flash the drive as RPC1 and never think about it again.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Jul 21, 2005
  10. Epsom, Surry

    Epsom, Surry Guest

    On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 08:11:20 +1200, The Other Guy <>
    wrote:

    >The best solution IMO is to flash your drive to be RPC-1. See
    >http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php for firmware for your drive.

    great, worked!
    flashed the hardware...

    good ole nz.comp, still the most effect resourse on the net for a
    quick solution

    Epsom, Surry, Jul 21, 2005
  11. In article <>, The Other Guy <>
    wrote:

    >Brotown (which I am just going to comment on brieftly... absolute shit!)

    Better than "Popetown". :)

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 21, 2005
  12. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >>Brotown (which I am just going to comment on brieftly... absolute shit!)

    > Better than "Popetown". :)

    it's a matter of opinion... I much prefer popetown, but don't really
    like either.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 21, 2005
  13. Epsom, Surry

    Tom Guest

    I prefer DVDIdle Pro, because it removes all DVD protections including
    region coding of both DVD rom and viewing software. It even allows me to
    copy DVDs if I want to. I never have problem with DVDIdle Pro. There is no
    reason to take the risk of flashing the drive.

    Tom, Jul 21, 2005
  14. Epsom, Surry

    Epsom, Surry Guest

    On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 09:16:54 +1200, "Tom"
    <> wrote:

    >I prefer DVDIdle Pro, because it removes all DVD protections including
    >region coding of both DVD rom and viewing software. It even allows me to
    >copy DVDs if I want to. I never have problem with DVDIdle Pro. There is no
    >reason to take the risk of flashing the drive.

    $50 US, a bit expensive isn't it?

    Epsom, Surry, Jul 21, 2005
  15. Tom wrote:
    > I prefer DVDIdle Pro, because it removes all DVD protections including
    > region coding of both DVD rom and viewing software. It even allows me to
    > copy DVDs if I want to. I never have problem with DVDIdle Pro. There is no
    > reason to take the risk of flashing the drive.

    There is no real reason not to. If like me you're booting multiple
    operating systems on your boxes, or want to play with one of the open
    source movie watching and PRV distributions, then flashing your drive is
    the only option.

    I don't want a drive that doesn't work in FreeBSD or to have to install
    some third party software after having reinstalled Windows.

    Flash and forget.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Jul 21, 2005
  16. Epsom, Surry

    Tom Guest

    Download a free copy from one of the warez sites.

    Tom, Jul 21, 2005
  17. Epsom, Surry wrote:
    > $50 US, a bit expensive isn't it?

    I just assumed it was free. In the *highly* unlikely event that one does
    bugger up their drive while flashing it, the replacement cost is *much*
    less than $US50. You can have a dual layer DVD writer for that!

    Tom, do you edit the registry by hand or are you scared off by those
    warnings about how you could potentially break something? The risks of
    flashing your hardware are tiny, and even then it is unlikely to be the
    flashing process that causes a problem. Power failure or OS crashes are
    the biggest risk.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Jul 21, 2005
  18. Epsom, Surry

    Brendan Guest

    On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 09:34:44 +1200, The Other Guy wrote:

    > Tom wrote:
    >> I prefer DVDIdle Pro, because it removes all DVD protections including
    >> region coding of both DVD rom and viewing software. It even allows me to
    >> copy DVDs if I want to. I never have problem with DVDIdle Pro. There is no
    >> reason to take the risk of flashing the drive.

    > There is no real reason not to. If like me you're booting multiple
    > operating systems on your boxes, or want to play with one of the open
    > source movie watching and PRV distributions, then flashing your drive is
    > the only option.
    >
    > I don't want a drive that doesn't work in FreeBSD or to have to install
    > some third party software after having reinstalled Windows.
    >
    > Flash and forget.
    >
    > The Other Guy

    i have flashed mine with an RPC II firmware that has been hacked to forget
    it's region setting counter on each reboot.

    Apparently this is a better idea than rpc 1, as apparently some software
    detects RPC 1 (windows for example...) and keeps it's OWN list of region
    changes so you cannot change it more than 4 times.

    When will this madness end ?

    --

    .... Brendan

    #10372 +(3758)- [X]

    <Charlesowns> Man i was surfin porn and like "normal" surfin at the same
    time, so my mom comes in and i quick as hell tab down the porn. So now im
    looking at a SWAT vest and an Mp5 submachinegun trying to hide the giant
    penis in my pants. Then all of a sudden this realy gay male voice speaks
    out realy loud goin "i want to suck your big dick ans swallow your hot
    sperm" then like 100 popups open up all consisting of hardcore fetish
    gayporn.
    <Charlesowns> man my mom started crying and now she thinks im gay... it
    owns

    Note: All my comments are copyright 22/07/2005 2:14:40 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Jul 22, 2005
  19. Brendan wrote:
    > i have flashed mine with an RPC II firmware that has been hacked to forget
    > it's region setting counter on each reboot.
    >
    > Apparently this is a better idea than rpc 1, as apparently some software
    > detects RPC 1 (windows for example...) and keeps it's OWN list of region
    > changes so you cannot change it more than 4 times.
    >
    > When will this madness end ?

    I favour the RPC1 option because this is how all DVD drives were
    originally. The region protection was implemented in software only and
    is easy to get around in most cases using DVD Genie or similar. In my
    case I use VideoLAN to watch DVDs, and that does not check region codes
    at all.

    RPCII means you have to think about region coding if you are using a lot
    of disks (or rarely reboot/shutdown). I prefer everything to just work,
    which it does without fault with RPC1.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Jul 22, 2005
  20. Epsom, Surry

    Brendan Guest

    On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:58:23 +1200, The Other Guy wrote:

    >> i have flashed mine with an RPC II firmware that has been hacked to forget
    >> it's region setting counter on each reboot.
    >>
    >> Apparently this is a better idea than rpc 1, as apparently some software
    >> detects RPC 1 (windows for example...) and keeps it's OWN list of region
    >> changes so you cannot change it more than 4 times.
    >>
    >> When will this madness end ?

    > I favour the RPC1 option because this is how all DVD drives were
    > originally. The region protection was implemented in software only and
    > is easy to get around in most cases using DVD Genie or similar. In my
    > case I use VideoLAN to watch DVDs, and that does not check region codes
    > at all.
    >
    > RPCII means you have to think about region coding if you are using a lot
    > of disks (or rarely reboot/shutdown). I prefer everything to just work,
    > which it does without fault with RPC1.

    Fair enough.

    But if I was to use RPC1 (apparently, not tested it myself), Windows would
    keep track of region changes. It looks for that sort of thing. No extra
    software like DVD Genie needed.

    With the hacked RPC2, windows says "it's doing it itself" and is then hands
    off.

    It's all pretty irrelevant anyhow, as I do not play DVD VIDEO on my PC (I
    use a modded XBOX with XBMC). The only time a put a movie in the pc DVD
    drive is when I think I want to back it up.

    At those times I use DVD Decrypter, which might then note that an
    out-region disk has been inserted. I then tell it to 'brute force' the
    encryption, which maybe add's about 3 seconds to the rip. I rip to ISO.

    I then load the ISO into DVD Shrink, and have it strip all protection from
    it. Including that fucking annoying macrovision. And make it Region free.
    Into an ISO it goes, and burn it with DVD Decrypter.

    Result: Disk with superior playback (no macrovision) and compatibility (no
    zoning) that will work on most DVD players (I use +R with booktype set to
    dvd-rom).

    Obviously, as this takes 20 to 40 minutes, I only do it for films worth the
    effort. Very seldom in other words...

    The modded xbox has two programs that automatically strip macrovision on
    playback too. I use these in preference because I pass the xbox signal
    through the VCR. E.g. I can play rental DVD's without macrovision. Region
    coding - don't know (pretty pointless as any zone 1 dvd's are likely
    already pirated as xvid, which the modded xbox plays anyhow, and all old
    zone 1 dvd's can be handled permanently for anyone using dvd
    decryptor/shrink).

    --

    .... Brendan

    #14207 +(4402)- [X]