DVD-ROM ejects DVD discs

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by strive, Jul 9, 2004.

  1. strive

    strive Guest

    Greets to everybody!

    I have a really annoying problem, and it concerns my
    Pioneer DVD-106S drive.

    Now, the firmware of the drive is the latest one I can
    get, and it is version 1.22. 'till today, i was able to watch
    and backup all kinds of DVDs, both R1 and R2.No problem
    whatsoever! But today I got an original R1 disc,
    and after I load the disc into the 106S, the green led on
    the 'aparatus' blinks couple of times, and then the disc gets
    ejected. Now, to be precise... the disc wouldn't even spin-up!

    I have searched a lot of forums (doom9, forum.rpc1 etc etc)
    for any help for me to solve this problem. But, unfortunately
    couldn't find anything!

    I have also tried various ripping programs (DVDdecrypter,
    Smartripper, vstrip, DVD Region+CSS Free etc etc) but all
    of these programs are either not recognizing the discs, or they
    eject the disc in the same manner as if I would try to browse
    the contents of the disc in Explorer, or trying to watch the movie
    in PowerDVD of WinDVD...

    Just to meniton that discs are scratch-free, dust-free... etc.

    All of my older DVDs are playing fine.No prob, whatsoever.
    (both R1 and R2, even R3)

    I am doubting that there is some kind of 'new protection'
    for the DVDs.I even doubt of some kind of software that
    is on the DVDs, so when you put in a DVD disc into a
    PC DVD-ROM, DVD disc (software on it) somehow
    recognizes the 'PC', and it somehow ejects the disc.
    (similar to the 'enhanced audio cd' protection... the software
    player that is on these 'copy protected' audio CDs)

    Please, any help would be much appreciated!

    Cheers!
    strive, Jul 9, 2004

  2. >I have a really annoying problem, and it concerns my
    >Pioneer DVD-106S drive.

    Check the drive by using single layer DVDs and dual layer DVDs.

    The drive may work fine with single layer discs but may not recognize dual
    layer discs anymore.

    It would help if you told us which discs are working and which aren't.

    >(similar to the 'enhanced audio cd' protection... the software
    >player that is on these 'copy protected' audio CDs)

    Enhanced CDs employ a second session which contains computer information,
    usually extras like music scripts and small games related to the album. It is
    still possible to copy the music from enhanced CDs on your computer with little
    or no difficulty.

    You may be thinking about Sony's copy protection, which can be defeated by
    placing a mark with a marker on a specific location on the irridescent side of
    the disc. - Reinhart
    LASERandDVDfan, Jul 9, 2004

  3. strive

    strive Guest

    > Check the drive by using single layer DVDs and dual layer DVDs.

    Did that, m8.Still, every single DVD works, except these two.
    (the DVD contains 2 discs).

    > The drive may work fine with single layer discs but may not recognize dual
    > layer discs anymore.

    As I said, have a couple of both... single, and dual, and they work ok.

    > It would help if you told us which discs are working and which aren't.

    :) They both work.

    > Enhanced CDs employ a second session which contains computer information,
    > usually extras like music scripts and small games related to the album.

    It is
    > still possible to copy the music from enhanced CDs on your computer with

    little
    > or no difficulty.

    Yup, know that, and did backup my recent audio cds, no prob.

    > You may be thinking about Sony's copy protection, which can be defeated by
    > placing a mark with a marker on a specific location on the irridescent

    side of
    > the disc.

    No, I though why wouldn't they put a little soft app on every newly released
    DVD, which starts automatically upon inserting DVD either into a standalone
    or a computer DVD ROM.Of course, a standalone will be recognized, and the
    DVD will play no prob.But when you insert it into a PC DVD ROM drive,
    app automatically ejects the DVD.I mean, that's what would explain a couple
    of seconds of green light blinking when i insert them into my Pioneer PC DVD
    ROM.

    Anyway, this is just a theory, but... it could be done, right? :))

    And they are still only MPAA and RIAA. So, why wouldn't they?

    :))
    strive, Jul 9, 2004
  4. strive

    Biz Guest

    "strive" <> wrote in message news:ccmm5k$5k8$...
    > Greets to everybody!
    >
    > I have a really annoying problem, and it concerns my
    > Pioneer DVD-106S drive.
    >
    > Now, the firmware of the drive is the latest one I can
    > get, and it is version 1.22. 'till today, i was able to watch
    > and backup all kinds of DVDs, both R1 and R2.No problem
    > whatsoever! But today I got an original R1 disc,
    > and after I load the disc into the 106S, the green led on
    > the 'aparatus' blinks couple of times, and then the disc gets
    > ejected. Now, to be precise... the disc wouldn't even spin-up!
    >
    > I have searched a lot of forums (doom9, forum.rpc1 etc etc)
    > for any help for me to solve this problem. But, unfortunately
    > couldn't find anything!
    >
    > I have also tried various ripping programs (DVDdecrypter,
    > Smartripper, vstrip, DVD Region+CSS Free etc etc) but all
    > of these programs are either not recognizing the discs, or they
    > eject the disc in the same manner as if I would try to browse
    > the contents of the disc in Explorer, or trying to watch the movie
    > in PowerDVD of WinDVD...
    >
    > Just to meniton that discs are scratch-free, dust-free... etc.
    >
    > All of my older DVDs are playing fine.No prob, whatsoever.
    > (both R1 and R2, even R3)
    >
    > I am doubting that there is some kind of 'new protection'
    > for the DVDs.I even doubt of some kind of software that
    > is on the DVDs, so when you put in a DVD disc into a
    > PC DVD-ROM, DVD disc (software on it) somehow
    > recognizes the 'PC', and it somehow ejects the disc.
    > (similar to the 'enhanced audio cd' protection... the software
    > player that is on these 'copy protected' audio CDs)
    >
    > Please, any help would be much appreciated!
    >
    > Cheers!

    Did you think about the fact that you might just have a bad disk, if all
    your others are working fine?
    Biz, Jul 9, 2004
  5. strive

    strive Guest

    > Did you think about the fact that you might just have a bad disk, if all
    > your others are working fine?

    Of course, m8... I did! And that isn't the case here. :(

    I got my hand on another NEW DVD release, and the same
    probleme again. Older releases work fine, only the new ones
    get ejected. Tried it on Ricoh DVD+R device too, and the
    problem is somewhat the same... except, with Ricoh DVD
    disc is not ejected, but explorer freezes, and other programs
    report 'no disc inserted' or some I/O error or 'bad media'.
    strive, Jul 10, 2004
  6. strive

    Biz Guest

    What R1 title is it? Perhaps its the 1st one you have come across with RCE
    on it.

    Biz, Jul 10, 2004
  7. strive

    strive Guest

    > What R1 title is it?

    Some Easy-E documentary. R1.

    Perhaps its the 1st one you have come across with RCE
    > on it.

    Now we are talking. Q: what is RCE? New protection?
    I mean, since I have no prob playing older R1 releases.
    In fact, all of them play without problems.
    strive, Jul 10, 2004
  8. strive

    Biz Guest

    "strive" <> wrote in message news:ccok37$n1g$...
    > > What R1 title is it?

    > Some Easy-E documentary. R1.

    Some Easy-E documentary does not help me look it up and tell you if it has
    RCE encoding on it. SInce you want to be vague I'll guess you'll have to
    llok it up yourself. R1 disks have been using RCE protection for a few
    years now, but not all titles use it.
    Biz, Jul 10, 2004
  9. On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 13:20:11 +0200, "strive" <> wrote:

    >> What R1 title is it?

    >Some Easy-E documentary. R1.
    >
    >Perhaps its the 1st one you have come across with RCE
    >> on it.

    >Now we are talking. Q: what is RCE? New protection?
    >I mean, since I have no prob playing older R1 releases.
    >In fact, all of them play without problems.

    RCE is a bit of a hack, it's a lookup for the type of region
    protection the player has. It will cause all-region players to eject
    the disc, and since you said your player handles both R1 and R2 it is
    therefore all-region. That's your problem. You need to flash the
    firmaware to a fixed region again, though there MAY be some software
    to get around that. Have you tried using DVDgenie to set the DVD-rom
    to region 1 - force it to be region 1 only?

    Steve..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Jul 11, 2004
  10. strive

    strive Guest

    > RCE is a bit of a hack, it's a lookup for the type of region
    > protection the player has. It will cause all-region players to eject
    > the disc, and since you said your player handles both R1 and R2 it is
    > therefore all-region. That's your problem.

    Well, that just might do the trick. As I said, the older releases
    either R1 or R2 work fine, only newer seem to cause problems.

    You need to flash the
    > firmaware to a fixed region again,

    Hmm... dunno if there is a 'fixed region' firmware for my Pioneer.
    Will check it out on the firmware page.

    though there MAY be some software
    > to get around that. Have you tried using DVDgenie to set the DVD-rom
    > to region 1 - force it to be region 1 only?

    Yup.I even tried to set the region within windows, in device manager,
    but still it didn't work.Tried also setting the region in PowerDVD, and
    that didn't help either.
    strive, Jul 11, 2004
  11. On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 12:26:12 +0200, "strive" <> wrote:

    >> RCE is a bit of a hack, it's a lookup for the type of region
    >> protection the player has. It will cause all-region players to eject
    >> the disc, and since you said your player handles both R1 and R2 it is
    >> therefore all-region. That's your problem.

    >Well, that just might do the trick. As I said, the older releases
    >either R1 or R2 work fine, only newer seem to cause problems.
    >
    >You need to flash the
    >> firmaware to a fixed region again,

    >Hmm... dunno if there is a 'fixed region' firmware for my Pioneer.
    >Will check it out on the firmware page.

    It's the official Pioneer firmware you need, from Pioneer. However,
    having said all this, I must say that my old all-region Creative
    DVD-rom accepts RCE discs ok, not my Pioneer though.

    . Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Jul 11, 2004

    > > > What R1 title is it?

    > > Some Easy-E documentary. R1.

    > Some Easy-E documentary does not help me look it up and tell you if it has
    > RCE encoding on it. SInce you want to be vague I'll guess you'll have to
    > llok it up yourself. R1 disks have been using RCE protection for a few
    > years now, but not all titles use it.

    And indeed, not all distributors. AFAIK, no new releases are adopting it,
    because it wasn't 100% successful, and besides, it can be got around on most
    region free players where it did work.

    Ian.
    Electric Fan Club, Jul 12, 2004
  13. "Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 12:26:12 +0200, "strive" <> wrote:
    >

    > >> RCE is a bit of a hack, it's a lookup for the type of region
    > >> protection the player has. It will cause all-region players to eject
    > >> the disc, and since you said your player handles both R1 and R2 it is
    > >> therefore all-region. That's your problem.

    > >Well, that just might do the trick. As I said, the older releases
    > >either R1 or R2 work fine, only newer seem to cause problems.
    > >
    > >You need to flash the
    > >> firmaware to a fixed region again,

    > >Hmm... dunno if there is a 'fixed region' firmware for my Pioneer.
    > >Will check it out on the firmware page.

    > It's the official Pioneer firmware you need, from Pioneer. However,
    > having said all this, I must say that my old all-region Creative
    > DVD-rom accepts RCE discs ok, not my Pioneer though.

    Or download DVDRegionFree and completely cut through the whole problem.

    Ian.
    Electric Fan Club, Jul 12, 2004
  14. strive

    strive Guest

    > Or download DVDRegionFree and completely cut through the whole problem.

    Tried that too! Didn't work!
    strive, Jul 12, 2004