DVD rip is shorter than the original and the Divx encode is evenshorter with missing microchunks - h

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by gaffo, Sep 24, 2003.

  1. gaffo

    gaffo Guest

    Blood Simple is 1:35 minutes long.

    after both Smartripper and DVDcrypter the movie becomes 1:27 minutes
    when I use Dr Divx this is what I'm told.

    I encode one file to 1-gig (I use 99-minuteCDrs).........finished Divx
    movie is now 1:17 minutes long. Every minute or so there are missing
    1/4sec audio and video.

    frames are not being dropped........just missing frames.

    Both Smart and DVD tell me the rip is fine.

    I don't want to try Vstrip - look too complicated ;-/.

    Whats going on?.........the other rips pf other DVD's rip/encode and
    playback fine.

    thank you for your time.

    gaffo, Sep 24, 2003

  2. gaffo

    DarkMatter Guest

    Re: DVD rip is shorter than the original and the Divx encode is even shorter with missing microchunks - help?

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:32:15 -0500, gaffo <> Gave us:

    Snipped off topic retarded bullshit.

    Wrong group, RETARD boy.

    Leave alt.video.dvd OUT of your stupid Rip It questions!

    DarkMatter, Sep 24, 2003

  3. Re: DVD rip is shorter than the original and the Divx encode is even shorter with missing microchunks - help?

    Somone piss in your wheatybangs?

    "DarkMatter" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:32:15 -0500, gaffo <> Gave us:
    >

    > Snipped off topic retarded bullshit.
    >
    > Wrong group, RETARD boy.
    >
    > Leave alt.video.dvd OUT of your stupid Rip It questions!

    and yes I top posted, coz that probably narks you too...

    The Shaggy DA, Sep 24, 2003
  4. gaffo

    DarkMatter Guest

    Re: DVD rip is shorter than the original and the Divx encode is even shorter with missing microchunks - help?

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 13:40:50 +0100, "The Shaggy DA" <> Gave us:

    snipped retarded baby bullshit.

    >and yes I top posted, coz that probably narks you too...

    All it really does is mark you as the total usenet retard that you
    obviously are.

    DarkMatter, Sep 24, 2003
  5. Re: DVD rip is shorter than the original and the Divx encode is even shorter with missing microchunks - help?

    Certainly like the word "retard", don't you? Was it a common expression you
    heard around you growing up? Y'know, something to latch onto? Your first
    word maybe?

    The Shaggy DA, Sep 24, 2003
  6. gaffo

    Jason Guest

    "gaffo" <> wrote in message
    > Blood Simple is 1:35 minutes long.
    >
    > after both Smartripper and DVDcrypter the movie becomes 1:27 minutes
    > when I use Dr Divx this is what I'm told.
    >
    > I encode one file to 1-gig (I use 99-minuteCDrs).........finished Divx
    > movie is now 1:17 minutes long. Every minute or so there are missing
    > 1/4sec audio and video.
    >
    > frames are not being dropped........just missing frames.
    >

    > Both Smart and DVD tell me the rip is fine.
    >

    > I don't want to try Vstrip - look too complicated ;-/.
    >
    > Whats going on?.........the other rips pf other DVD's rip/encode and
    > playback fine.
    >
    > thank you for your time.

    Rip the mpeg2/ac3 to your harddrive, not the disc image decssed. Unless you
    are going to burn a DVD, their is no reason to rip the entire contents of
    the disk.

    Jason, Sep 24, 2003
  7. gaffo

    gaffo Guest

    Jason wrote:
    > "gaffo" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Blood Simple is 1:35 minutes long.
    >>
    >>after both Smartripper and DVDcrypter the movie becomes 1:27 minutes
    >>when I use Dr Divx this is what I'm told.
    >>
    >>I encode one file to 1-gig (I use 99-minuteCDrs).........finished Divx
    >>movie is now 1:17 minutes long. Every minute or so there are missing
    >>1/4sec audio and video.
    >>
    >>frames are not being dropped........just missing frames.
    >>

    >>Both Smart and DVD tell me the rip is fine.
    >>

    >>I don't want to try Vstrip - look too complicated ;-/.
    >>
    >>Whats going on?.........the other rips pf other DVD's rip/encode and
    >>playback fine.
    >>
    >>thank you for your time.
    >>

    > Rip the mpeg2/ac3 to your harddrive, not the disc image decssed. Unless you
    > are going to burn a DVD, their is no reason to rip the entire contents of
    > the disk.

    thats what I did........just the main 4 or 5 VOB files. Smartripper
    seems to pick the relivant files automatically for me.

    Still the file onthe hardrive is 97 percent complete and 3-percent missing.

    the Divx has fragments of words/frames cut out. ex. "Houston" is
    "uston"......etc.............all three test encodes using the two
    rippers and Dr Divx ended up with the same missing parts in the same spot.

    the rip is not complete even though I'm told that it is.

    ideas?

    thanks.

    gaffo, Sep 25, 2003
  8. gaffo

    Jason Guest

    "gaffo" <> wrote in message
    > Jason wrote:
    > > "gaffo" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Blood Simple is 1:35 minutes long.
    > >>
    > >>after both Smartripper and DVDcrypter the movie becomes 1:27 minutes
    > >>when I use Dr Divx this is what I'm told.
    > >>
    > >>I encode one file to 1-gig (I use 99-minuteCDrs).........finished Divx
    > >>movie is now 1:17 minutes long. Every minute or so there are missing
    > >>1/4sec audio and video.
    > >>
    > >>frames are not being dropped........just missing frames.
    > >>

    > >>Both Smart and DVD tell me the rip is fine.
    > >>

    > >>I don't want to try Vstrip - look too complicated ;-/.
    > >>
    > >>Whats going on?.........the other rips pf other DVD's rip/encode and
    > >>playback fine.
    > >>
    > >>thank you for your time.
    > >>

    > > Rip the mpeg2/ac3 to your harddrive, not the disc image decssed. Unless

    you
    > > are going to burn a DVD, their is no reason to rip the entire contents

    of
    > > the disk.
    > >

    > thats what I did........just the main 4 or 5 VOB files. Smartripper
    > seems to pick the relivant files automatically for me.
    >
    > Still the file onthe hardrive is 97 percent complete and 3-percent

    missing.

    > the Divx has fragments of words/frames cut out. ex. "Houston" is
    > "uston"......etc.............all three test encodes using the two
    > rippers and Dr Divx ended up with the same missing parts in the same spot.
    >
    > the rip is not complete even though I'm told that it is.
    >
    > ideas?

    If that is what you did, you should not have .VOB files. You should have
    movie.avi (this should be mpeg2/AC3). Only plausible on NTFS or ext2
    (because of the filesize limit.) What movie are you trying to encode?
    Somewhere, in one of the packages you are using, I would imagine their is a
    bug. Might try to download newer/older versions or rip/decss the DVD with a
    different piece of software. I encode my movies directly from the DVD so I
    don't have this problem.

    Jason, Sep 25, 2003
  9. gaffo

    gaffo Guest

    Jason wrote:

    > "gaffo" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Jason wrote:
    >>
    >>>"gaffo" <> wrote in message

    >>>Rip the mpeg2/ac3 to your harddrive, not the disc image decssed. Unless

    > you
    >
    >>>are going to burn a DVD, their is no reason to rip the entire contents

    > of
    >
    >>>the disk.
    >>>

    >>thats what I did........just the main 4 or 5 VOB files. Smartripper
    >>seems to pick the relivant files automatically for me.
    >>
    >>Still the file onthe hardrive is 97 percent complete and 3-percent

    > missing.
    >
    >>the Divx has fragments of words/frames cut out. ex. "Houston" is
    >>"uston"......etc.............all three test encodes using the two
    >>rippers and Dr Divx ended up with the same missing parts in the same spot.
    >>
    >>the rip is not complete even though I'm told that it is.
    >>
    >>ideas?
    >>

    > If that is what you did, you should not have .VOB files.

    After I rip the DVD onto my harddrive I end up with 4 VOB
    files......each 1,048,000 in size.

    then I have Dr Divx collect them and encode it to Divx5.02.

    You should have
    > movie.avi (this should be mpeg2/AC3).

    they say they are "vob" files in my exporer window. (under filetype column)

    Only plausible on NTFS or ext2
    > (because of the filesize limit.)

    2.1 gigs? or 1.2 gigs........I forgot........yes I use FAT32 so the
    limit remains............I think.

    I do have a divx of Blackhawk down which reads as one file in exporer
    and is 2.2 gigs!!!!!.....wierd. I later split it to 1 gig and burn to
    two 99-minutes CDr's.

    I've encoded maybe 4 movies now without trouble. It so much easier than
    using DeCSS and Flack and all that other crap from 2-3 yrs ago. That was
    too much trouble IMO. So stopped after 3 or so movies (those CDr's all
    developed pinholes in them too btw.......so CDr's data ain't that durable)

    What movie are you trying to encode?

    Coen Brother's first movie "Blood Simple"...........should fit fine on
    99-minute CDr with 1600 VBR........90-percent DVD quality IMO ;-).

    > Somewhere, in one of the packages you are using, I would imagine their is a
    > bug.

    Well I know Dr Divx is buggy. Its avi segmenter is a no go. So i have to
    encode a 2-gig and then use Easy Video Splitter to get 2 - 1 gig CDr's
    worth of avi files.

    no other bug has hit me, though I've seen posts from others here who
    have trouble with other Dr Divx features (stuff which works on my
    machine -weird).

    Might try to download newer/older versions or rip/decss the DVD with a
    > different piece of software.

    well........last options are the original DeCss and Vstrip (of the ones
    I have now.............I assume there are at least 20 apss on the net I
    could try........but at some point i'll jsut say f^&k it and give up.

    I encode my movies directly from the DVD

    how do you do that??????????????

    so I
    > don't have this problem.

    maybe I should try that method. It gotta be easy...life too short ...one
    can grow old before their time try to get computers to work (esp. my
    Via-crapware based PC).

    thanks for your reply!

    gaffo, Sep 25, 2003
  10. gaffo

    gaffo Guest

    Jason wrote:
    > "gaffo" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Jason wrote:
    >>
    >>>"gaffo" <> wrote in message

    >>>Rip the mpeg2/ac3 to your harddrive, not the disc image decssed. Unless

    > you
    >
    >>>are going to burn a DVD, their is no reason to rip the entire contents

    > of
    >
    >>>the disk.
    >>>

    >>thats what I did........just the main 4 or 5 VOB files. Smartripper
    >>seems to pick the relivant files automatically for me.
    >>
    >>Still the file onthe hardrive is 97 percent complete and 3-percent

    > missing.
    >
    >>the Divx has fragments of words/frames cut out. ex. "Houston" is
    >>"uston"......etc.............all three test encodes using the two
    >>rippers and Dr Divx ended up with the same missing parts in the same spot.
    >>
    >>the rip is not complete even though I'm told that it is.
    >>
    >>ideas?
    >>

    > If that is what you did, you should not have .VOB files. You should have
    > movie.avi (this should be mpeg2/AC3). Only plausible on NTFS or ext2
    > (because of the filesize limit.) What movie are you trying to encode?
    > Somewhere, in one of the packages you are using, I would imagine their is a
    > bug. Might try to download newer/older versions or rip/decss the DVD with a
    > different piece of software. I encode my movies directly from the DVD so I
    > don't have this problem.
    >

    >>thanks.

    figured it out. Dr Divx is the weak link. my DVD rip is fine - i tried
    playnghte VOB on the hardrive and it is ok and complete.

    Wierd.........the other 4 0r 5 moives encoded just fine using Dr Divx.

    I'll try Vidomi then. hopefully I don't need a CS degree to figure out
    the app.

    thanks.

    gaffo, Sep 25, 2003
  11. gaffo

    Booser Guest

    gaffo <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Jason wrote:
    >
    > > "gaffo" <> wrote in message

    > > you

    > > of

    > >>thats what I did........just the main 4 or 5 VOB files. Smartripper
    > >>seems to pick the relivant files automatically for me.
    > >>
    > >>Still the file onthe hardrive is 97 percent complete and 3-percent

    > > missing.
    > >
    > >>the Divx has fragments of words/frames cut out. ex. "Houston" is
    > >>"uston"......etc.............all three test encodes using the two
    > >>rippers and Dr Divx ended up with the same missing parts in the same spot.
    > >>
    > >>the rip is not complete even though I'm told that it is.
    > >>
    > >>ideas?
    > >>

    > > If that is what you did, you should not have .VOB files.

    > After I rip the DVD onto my harddrive I end up with 4 VOB
    > files......each 1,048,000 in size.
    >

    > then I have Dr Divx collect them and encode it to Divx5.02.
    >

    > You should have
    > > movie.avi (this should be mpeg2/AC3).

    > they say they are "vob" files in my exporer window. (under filetype column)

    Yes, because you are not ripping the movie, you are ripping the files.
    Slight difference. If you rip the movie to a "normal" avi, you get a
    avi file.

    > Only plausible on NTFS or ext2
    > > (because of the filesize limit.)

    > 2.1 gigs? or 1.2 gigs........I forgot........yes I use FAT32 so the
    > limit remains............I think.

    I think it is a 4 gig limit. Most movies are smaller then that.
    Since you are ripping the VOPs instead of the movies, this isn't a
    problem.

    > I do have a divx of Blackhawk down which reads as one file in exporer
    > and is 2.2 gigs!!!!!.....wierd. I later split it to 1 gig and burn to
    > two 99-minutes CDr's.
    >
    > I've encoded maybe 4 movies now without trouble. It so much easier than
    > using DeCSS and Flack and all that other crap from 2-3 yrs ago. That was
    > too much trouble IMO. So stopped after 3 or so movies (those CDr's all
    > developed pinholes in them too btw.......so CDr's data ain't that durable)

    If you have linux, try mplayerhq.hu, best encoder on the market.
    Fastest one I can find. Else, Dr. Divx works but is a little on the
    expensive side.

    > What movie are you trying to encode?
    >

    > Coen Brother's first movie "Blood Simple"...........should fit fine on
    > 99-minute CDr with 1600 VBR........90-percent DVD quality IMO ;-).
    >

    > > Somewhere, in one of the packages you are using, I would imagine their is a
    > > bug.

    > Well I know Dr Divx is buggy. Its avi segmenter is a no go. So i have to
    > encode a 2-gig and then use Easy Video Splitter to get 2 - 1 gig CDr's
    > worth of avi files.
    >
    > no other bug has hit me, though I've seen posts from others here who
    > have trouble with other Dr Divx features (stuff which works on my
    > machine -weird).
    >

    > Might try to download newer/older versions or rip/decss the DVD with a
    > > different piece of software.

    > well........last options are the original DeCss and Vstrip (of the ones
    > I have now.............I assume there are at least 20 apss on the net I
    > could try........but at some point i'll jsut say f^&k it and give up.
    >

    > I encode my movies directly from the DVD
    >

    > how do you do that??????????????

    Linux. Mencoder with MP3Lame

    mencoder -dvd 1 -alang en -oac mp3lame -lameopts vbr=3:br=128 -ovc
    frameno -o frameno.avi > audiopass.log

    mencoder -dvd 1 -alang en -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts
    vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1600:vpass=1 -o /dev/null > vpass1.log

    mencoder -dvd 1 -alang en -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts
    vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1600:vpass=1 -o "Killer Klowns from Outer
    Space.avi" > vpass2.log

    If you have widescreen, make sure you do mplayer -dvd 1 -vop
    dropdetect
    then add -vop crop=x1:y1:x2:y2

    Also, a windows program called easyDivx or something like that will do
    it. I got it off some Indian site. It will rip directly from the
    DVD, but it has a high penaltly because of that.

    Booser, Sep 25, 2003