DVD-ROM doesn't see DVDs, See's CDs, Thinkpad 600E..?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by TheNIGHTCRAWLER, Jan 6, 2006.

  1. I'm nearly "done" with this. As it's a freebie, I'll ask before I let
    it go.

    Windows 2000 pro service pack 4.
    ThinkPad laptop 600E 2645-8mu
    DVD-ROM is Matshita DVD-ROM SR-8171 (Panasonic)
    BIOS is current - checked.

    Uninstalled and re-installed w/out removiving atapi drive.
    Loaded Power DVD 5.0.
    Updated DirectX9c

    Swapping drives out for hardware failure check today.

    Drive doesn't read/recognize DVD disk, no substitute drivers found via
    panasonic. IBM has no drivers available, and offers only "update"
    software for suitable decoders. I won't even go into the world of DVD +
    - or formats on this. Explorer doesn't recognize the disk unless it's a
    Non-DVD data disk.

    Last change was finepix by Fuji. Hotbar was in the mix. Exif launcher
    was there as well.

    Finished with CPR. Unless....

    TheNIGHTCRAWLER
    (Nope, pretty much done aside from a hardware swap check. Unable to
    check driver with current IBM support for unit.)
    TheNIGHTCRAWLER, Jan 6, 2006

  2. On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 02:34:25 -0800, TheNIGHTCRAWLER wrote:

    > I'm nearly "done" with this. As it's a freebie, I'll ask before I let
    > it go.

    What do you mean by "doesn't recognize" the disk? Have you tried opening
    Windows Explorer and seeing if the DVD is there; if so have you tried
    opening it and examining the contents?

    If you're able to get that far but not able to open the DVD program,
    possibly your software doesn't have CSS decoding. (It would probably have
    told you there was a problem with that when you tried to run the program.)
    If you don't get an error message to that effect, you might try finding
    the Windows version of the CSS codec and installing it. (I didn't say
    that, since possession of same is technically illegal.)
    Gary G. Taylor, Jan 8, 2006

  3. "Gary G. Taylor" <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 02:34:25 -0800, TheNIGHTCRAWLER wrote:
    >
    >> I'm nearly "done" with this. As it's a freebie, I'll ask before I let
    >> it go.

    >What do you mean by "doesn't recognize" the disk? Have you tried opening
    >Windows Explorer and seeing if the DVD is there; if so have you tried
    >opening it and examining the contents?
    >
    >If you're able to get that far but not able to open the DVD program,
    >possibly your software doesn't have CSS decoding.

    Nawww, doesn't even see the disk. Best guess was a region code error,
    lame, failed drive, likely, most likely tried to add dvd software that
    screwed up the OS read on DVDs. Decoders and copyright with other
    software trying to read it. DOA. (Dead on Arrival).

    Out of my hands. I'm just triage.

    TheNIGHTCRAWLER
    (Look it up. It's important.)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triage