    Does anyone know of a freeware DVD ripper that will convert my DVD
    collection to mpeg-4 or DivX?

    Matt
    Matt, Jan 30, 2006

  2. Matt

    Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 00:04:13 -0600, "Matt" <> wrote:

    >Does anyone know of a freeware DVD ripper that will convert my DVD
    >collection to mpeg-4 or DivX?
    >
    >Matt

    Stop pirating dickhead
    , Jan 30, 2006

  3. Matt

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 17:39:21 +1100, <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 00:04:13 -0600, "Matt" <> wrote:

    >>Does anyone know of a freeware DVD ripper that will convert my DVD
    >>collection to mpeg-4 or DivX?
    >>
    >>Matt
    >>

    >Stop pirating dickhead

    I don't think he's pirating dickheads. Looks more like dvds is what
    he's pirating.
    AZ Nomad, Jan 30, 2006
  4. Matt

    Goro Guest

    wrote:
    > On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 00:04:13 -0600, "Matt" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Does anyone know of a freeware DVD ripper that will convert my DVD
    > >collection to mpeg-4 or DivX?
    > >
    > >Matt
    > >

    > Stop pirating dickhead

    It's not nec. pirating, you know. There are reasonable reasons to
    convert DVDs to xvids. having a nice 1.4G version on the laptop is
    much nicer than having to carry aroudn the dvd. And especially if you
    like tv eps like Aqua Teen or Futurama, it's quite convenient to
    convert them into nice small files to carry around for entertainment.

    -goro-
    Goro, Jan 30, 2006
  5. Matt

    Bob Guest

    On 30 Jan 2006 06:57:36 -0800, "Goro" <> wrote:

    >> Stop pirating dickhead

    >It's not nec. pirating, you know. There are reasonable reasons to
    >convert DVDs to xvids. having a nice 1.4G version on the laptop is
    >much nicer than having to carry aroudn the dvd. And especially if you
    >like tv eps like Aqua Teen or Futurama, it's quite convenient to
    >convert them into nice small files to carry around for entertainment.

    You do not have to justify your actions to these dickhead trolls.

    You have the right of fair use of the material you paid for.

    --

    "It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession.
    I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."
    Bob, Jan 30, 2006
  6. Matt

    Guest

    On 30 Jan 2006 06:57:36 -0800, "Goro" <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 00:04:13 -0600, "Matt" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Does anyone know of a freeware DVD ripper that will convert my DVD
    >> >collection to mpeg-4 or DivX?
    >> >
    >> >Matt
    >> >

    >> Stop pirating dickhead

    >It's not nec. pirating, you know. There are reasonable reasons to
    >convert DVDs to xvids.

    Umm, not really. Going from DVD to DivX/Xvid achieves a downgrade in
    picture and sound quality. The only advantage in doing this is to
    reduce the size of a DVD movie/film & making it easier to pirate and
    distribute over P2P networks.
    , Jan 31, 2006
  7. Matt

    Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 15:53:09 GMT, (Bob) wrote:

    >On 30 Jan 2006 06:57:36 -0800, "Goro" <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Stop pirating dickhead

    >>It's not nec. pirating, you know. There are reasonable reasons to
    >>convert DVDs to xvids. having a nice 1.4G version on the laptop is
    >>much nicer than having to carry aroudn the dvd. And especially if you
    >>like tv eps like Aqua Teen or Futurama, it's quite convenient to
    >>convert them into nice small files to carry around for entertainment.

    >You do not have to justify your actions to these dickhead trolls.

    The only troll is you, fuckwit.

    >You have the right of fair use of the material you paid for.

    You have the right to get fucked.
    , Jan 31, 2006
  8. Matt

    Goro Guest

    wrote:
    *snip*
    > >It's not nec. pirating, you know. There are reasonable reasons to
    > >convert DVDs to xvids.

    > Umm, not really. Going from DVD to DivX/Xvid achieves a downgrade in
    > picture and sound quality. The only advantage in doing this is to
    > reduce the size of a DVD movie/film & making it easier to pirate and
    > distribute over P2P networks.

    Picture and sound are noticeably downgraded on conversion. yes, this
    is blatantly true so it's not really desirable to watch an xvid. With
    bandwidth as it is these days, people are sharing full DVD9s now
    instead of DVD5s in preference to xvids.

    the only advantage is to reduce the size of the DVD image. But NOT
    NECESSARILY for filesharing. As i stated above (and which you
    snipped), if you want to keep tv shows or movies on your laptop and
    don't want the hassle of carrying around a bunch of dvds, then it's a
    nice compromise to keep hi-bitrate xvids. And if you use hibitrate
    x264, the size is really small and the quality is much better than
    xvid.

    And soemtimes i take small snippets, like some of the fight scenes from
    ONG BAK and TOM YUM GOONG and make really small .wmvs out of them and
    keep them on my iPaq so that i can show people. I think you can do
    something similar for PSP if you've got the hack for the firmware.

    -goro-
    Goro, Jan 31, 2006
  9. Matt

    Bob Guest

    On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 19:52:45 +1100, "" <> wrote:

    >>It's not nec. pirating, you know. There are reasonable reasons to
    >>convert DVDs to xvids.

    >Umm, not really. Going from DVD to DivX/Xvid achieves a downgrade in
    >picture and sound quality. The only advantage in doing this is to
    >reduce the size of a DVD movie/film & making it easier to pirate and
    >distribute over P2P networks.

    It also reduces the number of DVD discs needed to store the video.
    Eventually we will store videos on hard drives and play them on
    networked players connected to the TV. If someone would make a DVDR so
    that we could capture TV programs to MPEG4 - on hard disk or on DVD
    disc - then we will have the ultimate solution.

    Bob, Jan 31, 2006
  10. Matt

    Bob Guest

    On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 19:54:45 +1100, "" <bot> wrote:

    >>You do not have to justify your actions to these dickhead trolls.

    >The only troll is you, fuckwit.

    >>You have the right of fair use of the material you paid for.

    >You have the right to get fucked.

    <yawn>

    Bob, Jan 31, 2006
  11. Matt

    Bob Guest

    On 31 Jan 2006 05:50:33 -0800, "Goro" <> wrote:

    >> Umm, not really. Going from DVD to DivX/Xvid achieves a downgrade in
    >> picture and sound quality. The only advantage in doing this is to
    >> reduce the size of a DVD movie/film & making it easier to pirate and
    >> distribute over P2P networks.

    >Picture and sound are noticeably downgraded on conversion. yes, this
    >is blatantly true so it's not really desirable to watch an xvid.

    While there are some terrible XviDs out there, there are some very
    good ones too. It all depends on where you find them.

    Bob, Jan 31, 2006