DVD Region Encoding

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by gus, Mar 15, 2007.

  1. gus

    gus Guest

    I have a PC with a Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-352N Combo drive. I'm trying
    to read and copy material from a DVD which I know to have been made in
    a different Region than mine. Unfortunately, I don't know the specific
    Region
    it was made in. This is a home DVD made on another PC - it is not
    copyrighted
    or copy-protected material.

    When I open Windows Explorer for the DVD, the contents are blank. My
    questions are:

    -How do I tell if I have a Region-encoding problem, vs possibly
    another problem
    with this DVD?

    -If it's a Region-encoding problem, how do I figure out for which
    Region this
    DVD was encoded?

    -Is there a way I can hack my drive to read DVD's for all Regions?

    Answers and/or pointers to explanatory web sites appreciated.

    Gus

    gus, Mar 15, 2007

  2. gus

    Stuart Guest

    "gus" <> wrote in message
    >I have a PC with a Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-352N Combo drive. I'm trying
    > to read and copy material from a DVD which I know to have been made in
    > a different Region than mine. Unfortunately, I don't know the specific
    > Region
    > it was made in. This is a home DVD made on another PC - it is not
    > copyrighted
    > or copy-protected material.
    >
    > When I open Windows Explorer for the DVD, the contents are blank. My
    > questions are:
    >
    > -How do I tell if I have a Region-encoding problem, vs possibly
    > another problem
    > with this DVD?
    >
    > -If it's a Region-encoding problem, how do I figure out for which
    > Region this
    > DVD was encoded?
    >
    > -Is there a way I can hack my drive to read DVD's for all Regions?
    >
    > Answers and/or pointers to explanatory web sites appreciated.
    >
    > Gus

    If the DVD you are trying to copy was made on another PC, ie it is NOT a
    commercially pressed DVD, then it will not have any region coding on it. It
    sounds like the DVD in question has nothing on it. You could download the
    trial version of ISOBuster to check out the DVD.

    Stuart, Mar 15, 2007

  3. gus

    Stuart Guest

    http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_result.php?kaj=1&isces