    Ok, it's time for another whats your favourite DVD ripping software
    thread...

    I want to know, because, well, I think it's pretty obvious.

    T.N.O., Dec 28, 2003

  2. T.N.O.

    cowboyz Guest

    T.N.O. wrote:
    > Ok, it's time for another whats your favourite DVD ripping software
    > thread...
    >
    > I want to know, because, well, I think it's pretty obvious.

    ok. In my DVD converting programs folder I have:

    dvdtoavi
    fitcd
    flaskmpeg_078_38
    GordianKnot (which I was going to look at but never got round to it)
    smartripper
    ssrc
    tmpgenc plus 2.59.47.155
    toolame
    virtualdub

    Everything I ever need. (until next week where I'll pickup my new DVD+R
    which I accidently hit the reserve on last night)

    cowboyz, Dec 29, 2003

  3. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    cowboyz wrote:
    > Everything I ever need. (until next week where I'll pickup my new DVD+R
    > which I accidently hit the reserve on last night)

    Accidentally? you mean you were bidding without the intention of buying?

    T.N.O., Dec 29, 2003
  4. On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 13:00:53 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:

    >T.N.O. wrote:
    >> Ok, it's time for another whats your favourite DVD ripping software
    >> thread...
    >>
    >> I want to know, because, well, I think it's pretty obvious.

    >ok. In my DVD converting programs folder I have:
    >
    >dvdtoavi
    >fitcd
    >flaskmpeg_078_38
    >GordianKnot (which I was going to look at but never got round to it)
    >smartripper
    >ssrc
    >tmpgenc plus 2.59.47.155
    >toolame
    >virtualdub

    If you're ripping to VCD or SVCD then DVD2SVCD is a nice package that
    integrates all the tools into a convenient menu-driven system.

    And, surprisingly enough -- if you use TMPGenc at a suitably high
    bitrate, you get very close to DVD-quality results. Try to keep the
    bitrate to > 2100 with 2-pass VBR and it's damned good -- usually
    requiring just 2 CDRs per full-length feature movie.

    The other advantage is that you can crop 16:9 widescreen movies to a
    more acceptable 1:85:1 so that they aren't grossly letter-boxed as is
    the case when playing the original DVD. Most of the time I tend to
    zoom such DVDs at 1.5 times -- but that's sometimes a little too much
    so using AVIsynth to zoom in to about 1.3x is brilliant.

    Bruce Simpson, Dec 29, 2003
  5. T.N.O.

    cowboyz Guest

    T.N.O. wrote:
    > cowboyz wrote:
    >> Everything I ever need. (until next week where I'll pickup my new
    >> DVD+R which I accidently hit the reserve on last night)

    > Accidentally? you mean you were bidding without the intention of
    > buying?

    funny really. I'll blame this little 15' monitor I borrowed to get dual
    display running again while I am in search of my new monitor.
    I had 2 DVD writers up , one on either screen. One is a ricoh 4x DVD+R.
    The other is a Pioneer DVD+_R+RAM I clicked on the wrong window (tired) and
    bid on the DVD+R instead of the +- +RAM drive. and it hit the reserve. I
    don't mind really. It will do but not what I was intending on buying. I
    like Ricoh anyway. Always had a really good run with them. We will see if
    anyone outbids me.

    cowboyz, Dec 29, 2003
  6. T.N.O.

    geoffm Guest

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 11:58:45 +1300, "T.N.O." <> wrote:

    >Ok, it's time for another whats your favourite DVD ripping software
    >thread...
    >
    >I want to know, because, well, I think it's pretty obvious.

    I use BackupDVD, which is simple "one button" DVD ripper and splits
    to suit the CD size. I sometimes need to rip to a single mpg file,
    then use Tmpeg to spilt the file, as occasionally it doesn't split
    them nicely, or only has 5 mins on the second disk and so on. Works
    well, easy to use and good enough.
    Geoff

    geoffm, Dec 29, 2003
  7. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    T.N.O. wrote:
    > Ok, it's time for another whats your favourite DVD ripping software
    > thread...
    > I want to know, because, well, I think it's pretty obvious.

    Im using DVDx 2.2 from sourceforge... seems fine, but slow. only
    7.3fps... I did have to choose 6 channel sound as the other options were
    commentry options(as in director, producer, Arnie)

    It seems to use 50% CPU for a few seconds, then nothing...
    OS is XP on a dual Athlon 1800+ with 512MB ram... the rest doesnt really
    matter.

    T.N.O., Dec 29, 2003
  8. T.N.O.

    cowboyz Guest

    T.N.O. wrote:
    > T.N.O. wrote:
    >> Ok, it's time for another whats your favourite DVD ripping software
    >> thread...
    >> I want to know, because, well, I think it's pretty obvious.

    > Im using DVDx 2.2 from sourceforge... seems fine, but slow. only
    > 7.3fps... I did have to choose 6 channel sound as the other options
    > were commentry options(as in director, producer, Arnie)
    >
    > It seems to use 50% CPU for a few seconds, then nothing...
    > OS is XP on a dual Athlon 1800+ with 512MB ram... the rest doesnt
    > really matter.

    This is for converting to SVCD? I am not sure what fps I would pull off
    converting to SVCD. I use tmpgenc + for converting now and it is damn slow
    but damn good results. Damn slow means 10-12 hours for 100mins video on
    XP2100+

    cowboyz, Dec 29, 2003
  9. T.N.O.

    GraB Guest

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 11:58:45 +1300, "T.N.O." <> wrote:

    >Ok, it's time for another whats your favourite DVD ripping software
    >thread...
    >
    >I want to know, because, well, I think it's pretty obvious.

    DVD Decrypter, Dr Divx. 8-12 hrs on Duron 1100, depending on movie.
    Can fit onto one CD usually (sometimes it has to be a 790 or 870Mb)
    and quality is near DVD.

    GraB, Dec 29, 2003
  10. T.N.O.

    steve Guest

    Cheapo DVD Players Re: DVD ripping software?

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 13:14:42 +1300, Bruce Simpson wrote:

    > And, surprisingly enough -- if you use TMPGenc at a suitably high
    > bitrate, you get very close to DVD-quality results. Try to keep the
    > bitrate to > 2100 with 2-pass VBR and it's damned good -- usually
    > requiring just 2 CDRs per full-length feature movie.

    My experience has been that SVCDs over 2100 will result in video
    corruption on cheapo DVD players. They just don't have enough buffer to
    cope with the throughput if you get a lot of action scenes.

    By keeping the data rate at about 1950 or below, I avoid the corruption
    problem.

    I have seen this on a Mustek DVD player - the $229 one sold at DSE a year
    ago.

    Try your luck....the newer ones will either be:

    better (newer!) or worse (cheaper!).

    steve, Dec 29, 2003
  11. T.N.O.

    cowboyz Guest

    Re: Cheapo DVD Players Re: DVD ripping software?

    steve wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 13:14:42 +1300, Bruce Simpson wrote:
    >

    >> And, surprisingly enough -- if you use TMPGenc at a suitably high
    >> bitrate, you get very close to DVD-quality results. Try to keep the
    >> bitrate to > 2100 with 2-pass VBR and it's damned good -- usually
    >> requiring just 2 CDRs per full-length feature movie.

    > My experience has been that SVCDs over 2100 will result in video
    > corruption on cheapo DVD players. They just don't have enough buffer
    > to cope with the throughput if you get a lot of action scenes.
    >
    > By keeping the data rate at about 1950 or below, I avoid the
    > corruption problem.
    >
    > I have seen this on a Mustek DVD player - the $229 one sold at DSE a
    > year ago.
    >
    > Try your luck....the newer ones will either be:
    >
    > better (newer!) or worse (cheaper!).

    encoding at 2200 avg 2500max 1200 min plays good as gold on the transonic
    and they dont get any cheaper than those me thinks?

    cowboyz, Dec 29, 2003
  12. T.N.O.

    SharkSYA Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > Ok, it's time for another whats your favourite DVD ripping software
    > thread...
    >
    > I want to know, because, well, I think it's pretty obvious.

    Super DVD Ripper. Trial download

    http://www.dvdtodivx.net/download.htm

    --
    SharkSYA

    SharkSYA, Dec 29, 2003
  13. T.N.O.

    ~misfit~ Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 11:58:45 +1300, "T.N.O." <> wrote:
    >
    >> Ok, it's time for another whats your favourite DVD ripping software
    >> thread...
    >>
    >> I want to know, because, well, I think it's pretty obvious.

    > DVD Decrypter, Dr Divx. 8-12 hrs on Duron 1100, depending on movie.
    > Can fit onto one CD usually (sometimes it has to be a 790 or 870Mb)
    > and quality is near DVD.

    That's the combo I've used too. I find it works best at no more than about 1
    hour of video per 700MB CDR. Just gotta get me a DVD-ROM now so I don't have
    to hook up to a friend's machine through the network.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Dec 29, 2003
  14. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    cowboyz wrote:
    >>It seems to use 50% CPU for a few seconds, then nothing...
    >>OS is XP on a dual Athlon 1800+ with 512MB ram... the rest doesnt
    >>really matter.

    > This is for converting to SVCD? I am not sure what fps I would pull off
    > converting to SVCD. I use tmpgenc + for converting now and it is damn slow
    > but damn good results. Damn slow means 10-12 hours for 100mins video on
    > XP2100+

    One hour 40 mins took 5 hrs 26 mins to convert to SVCD and it looks just
    as good as the DVD does...

    Very very pretty... I don't seem to be able to convert to Divx, so I
    might have to fiddle with some settings.

    T.N.O., Dec 29, 2003
  15. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    steve wrote:
    > My experience has been that SVCDs over 2100 will result in video
    > corruption on cheapo DVD players. They just don't have enough buffer to
    > cope with the throughput if you get a lot of action scenes.
    > Try your luck....the newer ones will either be:
    > better (newer!) or worse (cheaper!).

    I'll try it tomorrow... I got a Transonic 5.1 for Xmas, hence why I have
    a DVD(Terminator 3)

    T.N.O., Dec 29, 2003
  16. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>DVD Decrypter, Dr Divx. 8-12 hrs on Duron 1100, depending on movie.
    >>Can fit onto one CD usually (sometimes it has to be a 790 or 870Mb)
    >>and quality is near DVD.

    > That's the combo I've used too. I find it works best at no more than about 1
    > hour of video per 700MB CDR. Just gotta get me a DVD-ROM now so I don't have
    > to hook up to a friend's machine through the network.

    DVD De-Crypter is working now... Dr Divx is being downloaded as I type.

    T.N.O., Dec 29, 2003
  17. T.N.O.

    Craig Shore Guest

    <> wrote:

    >The other advantage is that you can crop 16:9 widescreen movies to a
    >more acceptable 1:85:1 so that they aren't grossly letter-boxed as is
    >the case when playing the original DVD. Most of the time I tend to
    >zoom such DVDs at 1.5 times -- but that's sometimes a little too much
    >so using AVIsynth to zoom in to about 1.3x is brilliant.

    So you're losing a heap of the picture off the sides then?

    Craig Shore, Dec 29, 2003
  18. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    T.N.O. wrote:
    > DVD De-Crypter is working now... Dr Divx is being downloaded as I type.

    I have ended up using a guide from doom9.org about divx/xvid encoding,
    and it is very handy.
    Currently making an Xvid at ~90fps :)

    T.N.O., Dec 29, 2003
  19. T.N.O.

    cowboyz Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > T.N.O. wrote:
    > > DVD De-Crypter is working now... Dr Divx is being downloaded as I type.

    > I have ended up using a guide from doom9.org about divx/xvid encoding,
    > and it is very handy.
    > Currently making an Xvid at ~90fps :)

    I found Xvid to be very fast also. but the speed thrill soon wears off when
    the compatibility thing hits ya. I can encode DIVX at 35fps which doesn't
    take long at all and file sizes are smaller than SVCD and all is good BUT
    the DVD players can't play them so I choose to spend the extra time on SVCD
    encoding. If I knock the setttings off I can encode SVCD in about 2 hours
    (for 90 mins video) but the quality is what I'm after.

    cowboyz, Dec 29, 2003
  20. On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 10:21:46 GMT, (Craig
    Shore) wrote:

    >On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 13:14:42 +1300, Bruce Simpson
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>The other advantage is that you can crop 16:9 widescreen movies to a
    >>more acceptable 1:85:1 so that they aren't grossly letter-boxed as is
    >>the case when playing the original DVD. Most of the time I tend to
    >>zoom such DVDs at 1.5 times -- but that's sometimes a little too much
    >>so using AVIsynth to zoom in to about 1.3x is brilliant.

    >So you're losing a heap of the picture off the sides then?

    Not a heap, just 90 pixels on each side when converting 16:9 to
    1.85:1. I can't say that any of the conversions I've done have
    resulted in important parts of the picture being lost.

    The alternative is to view at 16:9 letterboxed and waste 50% of hour
    TV's screen area :-(

    Bruce Simpson, Dec 30, 2003