DVD ROM drives

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Patrick Dunford, Jul 9, 2004.

  1. What is needed in additional hardware / software to get an external video
    output and 5.1 sound from a DVDROM drive?
    Patrick Dunford, Jul 9, 2004

  2. Patrick Dunford

    Paul Guest

    A 6 channel soundcard and 5:1 speakers and a video
    card with TV out if you want it to go to TV. This
    may or may not work. Depending on what videocard
    and drivers you get for it. Nvidia drivers can or will stop
    you from connecting to the TV, thru the video out on a videocard due to copy
    protection from the DVD. So, even tho you may not want to copy to video or
    something. It may not let you anyway.

    Software like Powerdvd will let you watch DVD's in Windows. And depending on
    which version Windows you have/use, if you use XP without some kind of
    program to make it region-free for the DVD. Make
    sure you don't use Zone 1 for DVD or other too many
    times. It'll lock the DVD at that region after 4-5 times
    of playing another Zone DVD. If you use a P4, then
    DVD's should be smooth and play OK.

    Paul, Jul 12, 2004

  3. Patrick Dunford

    geoffm Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 21:11:00 +1200, "Paul" <> wrote:

    >Software like Powerdvd will let you watch DVD's in Windows. And depending on
    >which version Windows you have/use, if you use XP without some kind of
    >program to make it region-free for the DVD. Make
    >sure you don't use Zone 1 for DVD or other too many
    >times. It'll lock the DVD at that region after 4-5 times
    >of playing another Zone DVD. If you use a P4, then
    >DVD's should be smooth and play OK.

    There re a number of region free hacks around (DVD genie, DVD region
    free being 2) that bypass the DVD region code lock. Also look around
    for the firmware hacks site, whose address escapes me, to bypass the
    inbuilt DVD region lock. I am waiting for the Dell warrenty to expire
    before the NEC DVD drive becomes dual format and region free.
    Geoff
    geoffm, Jul 12, 2004
  4. On 12 Jul 2004 17:47:27 -0500, geoffm
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 21:11:00 +1200, "Paul" <> wrote:
    >

    >>Software like Powerdvd will let you watch DVD's in Windows. And depending on
    >>which version Windows you have/use, if you use XP without some kind of
    >>program to make it region-free for the DVD. Make
    >>sure you don't use Zone 1 for DVD or other too many
    >>times. It'll lock the DVD at that region after 4-5 times
    >>of playing another Zone DVD. If you use a P4, then
    >>DVD's should be smooth and play OK.

    > There re a number of region free hacks around (DVD genie, DVD region
    >free being 2) that bypass the DVD region code lock. Also look around
    >for the firmware hacks site, whose address escapes me, to bypass the
    >inbuilt DVD region lock. I am waiting for the Dell warrenty to expire
    >before the NEC DVD drive becomes dual format and region free.
    >Geoff

    Foy my Asus drive, all I had to do was put a jumper on an undocumented
    pair of pins on the back panel.
    Stephen Worthington, Jul 13, 2004
  5. Patrick Dunford

    GraB Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 00:25:39 +1200, Stephen Worthington
    <> wrote:

    >On 12 Jul 2004 17:47:27 -0500, geoffm
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 21:11:00 +1200, "Paul" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Software like Powerdvd will let you watch DVD's in Windows. And depending on
    >>>which version Windows you have/use, if you use XP without some kind of
    >>>program to make it region-free for the DVD. Make
    >>>sure you don't use Zone 1 for DVD or other too many
    >>>times. It'll lock the DVD at that region after 4-5 times
    >>>of playing another Zone DVD. If you use a P4, then
    >>>DVD's should be smooth and play OK.

    >> There re a number of region free hacks around (DVD genie, DVD region
    >>free being 2) that bypass the DVD region code lock. Also look around
    >>for the firmware hacks site, whose address escapes me, to bypass the
    >>inbuilt DVD region lock. I am waiting for the Dell warrenty to expire
    >>before the NEC DVD drive becomes dual format and region free.
    >>Geoff

    >Foy my Asus drive, all I had to do was put a jumper on an undocumented
    >pair of pins on the back panel.

    You must have the E612? There is region free firmware for the E616.
    GraB, Jul 14, 2004
  6. On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 16:52:28 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

    >>Foy my Asus drive, all I had to do was put a jumper on an undocumented
    >>pair of pins on the back panel.

    >You must have the E612? There is region free firmware for the E616.

    Yes, it is an E612.
    Stephen Worthington, Jul 14, 2004
  7. Patrick Dunford

    geoffm Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 16:52:28 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

    >You must have the E612? There is region free firmware for the E616.

    Or (IIRC) hold dow the buttons on the front when booting up to reset
    the count.
    Geoff
    geoffm, Jul 15, 2004
  8. Patrick Dunford

    GraB Guest

    On 15 Jul 2004 01:01:14 -0500, geoffm
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 16:52:28 +1200, GraB <> wrote:
    >

    >>You must have the E612? There is region free firmware for the E616.

    > Or (IIRC) hold dow the buttons on the front when booting up to reset
    >the count.
    >Geoff

    I was wondering if that still works in the more recent versions on the
    E616 given that I had spotted a region free firmware for it. Though I
    have the E612, I was looking at passing it on to another PC and
    getting the E616.
    GraB, Jul 15, 2004